MOSH The Sequel Begins: Motorola's Release of "Dev Edition" RAZR Sparks Protest

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I guess my point is, that at some point they were going to release an unlocked phone, whether it's called the RAZR or the Droid Flingflong polywong shouldn't matter. You have two groups of people both upset, one of them because they finally release a phone that is unlocked but they already bought a locked phone and group two being the how dare they rerelease my phone with better specs. Both of them battling for intergalactic.....no wait that's not right both of them upset because their current phone is not this new awesome one.

To be or not to be........................wait what was the question? This signature has been Tapatalk approved.

While I agree with you that there will certainly be many folks who sign the petition just because they are mad at Moto for releasing too many devices or whatever, the point of the MOSH Petition version 2.0 is the same as it was last year... to complain and light a fire under Moto's butt about unlocked bootloaders! The new "developer's edition" international version doesn't have better specs, as far as I know. It simply has an unlocked bootloader, and there are many customers who are upset (whether you/I/we agree with them or not) that Motorola hasn't kept their promise about unlocked bootloaders.

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, I would love to see a day where all bootloaders are unlocked but until that happens we need to have an understanding that if we buy a phone with a locked bootloader it could be a week before one is released unlocked. As far as Moto not keeping their promise, yes shame on them but did we expect otherwise?

Also I am not against the petition in the slightest.

To be or not to be........................wait what was the question? This signature has been Tapatalk approved.

Talon66721

Reaction score
As far as Moto not keeping their promise, yes shame on them but did we expect otherwise?

You said it right there, that's what I'm talking about. We accept them ignoring us, who as customers, keep them in business. They do what they want without any regard for what we want. And why shouldn't they? It's not like they have consequences from us for it. I'm just using what you said to reinforce my point, not wanting to pick on you in particular for sure.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
You said it right there, that's what I'm talking about. We accept them ignoring us, who as customers, keep them in business. They do what they want without any regard for what we want. And why shouldn't they? It's not like they have consequences from us for it. I'm just using what you said to reinforce my point, not wanting to pick on you in particular for sure.

It's fine, you are right until we start effecting their financial situation they don't have to listen to us.

Wnclivin

Reaction score
I have the Droid 1, Droid X, and Droid Bionic. The Bionic will be the last Motorola product I'll buy if they don't make good on their promise to offer FULLY unlockable bootloaders (unlike HTC).

Absolutely loving my Galaxy Nexus. Took me all of a few minutes to unlock the bootloader. With the process being so easy I suppose Motorola's numbers tell them that everybody and their grandma will unlock bootloaders and brick phones left and right. Not true. I have many clients that don't care anything about unlocking the BL on their GNex. Maybe some just want Root. Maybe some want to Theme.

It's up to us end users to decide what to do with our phone, not Motorola. Our developer/hacker community is still small compared to how many total users there are, but we are gaining strength and ground. Thank goodness for Samsung and HTC to make the right moves FIRST and set the stage for Motorola to follow...eventually. Until they do, I'll keep purchasing Sammy.

Now I'm off to install Ubuntu on my GNex and put USB host to work ;)

Talon66721

Reaction score
Thanks for being understanding about it. I always worry about how I come off on these forums. Text does not convey as much as talking to someone, you know?

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
I don't get why moto is pointing the finger at vzw. Obviously, they aren't as "strict" as moto is making them out to be. HTC offers an unlocked bootloader option for vzw phones, and obviously vzw doesn't reject it. There are also other manufacturers that have easily unlockable bootloaders, and vzw doesn't care.

So either vzw is treating moto differently, or moto needs a scapegoat.

Talon66721

Reaction score
I don't get why moto is pointing the finger at vzw. Obviously, they aren't as "strict" as moto is making them out to be. HTC offers an unlocked bootloader option for vzw phones, and obviously vzw doesn't reject it. There are also other manufacturers that have easily unlockable bootloaders, and vzw doesn't care.

So either vzw is treating moto differently, or moto needs a scapegoat.

Fantastic point I've made numerous times. I have never understood why it's ok for one brand to be unlocked, but not another, even though they're both on the same network. That seems a little fishy to be the network and not the manufacturer to me. How about one set of rules for everyone?

Dorian

Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, I would love to see a day where all bootloaders are unlocked but until that happens we need to have an understanding that if we buy a phone with a locked bootloader it could be a week before one is released unlocked. As far as Moto not keeping their promise, yes shame on them but did we expect otherwise?

Also I am not against the petition in the slightest.

BUT... They made the promise of unlocking the bootloader. Them releasing an unlocked phone just shortly after releasing several locked Verizon variants with the EXACT same hardware (except the radios) is insulting. Very insulting.

They made a promise and they need to either uphold it or flat out tell us no, so people will stop buying based on their hollow promises. There's no two ways to look at this issue. They did the same thing with the Motorola Cliq/XT/Devour/Backflip. They eventually released 2.1 for the Backflip, but not until people started getting REALLY pissed at AT&T and Motorola for promising it and then not releasing it by it's deadline... several times. The others never got any updates at all. Now, IMO, the hardware really didn't deserve 2.1, but they made a promise to provide it and it's beyond low to renig on a promise.

Fantastic point I've made numerous times. I have never understood why it's ok for one brand to be unlocked, but not another, even though they're both on the same network. That seems a little fishy to be the network and not the manufacturer to me. How about one set of rules for everyone?

What I think of Motorola:

"Good thing there's starch in that shirt or else there'd be nothing holding you upright."

DaWolf85

Reaction score
Why I will not buy a Moto phone: Because I can't rely on them to make any upgrades they say they will make, to fix any bugs they say they will fix, etc.
It's not just about the bootloader, it's about trust in Moto overall... which at least for me, is sorely lacking right now.

metalb00

Reaction score
im just hoping the razr maxx battery life becomes a trend with other companies. i didnt realize i would be w a locked bootloader, this was my first motorola droid and prob my last

Anarchinator

Reaction score
Code:
 Maybe they're trying to test us.  Maybe they want to find out who the next super genius among us all is, what with all the tech available now.   Who's going to be the one to finally break their code?  Maybe it's already happened, possibly numerous times, and now the more experienced coders are out there getting the kicks of a lifetime off of all the pandemonium and uproar.  Maybe Motorola just enjoys messing with peoples' money.  Though, if the latter's the case, this war just got ratcheted up to the next gear.

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
I think that as far as VZW is concerned, they won't put pressure on Moto. VZW does not sell phones. It actually costs them money(initially) to sell phones. Phones are a means to an end; Contracts.

Moto is selling the Razr like hotcakes. I don't think they care if 0.001% of the customer based is "outraged" and signs a petition.

loki993

Reaction score
I mean voicing your opinion is great and all but how many of these online petitions has there been now an we still have locked down phones. They dont appear to be too concerned about it or even listening.