Mother Of All Android Malware Has Arrived: Roots Phone, Steals Data, Opens Backdoor.

ChuckvB

Reaction score
I had one called "Chess" on my droid, I never ran it but did install it. When I tried to uninstall it I got a message that the uninstall failed but the icon for it was gone.

Do I need a tool to be sure it has been removed?

richphitzwell

Reaction score
I had one called "Chess" on my droid, I never ran it but did install it. When I tried to uninstall it I got a message that the uninstall failed but the icon for it was gone.

I believe google has recommended going to your provider. I could be wrong but thats the little I have heard

georgek

Reaction score

I believe google has recommended going to your provider. I could be wrong but thats the little I have heard

I don't know what going to your carrier is going to do. If you ask 2 people the same question you get 2 totally different answers.

Btw, I scanned with Lookout and it came up clean. So hopefully that means I'm clean. Lookout slows your phone down though.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

nmos

Reaction score
Lookout slows your phone down though.

I don’t see why it would, it's not an on-access scanner like a typical Windows av. It does slow down app installs since it scans each download but imho that's not a big deal.

richphitzwell

Reaction score
I'm just relaying what I read from one of the news articles. Granted it came freon a decent source...they tend to be biased toward anything apple

Josefius

Reaction score
Wow,
This sucks! I might have to consider dare I say it, an iPhone:icon_evil:

Yea right... Like your really mean that.

Due for a new phone, was thinking 4G but with tier data limits, may stick with 3g. I've had enough crap to deal with regarding Windows and seems like Android is going this same route.

I will be seriously considering the iPhone

Steve Job's cronies probably wrote that ****.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Here's a small positive that could potentially come out of this: Since these apps - downloaded perfectly legit from the Market - root the phone to cause damage, it stands to reason you have to root the phone to remove/protect against such threats.

So the question is what does this mean with regard to VZW and OEM positions on rooting, at least as far as warranty and terms of service?

SkullOne

Reaction score
Here's a small positive that could potentially come out of this: Since these apps - downloaded perfectly legit from the Market - root the phone to cause damage, it stands to reason you have to root the phone to remove/protect against such threats.

So the question is what does this mean with regard to VZW and OEM positions on rooting, at least as far as warranty and terms of service?

Good question. If I was the company (let's say VZN) I would want the phone untouched after the infection that way I could tell if I was being lied to about the infection. Then I would reload the phone to a stock factory build for free but you would lose all of your data. If you want data saved you would have to pay a nominal fee. I would want that fee because that person is an idiot for installing Hilton Sex Sound and Screaming Sexy Japanese Girls in the first place. ;)

This does prove one thing though. Google needs to take more control over their operating system. Anybody else notice how Google and no manufacturer has said anything about patching this security hole? Instead Rodderik of XDA cooks up the solution for rooted users. It's a ridiculously simple fix too.

Seriously, how hard would it be for somebody like HTC, Samsung, or Motorola to test a patch for this fix and have it pushed to the phones? Hell it has already been created and its on the Android Market for anybody rooted to use.

nmos

Reaction score
SkupoOne:

Why would someone be an idiot for downloading Advanced Calculator? Also, from what I've read this exploit was patched in 2.2.something. The problem is that not all Android phones are up to date.

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
I installed Lookout almost as soon as I got my phone, but I uninstalled it back last August for a couple of reasons. First was that there never seemed to be updates and I question any anti-virus that seems to not need to keep track of infections. The second was that I was getting weekly emails and while it said it did something, there was no way I could tell exactly what it did, if any. Also, I would first get the notice that an app was installed and then I got the notice that it was being scanned. Why not the scan before the install?

Maybe I'll look into it again, I dunno.

nmos

Reaction score
Grr... Apparently it isn't possible to edit my posts that were made using the DroidForums App. Sorry about that.

AlexSB

Reaction score
Ok so I'm not sure if I installed one of those apps or not (app uninstaller) because the devs name does somewhat ring a bell I've seen it under apps before. But I was reading that gingerbread was patched up, does this go the same for gingerbread based ROMs? Liberty would count correct? Or should I still completley wipe everything?

Liberated Droid II

jaycemiskel

Reaction score
Grr... Apparently it isn't possible to edit my posts that were made using the DroidForums App. Sorry about that.

Try tapping on your post and then hitting edit. You can't edit posts in the news section though but that should work for every other section.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Chizzele

Team Sourcery
Developer
Reaction score
Website
teamsourcery.com
just a side note.. the iOS has had several security exploits over time as well, there hackers the planted codes that stole anything from contacts info to email accounts information.. the iPhone is not immune.