Moto Droid for $20???

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by mathren, May 12, 2010.

1. mathren

mathren New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    This has probably been posted a million times. Sorry, I tried searching!

I was previously a long time G1 user - to be perfectly honest I miss the keyboard. Anyway...One night I was fed up with the performance and decided to buy the Moto Droid from Verizon for two reasons: A) Superior network to T-MO B) Superior phone. I was able the get the activation fee waived and purchased the "bundle" which includes a case+clip, the car charger, and a jabra wired headset. I got out of the door paying $395.00 with eligibility for a $100.00 rebate.

Much to my dismay, I strolled across Amazon tonight and found that the Moto Droid is being sold for $19.99 with a 2-year plan. To make matters worse, the exact components included in my "bundle" were priced from $4 to $6...essentially making the total for an equivalent purchase under $50 - quite a difference.

On to my question: Is there any advantage to purchasing the aforementioned equipment through Verizon? I can understand a 15-20$ discount through a third party...but 90%? How is this even possible? I'm contemplating returning everything and cancelling my plan as it will probably still end up being cost effective.

This is simply bad business on Verizon's part from my perspective...hopefully I'm missing something.

2. mathren

mathren New Member

Ratings:
    +0
  3. BigRigSRT

BigRigSRT New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    holy ****!!

4. texasPI

texasPI Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Well, if you read the fine print at Amazon (don't recall what it says), you'll also be entering into an agreement with Amazon in addition to the one with VZW. I believe that you have to have the phone active for 6 months to satisfy the Amazon agreement. I wish I could take advantage of some of these deals from third party providers but I only do 1 year contracts and those are only available through VZW.

Here's the AMZN fine print:

5. altjx

altjx Member

Ratings:
    +3
    i was reading that a few days ago also. are those phones refurbished or something? $20, that's just crazy. for someone who don't mind sticking with one phone for awhile, that'd be a great deal for them

6. mathren

mathren New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    They're not refurbished. It's the exact same product that you find at the Verizon store.

7. altjx

altjx Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Wow, that's so cheap for a brand new phone. I don't understand why though. And it's just that you have to have a contract with Amazon for 6 month? What's the bad part in that?

8. mathren

mathren New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Consider the fine print in your worst case scenario:

If you cancelled at 5 months after buying a phone through Amazon...you'd basically be spending $70.00 more than you would if you cancelled at 5 months after purchasing a phone through Verizon. Hardly a deal breaker. In fact, it doesn't even come close.

9. FDFTW!!

FDFTW!! Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I got 2 DROID's from LetsTalk.com for $39.98. The price was the main factor in my switching from AT&T to Verizon. Well that and the crappy reception.

10. geedowt

geedowt New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    yep amazonwireless.com is awesome. i upgraded to the droid a few months back on a existing verizon family plan. paid something like 40-50 bucks. saved me from dropping 200 for literally the exact same thing. the only difference is RMA issues are handled initially thru AW.com however if you opt for the insurance in your contract i think you can go to your local carrier store.

11. darkespawn

darkespawn New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    my friend bought 2 droids this weekend from wirefly.com for $20 each, he said that he paid through Bing and they bing gave him a $100 gift certificate.

i thought i did good getting mine at best buy a ferw months ago for $100

12. nooter99

nooter99 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I've been with Verizon for several years. My wife's line is eligible for an upgrade, so I assume this deal would work in that case, right?

Search tags for this page

20 dollar droid

android phone 20 dollars

android phones for 20 dollars

android under 20 dollars

androids for sale for 20 dollars

androids under 20 dollars

droid x 20 dollars

if you purchase a droid a855 that is no contract will it tak

motorola razor 20 dollars

twenty dollar android phones