More overclock speeds made available

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by JhankG, Jan 28, 2010.

1. JhankG

JhankG New Member

Taz added two new releases. The first is 950 mhz and the second 1.1 ghz. I can't imagine going from 900 to 950 is going to make much of a difference, but I like that the 950 kernel now has 125MHz,250MHz,550MHz,800MHz, and 950MHz and the 1.1 ghz has 125MHz,250MHz,550MHz,800MHz, and 1.1GHz. Links are at the bottom of the first post:

AllDroid - View topic - Droid is stable at 800MHz. Nuff said *950MHz, 1.1GHz added*
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2010
  2. ChevyNo1

ChevyNo1 Premium Member Premium Member Developer

Thanks! Uploading new wireless tether patcher with new OC kernels.

For anyone that is wondering ... the instructions given by Berzerker over at alldroid for wifi-tether works ... but will not work to OC beyond 600. That is why this patcher is still necessary. If you are happy with 600, you could just as easily use his instructions as they have modified their boot img to have everything needed.
  3. LrdElderon

LrdElderon New Member

I don't understand this huge obsession with wireless tether. I mean it's a nice feature to have, but I hope people realize that you don't get tethering as part of your data plan at least until verizon adds the tether plan extra fee so you can use it. Otherwise when they catch you, you're going to get an astronomical bill. Like bend over because the bill is gonna rape you hard. I think there have been people that did tethering not thinking anything of it and have gotten a bill for like $20,000. Though I hear usually you're safe under 5gb a month, but usually doesn't equal always.

Ahh well I don't do it so not my problem. I just wish they'd put effort into better things then this tether crap. most of us are not going to use it. How about something more useful like look into optimizing or increasing video functionality. we have a decent gpu and it's not used even close to what it should be for things like our home screen ui interface...etc. that would prob remove all lag from the 2.1 launcher people have....etc.
  4. JhankG

JhankG New Member

I was in Vegas all of last week and the wireless tethering came in handy at the airports (especially with my flights being canceled on the way back home due to weather!). It's not a necessity for me, but it does come in handy sometimes.

Whenever someone tries out the 1.1ghz, please let us know how stability is! I'm at work so I can't try it myself until tonight. I'm stuck at a lowly 900 mhz. :D
  5. LrdElderon

LrdElderon New Member

Sorry I didn't mean to come off sounding like it's a completely useless feature. I just think that rom devs are putting way too much emphasis on trying to do it. I'd rather have other things worked on instead. A great example is the recent work on getting just in time compiler for dalvikvm working on droid. it's not 100% complete and for most it's not stable, but it can offer substantial speed increases. Take a look at what cyanogen or whatever his name is managed to do by adding JIT to his kernel on the nexus! he got like a 240% increase or some ridiculous amount on cpu speed tests. That is something I see as being useful for basically everyone once it's stabilized and a little more feature complete.
  6. ChevyNo1

I have not yet heard of a single person getting dinged for this. Not saying it CAN'T happen ... but if you have specific examples I'd like to hear them. There have been people going well over 5GB per month, not tethering at all. And where in the TOS for the 'unlimited data plan' does it say it's limited? They have a 5GB cap on THEIR tethering setup ... but not on the plan 99% of us are on.

There are only 3-4 people doing any work on wifi-tethering as far as I know. It's not like the entire community has abandoned other projects for wifi tether, the abundance of posts on other subjects is proof of that.

I myself don't have time to get into optimizing the video infrastructure ... I already work 50+ hrs per week at my real job .. this I just do for fun, and my fun time is limited.
  7. ChevyNo1

I'm running wifi tether at 1.1Ghz now ... had one reboot, but other than that, seems stable so far!
  8. joeymoose

joeymoose New Member

Chevy, everyone here thanks and appreciates the work you have done and the updates to it. I like yourself work 60+ hrs a week and love tweaking my droid at work or at home. It wouldn't be possible if there wasn't people like you making the tweaks. So in short... Thank you!
  9. ChevyNo1

Thanks Joey, appreciate it!

I might also add that I would have a learning curve to getting into GPU stuff ... I've been out of Linux for 10 years now and this phone just got me back into it :)
  10. LrdElderon

LrdElderon New Member

I never mentioned anything about the unlimited data we have on out phones having a cap, I think you misread my post, those have been noted many times as not having ANY limit, i was refering to people tethering the phone to a computer as a modem. 3-4 people working on wifi tether? perhaps , but the huge item in pretty much every single rom out now is wi-fi tether and getting that working. almost every rom thread is filled with posts on trying to get it to work. Even the overclocking threads are filled with fixing wi fi tether.

And I wasn't asking anyone in particular to work on video. Hey I'm glad you have a real job and still contribute to the droid community. Don't take it personally. My opinion was kind of a android device wide comment.

I can try and find an example for you of one of the bills, but be my guest and tether to a computer and do some torrenting. see what your bill is when they catch you and you've gone through like 20 gb.... I'm sure you can see this happening. There are a LOT of stupid people out there that will try and do these things.

anyways, yes I do thank you for your contributions. I'm not trying to single you out so don't take offense to my post.
  11. JhankG

JhankG New Member

Is JIT in the works for the Droid? I was reading about what Cyanogen did with it on the Nexus One and you're right, it was crazy!
  12. joeymoose

joeymoose New Member

Your Welcome, you might be able to answer a ? for me. In a previous ROM, not sure which one, when I made a contact shortcut on the home screen it would pop up the option of: Message, Facebook, call, etc. Now it takes me to the contact info page, I want those option on the homescreen when I tap their face. Is there something I'm doing wrong or is it ROM related? Thanks!
  13. Matth3w

Matth3w New Member

Fort Huachuca, AZ (Originally from Pittsburgh, PA)
    I'm waiting a couple of months until a) 2.1 comes out and we get Flash and they are re-hacked and b) to see if, after like 3 months, a ton of threads about destroyed Droids start popping up. lol

My question is, is the speed that much more noticeable? Especially say, 900mhz or so....
  14. ChevyNo1

No worries LrdElderon, no offense taken ... I understand what you are saying.

I may have misread your post ... but if there is no cap, why would Verizon ever try to overcharge, ie. $20,000? I do agree however that if a person got crazy (ie torrents), it would raise some eyebrows. But if 20 people connect to your Droid for access and you hit say 7GB, I highly doubt anyone would care.

I am reading up on the JIT stuff now however ... if I get time tonite I just may try it out!
  15. ChevyNo1

I BELIEVE that is the 2.1 launcher you are speaking of ...
  16. ChevyNo1

Yes, the speed is definitely noticeable, ie. when swiping home screen, etc
  17. joeymoose

joeymoose New Member

No offense but you might be waiting for a while and people are running at way over 900mhz with no melting of Droids.

To answer your ? I'm at 800mhz and it is crazy fast. Enough for me, can't imagine 900+
  18. Matth3w

Matth3w New Member

Fort Huachuca, AZ (Originally from Pittsburgh, PA)
    Ok, to hell with it, I'll try 800mhz.

I didn't mean initially, but over time...what do you have it set at while in sleep mode?
  19. joeymoose

joeymoose New Member

800 max 250 min
  20. joeymoose

joeymoose New Member

Ya, I think your right. I'm using Bugless Beauty which doesn't have the 2.1 launcher. I loved the smoked glass ROM but the 2.1 launcher was one off to the left. Have you made any ROM or other stuff for the Droid that I should know about?