Moto Droid 3: Unlock Global Mode VZW

dmaroni

Reaction score
I have been using this Motorola D3 for about 3 months now. Despite the initial TERRIBLE TERRIBLE battery life, after having rooted the phone and slid down the cpu as much as possible, it manages to make it through some days of light use without me running to the charger.

My question is if there is a way to unlock the sim card block that verizon has put on it without paying them $30. Not to mention, I am not a contracted member, so cannot even get a vzw rep. to speak with me on the phone. My Motorola Droid 2 I believe has the ability to unblock the sim block by changing the voltage kernel. I have yet to overclock either phone, but do have the voltage kernels for both, so I am wondering if replacing this kernel would also unblock the sim card so that I can use the global function of the phone. I am traveling to Europe in a week and need to figure this out as fast as possible. Somebody with more knowledge then I do please help!!!

HardWare: Moto Droid 3
System Version: 5.7.894XT862.verizon.en.us
Software: MavRom v1.1 on version 2.3.4
Baseband Version N_03.18.29P
ERI version 5
PRL version 52526
CR 5.0.2.6

Out of the box the phone had a bad overheating problem localized in the battery compartment. Stock motoblur and all ROMS available had freezing issues and would regularly double type fragments of things I'd already typed. Since sliding down the CPU, freezing issues have gone to a minimum. No overhearting, 10x the battery life. I am mainly concerned with unblocking the pin, but also am having connectivity problems via the usb cord (as of just now). It's just reading the usb port on 2 laptops as a charger. I've also tried 2 data type B data cords. It looks as if I will have to tackle this problem before I can change the voltage kernel now anyways. Any helpful thoughts, comments, input appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

~Rooted noob aka Dave

mattv111

Reaction score
You prob already did this but did you make sure it wasn't on charge only mode?

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

OP
D

dmaroni

Reaction score
I am not sure what mode it is in because it won't bring down the drop down menu on the android device. The battery indicator simply changes to charging like it would if you plugged it into a wall outlet. I did try it with and without usb debugging enabled, both on my laptop running win7x64 as well as my old laptop running XPx86. Got the same results in both cases

OP
D

dmaroni

Reaction score
I have also tried wiping the rom and restoring it to how it was 2 weeks ago. Same results. This is very odd. If anyone else has dealt with this before feel free to leave a link to the general discussion. Also, to triple verify it's the D3 malfunctioning, my D2 connects fine on both laptops with both cables

Shimmy549

Reaction score
If you're not a contracted Verizon customer, how exactly are you using your phone now? I may be missing something, but is the phone active (can make calls, get 3g)? If you have a global phone with Verizon and it's active for at least 90 days, they will give you the unlock code so that you can use the phone abroad.

How did you get your phone?

For what it's worth, I never had any of the problems you're having with my Droid 3. Could you have returned it?

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

OP
D

dmaroni

Reaction score
If you're not a contracted Verizon customer, how exactly are you using your phone now? I may be missing something, but is the phone active (can make calls, get 3g)? If you have a global phone with Verizon and it's active for at least 90 days, they will give you the unlock code so that you can use the phone abroad.

How did you get your phone?

For what it's worth, I never had any of the problems you're having with my Droid 3. Could you have returned it?

I bought the phone off of Ebay from a verizon customer a month after they had gotten it from their upgrade. I am currently attached to a company called page plus cellular. They rent out space on verizon towards and their service runs off of verizon phones. Anywhere in the US I am fine with the CDMA limitation, because there are plenty of choices, PagePlus I believe to be the best available at the moment.

However, I am traveling to Europe for an extended period of time and need the gsm to be functional. The usb has always worked fine before. I am curious if the Maverick Beta Rom may have already unlocked the SIM card block by removing the bloatware that controls it, but this is untested and I am trying to make sure it works before I spend the money on the SIM card and Service. I am being as descriptive as possible in every aspect, please advise.

OP
D

dmaroni

Reaction score
PS - please do not suggest I contact the ebay seller to call verizon. I have already tried that. Verizon told them that "they don't unlock SIM cards". I am suspect if they actually called the global line or the regular and how hard they pushed for the code (I offered to pay the $30), but all the same the seller has gotten their positive rating and will no longer be of assistance to me unfortunately

kc6wke

Reaction score
I am not sure what mode it is in because it won't bring down the drop down menu on the android device. The battery indicator simply changes to charging like it would if you plugged it into a wall outlet. I did try it with and without usb debugging enabled, both on my laptop running win7x64 as well as my old laptop running XPx86. Got the same results in both cases

I had the same issue with the usb cable. I tried 3 different ones and would not connect to the pc. You have to get the factory motorola cable. That is what Verizon tech support stated. I got a motorola cable from ebay and problem solved.

