MOSH The Sequel Begins: Motorola's Release of "Dev Edition" RAZR Sparks Protest

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Simpsons_Angry_Mob_Fun_Run.jpg

Remember not that long ago when some angry Motorola users started Operation: MOSH (Make Ourselves Heard), over the locked bootloaders on Motorola's phones. It was over a year ago, and Motorola promised in January of 2011 that they would eventually unlock bootloaders. Then, in April, after another outcry, Moto promised that they would unlock the bootloaders on all their devices by the end of 2011. That has yet to happen, and it is almost February, 2012. I think you can see where this is going...

Recently, Motorola announced that they would be releasing a "Developer Edition" of the RAZR for the International version, but the Verizon/US version is still locked. Of course, this calls into contrast their statements about unlocking all their devices in the first place. They can blame Verizon all they want, but now the second generation of MOSH has started a new online petition, because there are a ton of RAZR owners that feel cheated. They are trying to get as many online signatures as possible and the following is their cause:

To let Moto know that this ‘Developer Edition’ had better be available either as a trade for our devices, paying the difference, or not at all, since we all bought our devices in hopes that they would keep their word in the first place.”

If this is an important issue to you, then it is time to let your voice be heard. We have included a link below to the online petition. Also, if you want to get more involved we have provided links to XDA threads so you can email Moto executives, file FCC complaints and take other civil actions.

MOSH Online Petition
XDA MOSH Thread for More Info

Source: TalkAndroid

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez
ugh oh...

Love the image you used David! lol

Talon66721

Reaction score
This is why I won't buy Moto again until they do what they said. But, I'm still going to support and sign.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
Boohoo they released another phone. It shouldn't matter it has the same name, it's still a new phone. If you bought your phone thinking it was going to be the latest and greatest for more than a month, that's completely your fault.

To be or not to be........................wait what was the question? This signature has been Tapatalk approved.

apotheosis415

Reaction score
oh my

First off, let people blow off steam. im pissed at the volume of phones they are coming out with. They did just recently say they will slow down, yet announce like 4 phones. Then promise Ice cream updates quickly. Where are those? people have a right to be angry at this kind of thing. At least apple waits a year or so before having a new device. Even with minor tweaks, people dont feel slided as much as moto people do. Droid 1, 2, R2DR, 3, 4. Rzr, Rzr MAX, Rzr Developers edition. It's a bit much.

Moto needs to realize that in an open world like android, people have a choice of HTC, Samsung and more for the same OS features. They dont need Moto. The only think that binds people to them is the ridiculous contracts phone companies have us sign in to. Why not open upgrades to 1 year? If you want to move all these phones, then let people pick the phone they want. Like a test drive. 14 days or 10 just ain't enough time to decide if this is the phone for you.

cturcotte224

Reaction score
Boohoo they released another phone. It shouldn't matter it has the same name, it's still a new phone. If you bought your phone thinking it was going to be the latest and greatest for more than a month, that's completely your fault.

I don't think that the fact that Moto is releasing a new phone is the reason this is upsetting people. It's that fact that Moto keeps promising to unlike their boot loaders, and then not. Then Moto blames it on Verizon, even though Samsung and HTC sell phones that allow the boot loaders to be unlocked on, and Verizon is OK with it.

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

To be or not to be........................wait what was the question? This signature has been Tapatalk approved.

I think you missed the point OTR. Are you sure you read the story, brutha? It's not about the fact that they released a new model. People are upset because Motorola promised them unlocked bootloaders, but then released an unlocked RAZR that is only for international markets. People are upset because Moto hasn't kept their promise about unlocked bootloaders in the US, but then releases an unlocked RAZR everywhere else. You usually temper your responses with more forethought that that dude. You must be having an off day! That's okay... we still appreciate ya! ;)

apotheosis415

Reaction score
I think that moto made a announcement that they will slow phone production cause people were pissed about how many phones come out.

"A lot of products that are roughly the same doesn’t drive the market to a new place.”

"I made this decision independent of what the others will do," Jha said. "We’re doing what we think is the right thing[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]."[/FONT]

Motorola to focus on marketing, not phone releases, in 2012

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think that moto made a announcement that they will slow phone production cause people were pissed about how many phones come out.

"A lot of products that are roughly the same doesn’t drive the market to a new place.”

"I made this decision independent of what the others will do," Jha said. "We’re doing what we think is the right thing[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]."[/FONT]

Motorola to focus on marketing, not phone releases, in 2012

LOL. Hey guys... the story isn't about the glut of new phones... the article and topic are about unlocked bootloaders. :)

apotheosis415

Reaction score
Couldn't one argue that the point of people upset about this issue, would coincide with anger about too many phones being released? And empty promises on ice cream rollouts?

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
I think you missed the point OTR. Are you sure you read the story, brutha? It's not about the fact that they released a new model. People are upset because Motorola promised them unlocked bootloaders, but then released an unlocked RAZR that is only for international markets. People are upset because Moto hasn't kept their promise about unlocked bootloaders in the US, but then releases an unlocked RAZR everywhere else. You usually temper your responses with more forethought that that dude. You must be having an off day! That's okay... we still appreciate ya! ;)

I guess my point is, that at some point they were going to release an unlocked phone, whether it's called the RAZR or the Droid Flingflong polywong shouldn't matter. You have two groups of people both upset, one of them because they finally release a phone that is unlocked but they already bought a locked phone and group two being the how dare they rerelease my phone with better specs. Both of them battling for intergalactic.....no wait that's not right both of them upset because their current phone is not this new awesome one.

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Couldn't one argue that the point of people upset about this issue, would coincide with anger about too many phones being released? And empty promises on ice cream rollouts?

I suppose you could argue that, but the article is about the MOSH Petition, and the MOSH petition is specifically about Motorola customers upset because Moto hasn't kept their promises about unlocked bootloaders, whether they have released too many phones or not. Of course there are folks upset at Moto for a number of issues, but this thread doesn't need to cover all those issues. I just want to make sure that the thread doesn't get co-opted because the topic is really unlocked bootloaders.

Talon66721

Reaction score
A real problem also, is that American consumers have become too complacent. So, the corporations are going to continue to run us over. Because the vast majority of people accept what they're given and deal with it. Until we can actually band together and stand up to them, it will continue. Not saying it's right, just how it is. Kinda like telling a little kid to not do something, but not having any consequences if they do it anyway. They'll keep doing it. Same thing. And with all the social networking that we have available to us, we still can't work together in large enough numbers to be noticed. Quit buying Moto until they do what they say they will, and see how quick they follow through. Yet how many people have gone out and bought another Moto phone who said they wouldn't if it was locked? Back to the little kid analogy. If I'm wrong on this, feel free to enlighten me. If you have an idea that would achieve the goal quicker and easier, I'm all for it. Thanks for letting me vent.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums