Moto 360 (2nd Gen) Shows for the Cameras 'in the wild'

Discussion in 'Android News' started by dgstorm, Aug 21, 2015.

1. dgstorm

dgstorm Editor in Chief
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,254
    [​IMG]

Take a peek at these pics. What you see is the second generation of Motorola's Moto 360 hamming it up for the cameras "in the wild." These shots were supposedly taken in Chicago, which is the a corporate HQ for Motorola's US operations.

[​IMG]

The images show off a couple of different color combinations for the new version of the smartwatch. Overall it looks like it's shaping up to be as gorgeous as the first generation, with just enough newness to remain fresh. What do you folks think?

Source: Reddit & +Gerrit Gödecke

2. Sajo

Sajo Diamond Member

Ratings:
    +7,368
    Current Phone Model:
    Moto Droid Z Force
    It looks like the bands may be user replaceable now. That would be nice. Looks awesome.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  3. FoxKat

FoxKat Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +5,290
    Current Phone Model:
    Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
    Really is a shame they didn't come up with another creative way to have the light sensor without having the flat tire. Maybe it's coming and this is just a prototype illustration of the case style, showing the standard strap mountings as @sajokaz indicated. Let's hope so. It wouldn't be the first time that we saw what was rumored to be the newest version of a phone in the wild, and it had (or was missing), features, only to find out the actual production run was completely different.

I would have thought that with all the chatter regarding it, and how it was the ONLY reason some went with another watch instead of the 360, that they'd put everything into eliminating it. I suppose we shall see. If not, then other than the standard strap mountings, and perhaps a faster and more powerful hardware, what else does it bring to the table?

The movement of the button is uninspiring. Some may have complained that the button was hitting the top of their hand at the wrist when bending their wrist but I don't think it's that big and in the way where it is at the 45 degree mark. So now it's like at a c. 35+ degree position and IMHO it looks even less like a classic watch as a result. That doesn't mean I like it less, just that it will now be another "thing" to talk about and possibly criticize.

#3 FoxKat, Aug 21, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2015
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. PereDroid

PereDroid DF News Team Reporter

Ratings:
    +3,832
    Current Phone Model:
    Moto Turbo 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. akhenax

akhenax Silver Member

Ratings:
    +500
    When I saw the bezel (see also: black bar, flat tire, lol) on the 2nd gen pictures the only thing I could think of was that this was apart of Motorola's design language all along. When I accepted that, the bezel held no power of me. I accepted it's existence on the watch, and appreciated what they did.

Having a round face watch, when you think about, would be the normal progression of smart watches, after the square face phase passed. Every OEM now wants a round watch to call their own, and guess what, they will all look the same because of it (The LG G Watch R, the Urbane, Sammy Gear S2, etc). However, when you see a Moto 360 watch you know it's a Moto 360 watch. There is no ambiguity.

This is what they wanted to do to separate themselves from the multitude of smartwatches that would come after them trying to imitate.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. kodiak799

kodiak799 Gold Member

Ratings:
    +934
    So, like the way to differentiate a luxury car from the others would be to screw-up the paint job?

I feel like the flat tire, while others make round watches without it, kind of makes Moto engineers on this look like amateurs.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. johnomaz

johnomaz Silver Member

Ratings:
    +765
    Current Phone Model:
    Google Pixel XL
    I don't even see the flat tire anymore. Its so minimal to me its not an issue. And I'll probaly stick with my current gen Moto 360.

8. PereDroid

PereDroid DF News Team Reporter

Ratings:
    +3,832
    Current Phone Model:
    Moto Turbo 2
    I agree. How can LG make one without it?

I don't have to have round. I was anticipating a nice Zenwatch 2 but the bezel on that thing is just HUGE.

9. Dusty

Dusty Gold Member

Ratings:
    +585
    Current Phone Model:
    Nexus 6
    The other manufacturers hide the flat tire with thick bezels. Compare the 360s bezels to the others and you'll see they're at least twice as thick.

[​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. kodiak799

kodiak799 Gold Member

Ratings:
    +934
    If neither has GPS, I think I'm going with the Sony Smartwatch 3....it's not as pretty as the others, but it will suit me better for fitness. And Sony is the OEM most focused - arguably the only one - on the fitness/health aspect (not to say their execution couldn't be a lot better).

Although, it would be awesome if someone hacks the Gear to run Androidwear!

The irritating thing is the Snapdragon 410 (or whatever CPU these watches all have) is GPS capable...so I don't understand why most Android watches don't take advantage of it.

11. FoxKat

FoxKat Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +5,290
    Current Phone Model:
    Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
    Not to be adversarial, but the flat tire is there because there is an ambient light sensor visible in there. If the flat tire (and light sensor), were hidden behind the bezel, then it wouldn't function and so there would be no need for it. No, the other watch simply doesn't have the ambient light sensor and so there's no need for the display to be cut short, which creates the flat tire.

See below and note the small red dot in the center of the flat tire.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

#11 FoxKat, Aug 21, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2015
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. kodiak799

kodiak799 Gold Member

Ratings:
    +934
    I could be mistaken, but I thought at least one other OEM was able to make a round display with an ambient light sensor and no flat tire. The bezel may still be a factor, but real watches also don't have super thin bezels because it's part of the overall aesthetic.

Search tags for this page

moto360