Moto 360 (2nd Gen) Shows for the Cameras 'in the wild'

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
moto-360-2-image-1.jpg

Take a peek at these pics. What you see is the second generation of Motorola's Moto 360 hamming it up for the cameras "in the wild." These shots were supposedly taken in Chicago, which is the a corporate HQ for Motorola's US operations.

moto-360-2-image-2.jpg

The images show off a couple of different color combinations for the new version of the smartwatch. Overall it looks like it's shaping up to be as gorgeous as the first generation, with just enough newness to remain fresh. What do you folks think?

Source: Reddit & +Gerrit Gödecke

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
It looks like the bands may be user replaceable now. That would be nice. Looks awesome.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Really is a shame they didn't come up with another creative way to have the light sensor without having the flat tire. Maybe it's coming and this is just a prototype illustration of the case style, showing the standard strap mountings as @sajokaz indicated. Let's hope so. It wouldn't be the first time that we saw what was rumored to be the newest version of a phone in the wild, and it had (or was missing), features, only to find out the actual production run was completely different.

I would have thought that with all the chatter regarding it, and how it was the ONLY reason some went with another watch instead of the 360, that they'd put everything into eliminating it. I suppose we shall see. If not, then other than the standard strap mountings, and perhaps a faster and more powerful hardware, what else does it bring to the table?

The movement of the button is uninspiring. Some may have complained that the button was hitting the top of their hand at the wrist when bending their wrist but I don't think it's that big and in the way where it is at the 45 degree mark. So now it's like at a c. 35+ degree position and IMHO it looks even less like a classic watch as a result. That doesn't mean I like it less, just that it will now be another "thing" to talk about and possibly criticize.

Last edited:

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
When I saw the bezel (see also: black bar, flat tire, lol) on the 2nd gen pictures the only thing I could think of was that this was apart of Motorola's design language all along. When I accepted that, the bezel held no power of me. I accepted it's existence on the watch, and appreciated what they did.

Having a round face watch, when you think about, would be the normal progression of smart watches, after the square face phase passed. Every OEM now wants a round watch to call their own, and guess what, they will all look the same because of it (The LG G Watch R, the Urbane, Sammy Gear S2, etc). However, when you see a Moto 360 watch you know it's a Moto 360 watch. There is no ambiguity.

This is what they wanted to do to separate themselves from the multitude of smartwatches that would come after them trying to imitate.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
This is what they wanted to do to separate themselves from the multitude of smartwatches that would come after them trying to imitate.

So, like the way to differentiate a luxury car from the others would be to screw-up the paint job?

I feel like the flat tire, while others make round watches without it, kind of makes Moto engineers on this look like amateurs.

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
I don't even see the flat tire anymore. Its so minimal to me its not an issue. And I'll probaly stick with my current gen Moto 360.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
So, like the way to differentiate a luxury car from the others would be to screw-up the paint job?

I feel like the flat tire, while others make round watches without it, kind of makes Moto engineers on this look like amateurs.

I agree. How can LG make one without it?

I don't have to have round. I was anticipating a nice Zenwatch 2 but the bezel on that thing is just HUGE.

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
The other manufacturers hide the flat tire with thick bezels. Compare the 360s bezels to the others and you'll see they're at least twice as thick.

lg-watch-urbane-vs-moto-360-100584670-primary.idge.jpg

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I agree. How can LG make one without it?

I don't have to have round. I was anticipating a nice Zenwatch 2 but the bezel on that thing is just HUGE.

If neither has GPS, I think I'm going with the Sony Smartwatch 3....it's not as pretty as the others, but it will suit me better for fitness. And Sony is the OEM most focused - arguably the only one - on the fitness/health aspect (not to say their execution couldn't be a lot better).

Although, it would be awesome if someone hacks the Gear to run Androidwear!

The irritating thing is the Snapdragon 410 (or whatever CPU these watches all have) is GPS capable...so I don't understand why most Android watches don't take advantage of it.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
The other manufacturers hide the flat tire with thick bezels. Compare the 360s bezels to the others and you'll see they're at least twice as thick.

lg-watch-urbane-vs-moto-360-100584670-primary.idge.jpg

Not to be adversarial, but the flat tire is there because there is an ambient light sensor visible in there. If the flat tire (and light sensor), were hidden behind the bezel, then it wouldn't function and so there would be no need for it. No, the other watch simply doesn't have the ambient light sensor and so there's no need for the display to be cut short, which creates the flat tire.

See below and note the small red dot in the center of the flat tire.

f3b7c5bc08d3b85494d37eeb5ec9a3f1.jpg
a4a31f8ded4ab6572b028ee4f1d6a1dd.jpg
f5d51885207e62b9d328f25d9ab7eec1.jpg

Last edited:

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Not to be adversarial, but the flat tire is there because there is an ambient light sensor visible in there. If the flat tire (and light sensor), were hidden behind the bezel, then it wouldn't function and so there would be no need for it. No, the other watch simply doesn't have the ambient light sensor and so there's no need for the display to be cut short, which creates the flat tire.

I could be mistaken, but I thought at least one other OEM was able to make a round display with an ambient light sensor and no flat tire. The bezel may still be a factor, but real watches also don't have super thin bezels because it's part of the overall aesthetic.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I could be mistaken, but I thought at least one other OEM was able to make a round display with an ambient light sensor and no flat tire. The bezel may still be a factor, but real watches also don't have super thin bezels because it's part of the overall aesthetic.
You may be right, and all the more reason why I thought Motorola could do it as well. However it wouldn't be hidden behind the bezel, except that perhaps it's so tiny along an edge of the bezel that it essentially is undetectable. I am not sure which watch it is though. I'll look into it.

Edit: Oops, @PereDroid beat me to it. ;)

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
The LG R watch has an ambient sensor. The G does not.

Tap'n Turbo
Actually what I'm reading is that it doesn't have an ambient light sensor...

"The screen on the G Watch R is a 1.3" Full Circle P-OLED (Plastic-OLED) item. Yes full circle - there's no cutout at the bottom as seen on the Moto 360, but this has both positives and negatives. It looks better, no question, but it means once again there is no ambient light sensor. It actually doesn't matter as much as you might think, but more on that later."

Modaco.com review is just one of the many that say only the Moto 360 has the Ambient Light Sensor and that specifically LG G R doesn't.

Last edited: