More Rumors Indicate Delay of HTC Thunderbolt due to Verizon Maximizing iPhone Sales

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
htc-thunderbolt-delayed-rumor.jpg

There is a continued rumor in the industry from insider sources that the reason why Verizon has delayed the release of the HTC Thunderbolt is simply because they want to maximize the marketing time for the iPhone to increase its sales. Many have speculated it was because they were giving people enough time to return the iPhone in case they didn't like it, but apparently this is really just wishful thinking. Basically, Verizon simply wants to maximize the amount of money they can make on the iPhone AND the HTC Thunderbolt, effectively keeping them from "competing" with each other.

Its hard to blame them for this strategy, as it really cuts both ways, i.e. this will be better for the Thunderbolt in the long run too. It's easy to get angry about, but I guess that's just because we are in an "instant gratification" society. What do you guys think? Do you understand their justification or do you think its just plain cheesy of them to make us wait? Or perhaps you have a different take on it... Share it with us in the forums.

Source: Phonearena

jcbsides

Reaction score
It's annoying but I understand their thinking. It just really sucks for me because I've never even had a smartphone. I was really excited about it coming and now all the "delays" are just making me accept my crappy Voyager for longer than I would like to. But it will come eventually and it will be worth the wait.

dieselpowered

Reaction score
After giving the iPhone a chance for the last few days, it is going back regardless of when the TB is released. The iPhone is a solid, really well built phone, however, there are just so many things that the iOS lacks that I am able to accomplish with the Android platform. Ill stick with my Droid X untill the TB is released, hope it is soon though, lol.

Marathonman

Reaction score
Makes sense I suppose......I just don't see people settling for an iPhone if they have been waiting for the TB. People who buy the iPhone IMO are the ones who either want the iPhone, in dire need of a replacement phone, or just don't know what's coming out. I'm not an overly patient person.....but I can wait for what I want and not settle for something other than what I want. Don't see where it will improve sales of the iPhone that greatly.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
They better not wait too long last year they could have sold more incredibles had they not had delays. They need to hit that period soon or risk people, who could not wait, holding off to see if another device gets released to rival it. Especially being the thunderbolt is basically the evo. Now something that HTC has going for them is that the videos I saw of the dual core devices I have not been impressed with the load speeds of applications. If its because google is not optimized then they need to get it optimized so people can see videos of the device opening applications with more zip than our single core devices. Now dual core is doing one thing good and that is playing games. But a lot of us do not just use our phones to just play games. I am impressed with the LG 3D phone and that is on my list right now, where it will rank will depend on what motorola and htc does.

jaycemiskel

Reaction score
The thing is, most of us know that it's not optimized for dual core so whenever they release an update that is optimized for dual core there will be a big performance increase for those that have dual core phones while the people with single core phones will not get those same gains. It's like investing now so that later on you can get a bigger return. Just something to think about....

fishfood

Reaction score
On the topic of delays, BB told me, without hesitation or any hemming and hawing that the BB release would be the 24, with the Verizon release two weeks later due to the "exclusive sales agreement" between BB and Verizon, presumably to give BB the opportunity to get presales... now we're looking at a March 10 release according to BB... GRRRR

htowngtr

Reaction score
I still have a hard time believing that the "launch day" lines were non-existent. I do, however, believe they'd pull something off like that. Oh well, not too much longer, I hope.

htowngtr

Reaction score
The thing is, most of us know that it's not optimized for dual core so whenever they release an update that is optimized for dual core there will be a big performance increase for those that have dual core phones while the people with single core phones will not get those same gains. It's like investing now so that later on you can get a bigger return. Just something to think about....

By the time that happens (late 2011, early 2012) you will have another phone option especially if you took a 1yr contract, not a 2yr.

LexusBrian400

Reaction score
On the topic of delays, BB told me, without hesitation or any hemming and hawing that the BB release would be the 24, with the Verizon release two weeks later due to the "exclusive sales agreement" between BB and Verizon, presumably to give BB the opportunity to get presales... now we're looking at a March 10 release according to BB... GRRRR

BB will NOT be getting the Tbolt any earlier than verizon. The only agreement they have is, You cannot purchase the Tbolt ANYWHERE ELSE other than Verizon + BestBuy. Thats it. Thats the "Exclusive Sales Agreement" THEY ARE NOT GETTING IT EARLIER!!!

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I still have a hard time believing that the "launch day" lines were non-existent. I do, however, believe they'd pull something off like that. Oh well, not too much longer, I hope.

Well, there were pictures all over the places. Doesn't mean sales that day weren't a steady stream, though.

I always thought they'd space their launches about a month a part. That makes sense. What doesn't make sense is why they ever planned to launch so closely in the first place, unless the IPhone was early/late to launch creating the overlap.

Thevaristy

Reaction score
They better not wait too long last year they could have sold more incredibles had they not had delays. They need to hit that period soon or risk people, who could not wait, holding off to see if another device gets released to rival it. Especially being the thunderbolt is basically the evo. Now something that HTC has going for them is that the videos I saw of the dual core devices I have not been impressed with the load speeds of applications. If its because google is not optimized then they need to get it optimized so people can see videos of the device opening applications with more zip than our single core devices. Now dual core is doing one thing good and that is playing games. But a lot of us do not just use our phones to just play games. I am impressed with the LG 3D phone and that is on my list right now, where it will rank will depend on what motorola and htc does.

Agreed. HTC is the big loser here, alot of og droid folks with 1 year upgrades are going to start looking in other directions. That xperia play looks better and better by the day.

Larry_ThaGr81

Reaction score
From a business stand point, I understand why they are doing this, it makes since. However, I'm not them I'm their customer and I'm ticked off about the delay but it will be here soon enough. I'm so anxious that I bought the Thunder live wallpaper but of course it will be just my luck that the Thunderbolt comes with it's own Thunder live wallpaper. :)

forum8417

Reaction score
i get it. i just hate how verizon seems to do anything for apple so as to not make them angry. it seems apple is getting all the special attention from verizon. and verizon is doing whatever apple wants like no verizon branding and no preloaded apps than cannot be removed. im so sick of *phone 4 news. its an old phone now people get over it