Moto Droid/Android.....Are We Beta Testers?

rlandon

Reaction score
I've had my Moto Droid since November and it has worked ok but had numerous quirks requiring power off resets or the occasional battery pull to get an app or two working again. Just this week my browsers (both Dolphin and OEM browser) no longer work. A reboot doesn't help. I've had problems with the mp3 player, Pandora, and Droid Live that would require me to restart the phone in order for them to initially play but die after I opened another app.

I feel like Moto and Google have been using me as a beta tester for their service, but worse because I'm having to pay for this service! At least with a software beta in most cases, it FREE! I'm taking the phone back to Verizon and asking for a replacement Moto Droid. If the replacement continues to work the same way, then my days with Android may be limited. Don't get me wrong I like the phone and it's potential, but right now it's not what I think I should be shelling out the $$$ for. I've patiently awaited this reported Jan bug fix, but nothing and not sure when we will see 2.1 without rooting the phone and having to fix it (possibly) myself. Should I really be the one having to do this?? Shouldn't Moto/Verizon do this for it's customers??

Anyway, I sit here a semi-functioning phone with loads of potential but can't even browse the web or play a song on it.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Anyway, I sit here a semi-functioning phone with loads of potential but can't even browse the web or play a song on it.

Mine did that OOTB.... What have you done with yours?

Guchi

Reaction score
install app list and then post a full list of your installed apps here most driod problems like your having come from bad apps from the market (remember you could put almost anything there which has its advantages and disadvantages). maybe one of the members here has had the same experience and you can narrow it down to one of them and get fixed up. i have less problems with my droid than i did with my samsung omnia for sure

bigthinker

Reaction score
Some apps are certainly bad news.....Just be careful what you load onto the device. I just downloaded Chomp SMS to the Droid hearing great reviews....NOW 2000+ contacts have dissappeared.....Nowhere to be found. Removed APP and will NEVER load that one again....

Houndstooth

Reaction score
In a word, yes.

But that's how it works with 1st generation hardware and some software, especially when it's trying to do something new. Personally, I expected it and while some stuff can be annoying, I just figure no pain, no gain.

floyd

Reaction score
I also feel we are beta testers. But for whom? Motorola? Verizon? Google? There is no single point of contact to get support or report bugs. And rah rah cheerleading sites like this are not particulary useful. The fragmentation of the Android platforrm is becoming increasingly worrisome, especially after google came out with a clearly superior phone with the N1.

We are geting sodomized, by all three companies, as usual.

There is no way to diagnose problems on this phone without knowing what has been installed. No app for that? What a surprise.

I think Aplle, as much as I despise them, may be the way to go.

natediddy1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
I don't have those problems. The only times Ive ever did a battery pull was because it was running kinda slow and thought I might need to give it a fresh start so to speak. And that's only been maybe 3 or 4 times tops...I think people come from BB or windows mobile being used to having to do these things and then are over doing it with their android phones with battery pulls and things like virus/security apps, whenever android doesn't need it

Houndstooth

Reaction score
I also feel we are beta testers. But for whom? Motorola? Verizon? Google? There is no single point of contact to get support or report bugs. And rah rah cheerleading sites like this are not particulary useful. The fragmentation of the Android platforrm is becoming increasingly worrisome, especially after google came out with a clearly superior phone with the N1.

There is no way to diagnose problems on this phone without knowing what has been installed. No app for that? What a surprise.

Hey now, I wouldn't go that far. Apple continues to have its problems too. They want a sterile environment that they can control...hence they have no flash. That's not exactly ideal either. Moreover, they keep pushing products out the door and in a way, that leaves their other products behind. My friend has a 3G iPhone which is slow as molasses because of the firmware update for 3Gs iPhones. We just have to be patient is all.

natediddy1120

Silver Member
Reaction score

You've got to be kidding...hows this site not useful? I have been able to get my already awesome performing Droid, to perform beyond what I ever thought it was capable of doing, just solely by reading this site! And that is a fact. This is the best piece of technology ive ever owned in my life, and for people like you to put a luxury like the droid down just tells me that you are never satisfied with anything in life and dont appreciate things you have. The only other technology that compares to the droid is the iphone, and that says a lot in itself. That something was even invented that competes with iphone amazes me, and then to know that I own it! Just makes me feel super lucky to have that privilege...

Last edited:
OP
rlandon

rlandon

Reaction score

Mine did that OOTB.... What have you done with yours?

No rooting, just normal program installs which for the most part have worked ok. Two weeks ago the sync between the droid and the MyGig car radio quit and had to completely re-pair the two (never had that happen with any my other phones), the mp3 player and streaming audio has not worked properly since day one (took it to local VZ store and they had no answer or clue), now the browsers wont load a page. My call quality is very poor on this phone (it is really a phone, right?) and lastly I have to perform a reset at least daily to get apps to work properly (mail pulls, fb, weather, streaming audio and video).

It's frustrating to know that I'm paying over $100 a month for this (family plan). I'm ready to fire up my Samsung WinMo phone that ran perfectly and streamed live TV/radio with no problems.

OP
rlandon

rlandon

Reaction score
install app list and then post a full list of your installed apps here most driod problems like your having come from bad apps from the market (remember you could put almost anything there which has its advantages and disadvantages). maybe one of the members here has had the same experience and you can narrow it down to one of them and get fixed up. i have less problems with my droid than i did with my samsung omnia for sure

Here you go:

Mobile Banking
(biz.firethorn.ftap)
The Weather Channel
(com.weather.Weather)
Beautiful Widgets
(com.levelup.beautifulwidgets)
PoliceLight
(bat.PoliceLight)
iheartradio
(com.clearchannel.iheartradio.controller)
SMS Popup
(net.everythingandroid.smspopup)
3D Level
(org.drfischer.android.level)
DockRunner
(com.activefrequency.android.dockrunner)
OI File Manager
(org.openintents.filemanager)
MyBookmarks
(com.rerware.android.MyBookmarks)
TV.com
(com.rhythmnewmedia.tvdotcom)
Mobile Banking
(com.infonow.bofa)
Tip Calc
(com.istockmanager)
Bluetooth File Transfer
(it.medieval.blueftp)
Wifi Analyzer
(com.farproc.wifi.analyzer)
Keyboard Calibration
(com.htc.clicker)
DIRECTV
(com.directv.dvrscheduler)
WeatherBug
(com.aws.android)
Dolphin Browser
(com.mgeek.android.DolphinBrowser.Browser)
SilentMode OnOff
(com.curvefish.widgets.silentmodeonoff)
My Verizon
(com.vzw.hss.myverizon)
Port Scanner
(com.twistandroid.portscan)
Zip Code Search
(com.kcInc.postalcodesearch)
Mini Info
(com.dynotes.miniinfo)
Goggles
(com.google.android.apps.unveil)
GPS Status
(com.eclipsim.gpsstatus2)
Documents To Go
(com.dataviz.docstogo)
No Signal Alert
(com.smartandroidapps.missedcall)
Win7
(com.deejay.Win7)
Pkt Auctions eBay
(com.bonfiremedia.android_ebay)
Touch Input
(com.htc.android.htcime)
Radar Now
(com.usnaviguide.radar_now)
SportsTap
(mobi.sportstap.android.sportstap)
Lookout Mobile Security
(com.lookout)
RemoteDroid
(com.joshsera)
WiFi OnOff
(com.curvefish.widgets.wifionoff)
Countdown Alarm
(net.everythingandroid.timer)
NFL
(com.mgeek.android.Browser.mobile.web.NFL.v2)
AP Mobile
(mnn.Android)
FTPServer
(lutey.FTPServer)
Yellowbook
(com.yellowbook.android2)
Percent Calculator
(com.cityjams.calculators)
WikiMobile
(com.bonfiremedia.android_wikimobile)
Speed Test
(org.zwanoo.android.speedtest)
Key Ring
(com.froogloid.kring.google.zxing.client.android)
Where's My Droid
(com.alienmanfc6.wheresmyandroid)
Dial Zero
(com.nextmobileweb.dialzero)
Amazon
(com.amazon.mShop.android)
Google Sky Map
(com.google.android.stardroid)
Solitaire
(com.kmagic.solitaire)
Keeper
(com.callpod.android_apps.keeper)
LukLuk
(com.avaw.luklukpro)
GDE
(com.rogro.gde)
AudioManager
(com.smartandroidapps.audiowidget)
Documents To Go Full Version Key
(com.dataviz.docstogoapp)
Barcode Scanner
(com.google.zxing.client.android)
WaveSecure Beta
(com.wsandroid)
App List
(com.elitenerds.applist)
DroidLive
(com.android.DroidLivePlayer)
Tricorder
(org.hermit.tricorder)
Lock 2.0
(com.google.code.p.slideunlocker2d)
ASTRO
(com.metago.astro)
MotoTorch LED
(com.alford.MotoTorchLED)
Metal Detector
(com.imkurt.metaldetector)
ShopSavvy
(com.biggu.shopsavvy)

natediddy1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
well my Droid runs perfect and I have never had those problems before and ive had my phone since november. it actually runs better now than it ever has and Ive never been happier with any other phone