Shimmy549

Reaction score
I've not seen anything about Maverick ROM being able to unlock the D3 SIM card. As far as I know, the only way to do that is to call Verizon and ask for the unlock code, which requires having a global phone that's been active through Verizon for 90 days or more.

I'll keep looking into it, but I really don't think that ROM has the ability to unblock GSM for this phone. Awesome if it does, but I think more people would've noticed by now.

OP
D

dmaroni

Reaction score
I've not seen anything about Maverick ROM being able to unlock the D3 SIM card. As far as I know, the only way to do that is to call Verizon and ask for the unlock code, which requires having a global phone that's been active through Verizon for 90 days or more.

I'll keep looking into it, but I really don't think that ROM has the ability to unblock GSM for this phone. Awesome if it does, but I think more people would've noticed by now.

Okay, fair enough. But in the case of the D2 the replacement kernel (generally for overclocking) also served to UnBlock the sim card. I have the replacement kernel and overclock files on hand and have not had a chance to install due to a new usb connectivity issue. May have to unroot and send it in on warranty. It's not the ROM, have also tried it under the Stock ROM (de-odexed version). In any case, it treats my usb port as a charger plug................ very annoying.

OP
D

dmaroni

Reaction score
I had the same issue with the usb cable. I tried 3 different ones and would not connect to the pc. You have to get the factory motorola cable. That is what Verizon tech support stated. I got a motorola cable from ebay and problem solved.

Thank you for the input, I will find my factory cable. I have one with the tag on it, 4 foot cord.. I hate short cords. Need to get a usb extension for that one of that turns out to be the issue

micki9559

Reaction score
Okay, fair enough. But in the case of the D2 the replacement kernel (generally for overclocking) also served to UnBlock the sim card. I have the replacement kernel and overclock files on hand and have not had a chance to install due to a new usb connectivity issue. May have to unroot and send it in on warranty. It's not the ROM, have also tried it under the Stock ROM (de-odexed version). In any case, it treats my usb port as a charger plug................ very annoying.

Hey!! I'm New To The Forum, But i Have a D2G, And Want To Know Whether the voltage kernel Really Did Unlock the GSM Sim Slot Of the D2 That You Have?? If Yes, Can You Please Pm me A Link to The Files Needed To Flash The Custom ROM With The Voltage Kernel??? Will Be Really Very Grateful To You If You Can Help!!! :)

kyle2351

Reaction score
droid 3 is a global phone and rins on CDMA and GSM so y would you be haveing a problems whit it working off the VZW network like out of the us and as far as the useing the global my phone is in global all the time as for PagePlus it is just a resller of VZW just like the Service wallmart does so just get a pepay SIM CARD and you need to call VZW to add the use of going out of the us to your line or get a SIM for a GSM Service

I bought the phone off of Ebay from a verizon customer a month after they had gotten it from their upgrade. I am currently attached to a company called page plus cellular. They rent out space on verizon towards and their service runs off of verizon phones. Anywhere in the US I am fine with the CDMA limitation, because there are plenty of choices, PagePlus I believe to be the best available at the moment.

However, I am traveling to Europe for an extended period of time and need the gsm to be functional. The usb has always worked fine before. I am curious if the Maverick Beta Rom may have already unlocked the SIM card block by removing the bloatware that controls it, but this is untested and I am trying to make sure it works before I spend the money on the SIM card and Service. I am being as descriptive as possible in every aspect, please advise.

Last edited:

Reaction score
I got my locked D3 off local Craigslist from a former Verizon customer. I paid six bucks at unlock4moto, and I think there are similar code sellers all over eBay. I got the code in 30 minutes and it worked to remove the SIM card lock. If you do this much, you should be able to use GMS carrier SIM cards outside the USA. If you want to use it on AT&T or T-Mobile in the USA, go look in xda's D3 forums for a tutorial. You can flash the radio.img from the XT883 and use a modified build.prop file to remove Verizon's USA carrier lock. I'm on T-Mobile right now with mine. The only real downside is on T-Mobile I only get 2G until they refarm my area.