Mother Of All Android Malware Has Arrived: Roots Phone, Steals Data, Opens Backdoor.

nmos

Reaction score
What's really scary is that this was discovered by accident. I have to wonder how many other apps are out there with completely different exploits in them. Although it isn't THE answer, one thing that I think would help would be to have the market app automatically hide all apps newer than say a week or so unless the user explicitly changes the option. Let more advanced users (who probably at least have backups of their data) be the guinea pigs rather than grandma.

dfuser312553

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm just terrified of an overreaction to this on Google's part. Like the 15 minute refund. :(

UNC

Reaction score
just a side note.. the iOS has had several security exploits over time as well, there hackers the planted codes that stole anything from contacts info to email accounts information.. the iPhone is not immune.

I don't think any of iOS problems were linked with iTunes, they were all from non-supported apps/malware. Huge difference. Mostly its power users who sideload, casual users get apps from iTunes.

SkullOne

Reaction score
just a side note.. the iOS has had several security exploits over time as well, there hackers the planted codes that stole anything from contacts info to email accounts information.. the iPhone is not immune.

I don't think any of iOS problems were linked with iTunes, they were all from non-supported apps/malware. Huge difference. Mostly its power users who sideload, casual users get apps from iTunes.

Actually there were quite a few apps pulled from iTunes due to the apps pulling all user contact information and sending it all to a central server. There was even an instance where people were getting phone calls from the company of the app they purchased.

So while DroidDream is worse, due to the fact that it roots the phone, iTunes has also been compromised in other ways.

At this point any mobile device is a target.