Moto Droid 1 and WiFi on SS 5.4

Discussion in 'ChevyNo1' started by ChezJfrey, Aug 13, 2011.

1. ChezJfrey

ChezJfrey New Member

First, let me say that I was originally on CM 5.0.8 for a long while, recently updated to CM 7.0.3 (with a .9 Chevy kernel), then just now changed to Simply Stunning with the Chevy 2.6.32 LV 1 Ghz and holy moly! My phone's performance and speed shot WAY up when I combined SS with a Chevy kernel (compared to CM 5 w/ a Bekit? 1 Ghz kernel and CM with a Chevy .9 Ghz). Nearly everything works beautifully, so well done Chevy, sir!

But, when I changed to CM 7 and now even with SS, I have an issue with WiFi that I hope to resolve. My original post about it: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/cyanogenmod/165496-d1-cm-7-0-3-wifi-problem.html

To recap, when I toggle WiFi on and it connects to my home LAN, the CPU pins at max, things start becoming unresponsive with many 'Wait or FC' messages, then fairly quickly, the screen won't respond at all, goes black and I have to reboot. Unfortunately, a reboot will just have WiFi try to re-establish, so I've been using the power button to enable airplane mode, then after booting, I toggle airplane off and when WiFi tries to kick back in, I quickly toggle it off and everything works fine again.

Any ideas where to start looking for the issue or how to resolve? I'll probably enable logging, reboot and try WiFi again to see if anything shows in a logcat; at the moment I don't have any further info.
  2. rck76

rck76 DF Super Moderator Premium Member

Do a fresh reinstall, disable compcache, install a medium voltage kernel, before signing into your google account uncheck the backup/restore options in privacy. You probably had settings that were restored from your froyo rom.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums
  3. ChezJfrey

ChezJfrey New Member

Thanks, I'll give it a shot.
  4. rck76

Ok, good luck

5. ChezJfrey

ChezJfrey New Member

Ha!

Since I'm inherently lazy, I first tried disabling compcache, then just tried WiFi for kicks...works wonderfully!

So, I think I'll skip the reinstall if you don't mind :)

Thanks a lot!
  6. rck76

Ok, that's good, if any more problems, try my other suggestions

7. ChezJfrey

ChezJfrey New Member

Well, you are obviously psychic, because about 25-30 minutes later, the same problem crept in...

So, I took your advice, fresh install with wipe, medium voltage kernel, disable compcache again of course, disable google restore. Eventually, I had my screen locked up, but only after trying to look at the wireless settings. After some experimentation, I can operate on WiFi if I operate under this condition:

Once WiFi is running, I can never go to the Wireless settings menu. If WiFi is off, I can go there to turn it on and even configure a new connection, but once I leave, I can't go back, even to turn it off...I must use a toggle on a home screen to turn it off. Otherwise, I start getting non-response when I try to launch the settings menu, but then subsequently everywhere else as well. If I never go to wireless settings menu, every once in awhile I get a little lag here and there (I'm sure because the CPU stays pretty much pegged at max), but my phone operates decently and I don't get wait or FC messages.

I wonder what my issue is?
  8. rck76

Yeah, I'm not sure, I've been running 5.4 since it was released and I don't have that problem. What recovery are you using for your rom install and did you wipe everything? In rzrecovery, there is a wipe all option, I use that then reboot into recovery before installing a new rom.

9. ChezJfrey

ChezJfrey New Member

I use Clockwork 2.5 and I wiped everything, then rebooted back to recovery before selecting the install just to be sure.

I suppose I should add that after the fresh install, I would install some stuff. Do a few things to check for any ill effects and while I can't be certain, I got the feeling that things start to go south when I set up my email account that hooks to Exchange with the automatic push option. That is how my employer wishes the configuration so that instantaneous notification of what might be important, time-sensitive email is assured.

It seems that the WiFi is very needy with the CPU and so is the auto-push email. While it wasn't a problem before, I'm sensing it somehow might be with what I have now.
  10. rck76

Yeah, I've never used exchange. Have you tried running this rom without it to see if it runs better?

