More n00b questions.......:-)

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by hogowner, Mar 29, 2010.

1. hogowner

hogowner New Member

Hi Guys....

Hope I can explain this...

I downloaded Handcent SMS....it is a great app...but when I get a message....and I delete it from the Handcent app...I think that the default msg still post a message unread...and I have to delete it 2 times...is there a way of shutting the one msg system off (hope I am explaining this right LOL)

Also....When I installed my rom...when I first started it up...it asked me what launcher to use....I picked one....I want to try out the others....how do I get the launcher menu to pop up again so I can see the other launchers....

thanks again in advance!
  2. Spyte

Spyte New Member

Holy overuse of the ellipsis Batman!

regarding Handcent, i believe that if you choose to make it your default messaging app your deletionary woes will be no more. Also, if you disable alerts in the stock messaging app it won't bother you again. however, it looks like all texts sent and received will always go to both applications. They do on my droid anyway.
  3. redmccarthy

redmccarthy New Member

The default Messaging app has an option to turn off notifications that you probably overlooked.

Also, try going into Settings -> Applications -> Manage Applications -> [Whatever app is launching that you want to change]

Hit the "Clear Defaults" button... At least I think that's what you were asking
  4. hogowner

hogowner New Member

Thanks...I turned off notifications on the default messenger.....that is what I was looking for...and should have figured that out without asking....

sorry for taking up bandwidth :)

do you know how I can bring up the launcher menu???

Thx
  5. redmccarthy

redmccarthy New Member

I guess I don't know what launcher menu you mean. Do you mean like where you go to create a new text message and it asks if you want to use Messaging or HandCent to complete the operation?
  6. mwhartman

mwhartman Super Moderator/RS Premium Member

7. hogowner

hogowner New Member

Hi MIke...
    I read that earlier.....When I installed the new rom and it first booted up....a menu popped up asking which launcher I wanted to use....I think it had a choice of 4 and then asked me to set it to default.....

I want to get that menu to pop up again so I can try the other launchers and see which one I like...

hope this explains it a bit better
  8. mwhartman

The only thing I can suggest is to uninstall Helix and reinstall. If that doesn't work I don't know what else to suggest.

Mike
  9. Humpa

Humpa New Member

Settings > Manage Applications > find that app that is set as Home and clear the defaults.

This is how you clear any of the various default programs in Android (ie: Home, Gallery, Music, Dialer, etc).
  10. mwhartman

Thanks. I had not realized that option was available.

Mike
  11. cupfulloflol

cupfulloflol New Member

^ do that Settings > app > manage app then press the menu key again and click filter. Filter by running. This will cut down the list, and should only show the launcher you are using. Launcher, Home, Helix, or whatever your launcher is that is running, go into it and click clear defaults.

Alternatively, if you think you are going to be switching a lot and want a quicker easier way to switch between homes, there is a free app in the market called "Home Switcher" that will allow you to do this as well.
  12. Skaggz

Skaggz New Member

In other news:

Congress passed a law that now only requires one (1) period at the end of a sentence.