Moto' Droid .. 2010 Audi A5 .. FAIL?!

g02sle3p

Reaction score
Hey, guys -

I've been on the audiusa website and saw that the Moto' Droid is NOT compatible with the bluetooth from a 2010 Audi A5.

When I called the service department of a local dealer, they told me it is and it isn't, in a way. It tends to disconnect itself randomly to the point where they're just saying it's not compatible. I was told it was by far the worst phone they had to deal with when the bluetooth in the car was concerned.

My question is, does anyone here own a Moto Droid AND a new A5/S5? Do you guys have this problem, as well? Also, has anyone talked to Verizon about this and gotten any answers as far as an update to the software or some sort of future plans for one?

Thanks!! :blackdroid:

GuiltyBreak

Reaction score
If it was the phone then..the phone would have trouble connecting to anything bluetooth..Bluetooth is a standard wireless technology..I would make sure your pair the phone with the car. and keep Bluetooth always on the phone so the car wont auto disconnect from it. I am not sure if the car is constantly trying to discover for the device though when it comes in range but..as long as Bluetooth is on and set on the Droid..It should always connect and pair..Like any other phone..Of course you will need to watch the battery life more. I would personally test yourself more and work with it more..I would never go off opinions of Local Dealer Service Departments Just my .02

Last edited:

The Rick

Reaction score
If it was the phone then..the phone would have trouble connecting to anything bluetooth.

I wouldn't agree with this at all personally. I work for a cell phone store and we have tons of issues with car audio systems working properly and staying paired over time. BMW even has a list of "compatible" phones and its a royal PITA sometimes. I'm at the point that I don't promise any kind of working connection on a new phone because its such a headache with car systems

That being said, I never have an issue with a modern headset and phone

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
The compatibility lists aren't always complete either. No manufacturer is going to test every phone out there and indefinitely maintain the compatibility list as new devices are released.

So the service department claims that Audi tested the Droid and that it specifically isn't compatible?

Droidnotberry

Reaction score
Ok, its not an A5, but I've got a 2007 Audi Q7 and the Bluetooth works perfectly. So Audi apparently doesn't have problems with the Droid on other models.

angrymissy

Reaction score
My husband has a 2010 Q5 and we both have Droids. We've been using the Droid via bluetooth with the cars audio system since December with no issues.

JimmyD

Reaction score
Sorry, I don't have much to add to this thread except to express that I wish I had the problem of my Droid not connecting to an Audi A5 via Bluetooth.

....because that would mean I owned an Audi A5! :p Oh well... I guess my Jetta will have to do for now.

Sweettooth

Reaction score
Yeah no kidding, give me an A5 or even the TTS and the Droid can NOT connect via Bluetooth all day and see if that wipes the smile off my face. :)

lemodular

Reaction score
I have had problems connecting to my 07 G35. I was hoping to they resolved the issue in the 2.1 update, but not so. It has to do with one of the BT's protocol (out of many). There is a work around for my vehicle but it's not a solution.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

OP
G

g02sle3p

Reaction score
Well, I have yet to see if this actually a problem due to the fact that the car hasn't arrived at the dealership, yet ... however, I'd assume if it works with the 2010 Audi Q7, it would work for a 2010 Audi A5. There's no vehicle specific bluetooth compatibility page, just an overall one. audiusa.com/bluetooth is what I'm talking about.

Did some quick research .. Audi USA just put the Nexus1 with 2.1 android software from HTC up on that list of compatible phones, so why wouldn't the Moto' Droid work?

Very confusing .. only one way to find out, LOL. And I don't mean to wait and get the car and see if it works, I mean Saturday I'm going to the dealership to test this thing out on an A5 with bluetooth on the lot!

Keep you guys posted this weekend.

OP
G

g02sle3p

Reaction score
Yeah no kidding, give me an A5 or even the TTS and the Droid can NOT connect via Bluetooth all day and see if that wipes the smile off my face. :)

Haha .. you'd be surprised. I mean, I'm sure I won't really care if it didn't work in the beginning, but part of having a bad ass car like that with all those gizmos and gadgets it to be able to use something like bluetooth!

My friend has a 2010 Audi S5 (droooool) and was showing me how the bluetooth works with his iPhone. AMAZING. It's not just all about receiving calls, this man was dialing a number with the little mouse knob, pulling up a saved list of contacts, etc.

Amazing.

jbg25

Reaction score
I have a 2008 A4 with the bluetooth and there is no problem I have full functionality (can access contacts, make and end calls, etc with the little jog-wheel on the stearing wheel).

But I just got my wife an 2010 Acura TL and the car will not even recognize my phone as an available bluetooth device. I had her Dare and my Droid both in my lap in pairing mode...tried simultaneously... then tried separately...no good. In fact, my phone kinda made her cars' computer freak out..."she just kept yelling something like....you cannot access bluetooth menu from the phone" Would not stop til I turned my phone off.

That being said...I don't understand why the droid would work on a 2010 Q7, 2008 A4 and a 2007 Q7 and not a 2010 A5. Hopefully, they just don't know what they are talking about and, they have not changed the Bluetooth technology to a new version that is not compatible only in your model

OP
G

g02sle3p

Reaction score
g02: what firmware is your droid at?

As far as I know I'm using the latest firmware. I got my phone around January / February .. can't remember, honestly. I don't recall any new update .. however, about a month ago, my phone alerted me to a new update and I picked "yes" and it did some sort of update on it's own. I don't know what for, but I noticed the photo gallery was different .. other than that, don't know.

Update on the car: I should have it be this week ... shipping was halted due to the volcano in Iceland. Hope to have an answer to this thread by the end of the week, and by answer I mean I hope I can post and tell you guys it works!!

Wongway

Reaction score
Seems odd, because I have a 2005 BMW X3 which used to be prone to having Bluetooth issues. Apparently, there was a recall/replacement(?) module that fixed all of the X3 Bluetooth connection issues.

What you may need to do is find out if other Audi A5 owners have issues with their Bluetooth not connecting to other phones and see if you can't discover a commonality. Quite possible that the A5 Bluetooth unit is defective and they don't have the appropriate phones to narrow down and see where the problem is.