OP
rlandon

rlandon

Reaction score
I don't have those problems. The only times Ive ever did a battery pull was because it was running kinda slow and thought I might need to give it a fresh start so to speak. And that's only been maybe 3 or 4 times tops...I think people come from BB or windows mobile being used to having to do these things and then are over doing it with their android phones with battery pulls and things like virus/security apps, whenever android doesn't need it

I use a BB for work (gov't) and never have to reset it even during a policy change forced down the network. I understand that BB and iPhone have been on the market a while and have the major bugs worked out. But don't charge me more for the latest and greatest if it doesn't work, especially a newer OS.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
Here you go:

Mobile Banking
(biz.firethorn.ftap)
The Weather Channel
(com.weather.Weather)
Beautiful Widgets
(com.levelup.beautifulwidgets)
PoliceLight
(bat.PoliceLight)
iheartradio
(com.clearchannel.iheartradio.controller)
SMS Popup
(net.everythingandroid.smspopup)
3D Level
(org.drfischer.android.level)
DockRunner
(com.activefrequency.android.dockrunner)
OI File Manager
(org.openintents.filemanager)
MyBookmarks
(com.rerware.android.MyBookmarks)
TV.com
(com.rhythmnewmedia.tvdotcom)
Mobile Banking
(com.infonow.bofa)
Tip Calc
(com.istockmanager)
Bluetooth File Transfer
(it.medieval.blueftp)
Wifi Analyzer
(com.farproc.wifi.analyzer)
Keyboard Calibration
(com.htc.clicker)
DIRECTV
(com.directv.dvrscheduler)
WeatherBug
(com.aws.android)
Dolphin Browser
(com.mgeek.android.DolphinBrowser.Browser)
SilentMode OnOff
(com.curvefish.widgets.silentmodeonoff)
My Verizon
(com.vzw.hss.myverizon)
Port Scanner
(com.twistandroid.portscan)
Zip Code Search
(com.kcInc.postalcodesearch)
Mini Info
(com.dynotes.miniinfo)
Goggles
(com.google.android.apps.unveil)
GPS Status
(com.eclipsim.gpsstatus2)
Documents To Go
(com.dataviz.docstogo)
No Signal Alert
(com.smartandroidapps.missedcall)
Win7
(com.deejay.Win7)
Pkt Auctions eBay
(com.bonfiremedia.android_ebay)
Touch Input
(com.htc.android.htcime)
Radar Now
(com.usnaviguide.radar_now)
SportsTap
(mobi.sportstap.android.sportstap)
Lookout Mobile Security
(com.lookout)
RemoteDroid
(com.joshsera)
WiFi OnOff
(com.curvefish.widgets.wifionoff)
Countdown Alarm
(net.everythingandroid.timer)
NFL
(com.mgeek.android.Browser.mobile.web.NFL.v2)
AP Mobile
(mnn.Android)
FTPServer
(lutey.FTPServer)
Yellowbook
(com.yellowbook.android2)
Percent Calculator
(com.cityjams.calculators)
WikiMobile
(com.bonfiremedia.android_wikimobile)
Speed Test
(org.zwanoo.android.speedtest)
Key Ring
(com.froogloid.kring.google.zxing.client.android)
Where's My Droid
(com.alienmanfc6.wheresmyandroid)
Dial Zero
(com.nextmobileweb.dialzero)
Amazon
(com.amazon.mShop.android)
Google Sky Map
(com.google.android.stardroid)
Solitaire
(com.kmagic.solitaire)
Keeper
(com.callpod.android_apps.keeper)
LukLuk
(com.avaw.luklukpro)
GDE
(com.rogro.gde)
AudioManager
(com.smartandroidapps.audiowidget)
Documents To Go Full Version Key
(com.dataviz.docstogoapp)
Barcode Scanner
(com.google.zxing.client.android)
WaveSecure Beta
(com.wsandroid)
App List
(com.elitenerds.applist)
DroidLive
(com.android.DroidLivePlayer)
Tricorder
(org.hermit.tricorder)
Lock 2.0
(com.google.code.p.slideunlocker2d)
ASTRO
(com.metago.astro)
MotoTorch LED
(com.alford.MotoTorchLED)
Metal Detector
(com.imkurt.metaldetector)
ShopSavvy
(com.biggu.shopsavvy)
Quite a list : )

In bold is what I would get rid of first.

natediddy1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Did you just say that BB have their bugs worked out? Ive actually never heard anyone say that...because they are FAR from that, my BB froze and crashed multiple times a day, my father has one and his is ten times worse now! After playing with Droids and iPhones I now realize that BBs and especially Windows Mobile, are basically WAY WAY behind and have a lot of catching up to do to compete. Anyone will tell you that