More overclock speeds made available

Discussion in 'Android Custom & Themes' started by JhankG, Jan 28, 2010.

1. JhankG

JhankG Silver Member

Ratings:
    +0
    This is the 900mhz nandroid backup:
    http://www.daveproxy.co.uk/browse.php/Oi8vd3d3/LmFsbGRy/b2lkLm9y/Zy9kb3du/bG9hZC9m/aWxlLnBo/cD9pZD0x/MzMw/b5/

Here is 1ghz nandroid backup:
    http://www.daveproxy.co.uk/browse.php/Oi8vd3d3/LmFsbGRy/b2lkLm9y/Zy9kb3du/bG9hZC9m/aWxlLnBo/cD9pZD0x/MzMz/b5/

There's not a 950 nandroid backup right now and I can't make one because I'm at work. I can't tell a difference between 900 and 950, but it could be a good compromise if 1ghz doesn't work for you.

#109 JhankG, Jan 29, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2010
  2. gentlefury

gentlefury Member

Ratings:
    +0
    now running 800mhz with jit enabled and I'm rating at 7.75 mflops/sec...that's the same speed as the base 900 rating.

3. JhankG

JhankG Silver Member

Ratings:
    +0
    That's awesome. Any lag issues?

4. peterpressure

peterpressure Member

Ratings:
    +0
    At 129 F BatteryLife started reporting "Over Heat", dropping it down to 125 for a minute got it below 120F and the warning went away.
    Just an FYI.

5. dtu

dtu New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Are these oc kernels ok to use with the 2.1 rom used in the sticky "2.1 the easy way"?

6. LrdElderon

LrdElderon Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I had a 1-1.5 mflop increase with jit on the adamz 2.5 600mhz rom. Only issue I noticed and it might not be just because of jit was a very noticable slowdown in browser loading/rendering which a few others indicate as well.

Don't forget that while jit might be good at raising your scores in linpack, it's not close to being complete or necessarily stable yes so your scores mights go up but you might throw errors or have other issues.

Can't wait for them to work on getting it up to par and into 2.1 fully optomized officially and then made into custom roms! will be sweetness. look at cyanogen! his jit is a little further along and he had something like 240% improvment in speed in some cases.

7. JhankG

JhankG Silver Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I was reading about Cyanogen's JIT results and they were amazing. So eventually, once JIT is optimized for us, we could see some speed improvement to go along with the cpu speed increase? I really can't imagine the phone being noticeably faster after overclocking to 900mhz-1.1ghz, but I would love to try!

8. LrdElderon

LrdElderon Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I've found that setcpu and just checking cpu freq using a terminal like cat /proc/cpuinfo or anything else on the device is semi glitchy and always shows the max speed you have it set to.

If you plug the phone into computer and use adb you can shell into phone and then check with $cat /proc/cpuinfo and it will show cpu speeds lowering and raising automatically. so that's a relief, I thought i was permanently stuck on 800.

9. LrdElderon

LrdElderon Member

Ratings:
    +0
    It's not really that the phone is running faster, it's that the way our phones run programs with the java davlikvm compiler is not very effecient. JIT (just in time) lets it compile and run on the fly which is much more effecient which as a result increases usage speed. the phone doesn't actually get faster though... just clarifying.

pretty cool stuff. I'm very surpised google hasn't really worked on it much. only thread on google i've read about them working on it was from like early nov last year or soemthing.

10. JhankG

JhankG Silver Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I was reading about the process on wikipedia yesterday and one of the quotes said:

"JIT typically causes a slight delay in initial execution of an application, due to the time taken to load and compile the bytecode. Sometimes this delay is called "startup time delay". In general, the more optimization JIT performs, the better code it will generate, but the initial delay will also increase"

Since it sounds like starting up applications would actually be slower, what is the real advantage of JIT (other than showing off better benchmark scores on Linpack)?

#118 JhankG, Jan 29, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2010
  11. wuyanks

wuyanks DF News Team
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1
    i just started a dedicated thread about it in the hacks subforum. hopefully the more experienced coders can explain it better

12. LrdElderon

LrdElderon Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I don't know much about programming, but I do read quite a bit and almost everything I've read say that JIT would be a substantial speed increase in program running. for instance this i found on the android-developer mailing list:

" I'm writing a processing intensive digital sound processing app
    > (requires numerous (50,000) Fast Fourier Transforms - FFT). This
    > challenge led me to perform basic performance tests of Android running
    > on an HTC Hero.
    >
    > The results show the Dalvik VM to be >20 times slower than a modern
    > JIT-enabled JVM running J2ME and 25-50 times slower than a C program
    > performing the same operations on a similarly powered mobile phone."

It sounds like jit as well as compcache are being entered into the kernel source tree or where they put it and will be part of upcoming builds. it will not slow down the phone.