moto droid 2 cannot use clockwork

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by onicas, Jul 6, 2011.

1. onicas

onicas New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    hello all. i am very new to rooting (about 2 days), so i need some help making a stock recovery image. i refuse to do anything else besides the root without making a stock backup. my droid 2 will not boot into clockwork. here is what i have tried:

- re-flashing from rom manager over and over
    - flashing other version of CWM (all other options say error downloading except 2.5.0.8)
    - rooted using doroot and adb methods, each time uninstalling rom manager completely.
    - fix permissions from rom manager (did not work under the doroot method - said not enough rights, but did work after using adb)

i see people mentioning an "erase recovery" option from rom manager, but i do not see that option anywhere.

what i did notice is if i tell rom manager to reboot into recovery, but then hold the X on boot anyway, it brings up a little yellow bar at the bottom for a second but then boots like normal. holding X on boot any other time just brings me to stock droid e3 menu.

any help is appreciated, but please be as detailed as possible or link to tutorials as i am very new to this. thanks a lot!

2. islandak

islandak New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    You need Droid 2 Bootstrap

You can download Droid 2 bootstrap from the market. Run it, hit the"recovery" button, then hit the reboot button. Or use the 2nd init method if it's solid on the D2 now. Sorry I'm on my phone, but I'll check in later. Check out the Droid 2 forum. Hit the "Forum" link on the top left of the page and scroll down till you find it.

3. onicas

onicas New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the quick reply. got it to work and made a full backup. tested the restore too, works great.

my issue now is i cannot boot into clockwork from powered down. i have to reboot into recovery from rom manager. the most common solution i saw was to rename some files called /system/etc/install-recovery.sh and /system/recovery-from-(something).p using terminal emulator, but i cant find neither file.

the other solution i see is to flash a diff version of clockwork from rom manager but all of them give me an error except 2.5.0.8.

any suggestions?

4. pressguy27

pressguy27 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Rom manager doesn't work well with the d2. You will have to use the d2 bootstrapper to boot into clockwork recovery. Its work a lot better than rom manager

Sent from my Droid 2 using CM7

#4 pressguy27, Jul 8, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2011
  5. onicas

onicas New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    tried that too. from bootstrapper and rom manager, reboot into recovery works fine. but i cannot get into clockwork from power off. holding X, search button brings me to the stock 3e recovery menu, not CWM.

my concern is if something happens and i cant boot at all, how will i be able to restore my backup from CWM if i cant boot into it from power off?

6. pressguy27

pressguy27 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Some say that if you pull the battery a couple times at the m logo it will boot into clockwor recovery. Plus if you can't boot up the phone you can always boot into the bootloader and sbf

Sent from my Droid 2 using CM7

7. onicas

onicas New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    tried that as well. CWM is just not sticking. it does work from bootstrap and rom manager, but id really rather not have to sbf, reroot, and then restore every time something goes wrong.

thanks for the responses, but i still need a little help.

8. Byakushiki

Byakushiki Member

Ratings:
    +3
    It's rather blind luck for this, really. It could be 1 battery pull or 40. Most reliable way I find is to just plug it in on charger while powered down, wait for the battery charging screen to pop, and then either unplug and boot, or just try to boot from there. It's worked in the past. Though I hear using stock recovery's install update.zip then hitting reboot hijacks it into cwm...not sure how that works with bootstrap.

Sent from somewhere in a strangereal world.

9. islandak

islandak New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi. Sorry, just got back on. I have a D2G and things don't move as quickly. So I'm a little out of the loop.

Like Pressguy27 said, CWM doesn't work out-of-the-box on the D2/D2G/DX or anything else with the locked bootloader (as far as I can remember). However, the 2nd init exploit is how CM7 is now loaded on the DX/D2/D2G.

Here's a link the Droid 2 CM7 Thread.

A lot of the initial problems seem to be fixed, but it's still "BETA." Also, read the instructions. CyanogenMod does NOT come with the Google Apps (GMail, Market, etc) installed. You need to also flash the Gapps file. It's there in the thread.

However, I read that the reboot to recovery option works from the power button long-press menu (without using Bootstrap). I don't know if the hard key recovery works. I may try it later. I was going to wait for the official D2G 2.3 to drop before trying CM7. But it does sound like it's getting close.

Hope that helps.

UPDATE: I flashed CM7 on my D2G last night (7/10/11). Hard Key Recovery Boot (holding the "X" key and power) does not work. It boots into the stock recovery. However, unless your phone is totally screwed, you can always boot up normally, use the Bootstrap Recovery, do a Factory Reset, and restore your last good ROM image.

#9 islandak, Jul 9, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2011
  10. onicas

onicas New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    from some testing, it looks like if the phone is plugged into the usb charger, if you boot into the stock recovery, then select reboot, it boots right into CWM. its a little sketchy the way it works, but its been consistent.

i am now running android 2.3.3, but now my swype doesnt work. ill "swype" a word and the whole keyboard will flash and no words come up.

11. islandak

islandak New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    You probably have to reinstall Swype. I've had that happen when Swype wasn't "properly licensed" in the installer app. You may not be able to use the official D2 swype. You can download the Beta from the website. Swype | Text Input for Screens. From there you download the Swype Installer. Run that and download the Full Beta. It's working for me on CM7 right now.

However, the stock Swype was working for me when I was on Get-R-Done's Stock Rooted ROM. You may want to wipe, reflash and NOT restore the Data from Swype. That "might" work.

Search tags for this page

no response when on clockworld recopvery motorola d2g