Edit, reread post, I guess you have to have it then?
  11. ChezJfrey

ChezJfrey New Member

I notice a huge difference in speed and smoothness with this ROM/Kernel combo than what I had before...the only wrench is when WiFi is enabled. Without it, things operate very well.

And honestly, I was only doing it to perhaps save on data and maybe boost transfer speed...company pays for the plan, so I'm not really too concerned if I just never turn it on. If I change my mind, I can always go back to the slower, but more stable ROM I had before; I used it for about a year so I know it's solid. But I do like the speed I have now, and some of the new options are nice.

I just thought I'd throw this problem out here in hopes someone might know the root cause and a fix. I'll keep my eyes open...something might pop up.

And thanks again, your compcache setting and advice to wipe and use an MV kernel got me to something usable if I ever need WiFi....as long as I stay away from the wireless menu :)
  12. rck76

Wifi works great for me, that's all I use when I'm home. Two things you can also try. Flash project elite, it is not cyanogen based or sbf back to stock and reroot. If you're ok without wifi then that's cool, but 3g isn't very good where I am. It should be though, but its not.

13. javaman70

javaman70 New Member

Did you install the patch that was created on the SD card and also run fix permissions from chevy tools? Just a few more options you can try.

Sent from my Droid
  14. ChezJfrey

ChezJfrey New Member

Actually, when I first installed, I noticed the update patch and the script to set permissions, so I've done that for each install prior to trying anything, but thanks for the head's up.

A couple more tidbits so far...

If WiFi is enabled when I reboot, it's been hit or miss whether it connects and things operate normally after boot, or the phone is completely unresponsive from the get go. I downloaded WiFi Manager to try configuring the connection info from there instead and noticed that just like trying to navigate to the settings/wireless & networks/Wi-Fi settings where I get unresponsive wait or FC issues, trying to launch that app when there is trouble after WiFi enabled/connected causes the same thing -- unresponsive app and FC prompt. So whatever method is used when navigating to the settings, or during that app launch that scans and gathers available and connected networks gets completely tied up.

Now, here's something interesting...as another experiment, I changed my router to broadcast the SSID, whereas before broadcast was off. Since then, I've had absolutely no trouble at all with WiFi enabling/disabling, navigating to wireless settings and absolutely none of the latency/lag issues with the FC messages. I have tried everything, rebooted while enabled, checking settings repeatedly while connected, downloading, launching apps...it works very well now that SSID is broadcast from my router.

So, it appears to be something with scanning/checking connection with hidden networks?
  15. ChezJfrey

ChezJfrey New Member

Just another update...been pretty much on WiFi all day, turning it on/off and it really was as simple as turning on broadcasting of my home SSID...no issues at all whatsoever since doing that.

Would be nice if we could somehow identify what the issue with non-broadcast/hidden networks is since that appears to be the element that causes me problems.
  16. ChezJfrey

ChezJfrey New Member

And slightly OT...I switched back to LV kernel and the battery life today has been outta this world! Truly outstanding with the SS ROM and LV 1 Ghz kernel. I'm at 8 hours right now and battery is at 70% :) Normally, I'd be at 20%.

Nice going Chevy!
  17. bowhuntr09

bowhuntr09 New Member

I have had the problems you describe since I installed 5.4. I finally just gave up and disabled wifi and never turned it back on. Good to know you found a fix, but I don't want to have to broadcast my SSID. I will test some and see if I have the same results you had, but hopefully someone can find a fix other than broadcasting the SSID.
  18. ChezJfrey

ChezJfrey New Member

Well, it's nice to know I wasn't just crazy/delusional and someone else had the same trouble.

I agree that I would rather not broadcast as it adds that extra little 'security by obscurity' element but I suppose it's good that if I ever want/need Wi-Fi, I can use it as long as the network SSID is broadcast.

Of course optimally, I would like to isolate the cause and find a fix because these types of things just plague me...I'm sure it's a form of personality disorder ;)