More Motorola News: Moto Sends Out Soak Test Invites for Droid RAZR HD & MAXX HD

KaChow

Reaction score
Yep. I followed those directions and it said the failure was on the browserproviderproxy.apk...

Well, if you followed those directions and looks like you received an error due to an application. You have two choices. You can either do an FDR which may work, or you can install the Factory ROM through RSD Lite. I tend to go the route of RSD, do you plan to unlock the Bootloader at all, as I have both versions, it is your call. Benefit is with an Unlocked Bootloader you can lose Root and regain Root after the OTA, if you do not have an Unlocked Bootloader, if you lose Root you will not regain Root after the install as Dan Rosenberg is done with Motorola. Either way let me know.

scion676

Reaction score
Well, if you followed those directions and looks like you received an error due to an application. You have two choices. You can either do an FDR which may work, or you can install the Factory ROM through RSD Lite. I tend to go the route of RSD, do you plan to unlock the Bootloader at all, as I have both versions, it is your call. Benefit is with an Unlocked Bootloader you can lose Root and regain Root after the OTA, if you do not have an Unlocked Bootloader, if you lose Root you will not regain Root after the install as Dan Rosenberg is done with Motorola. Either way let me know.

Damn, was hoping you wouldn't say that. I'm too lazy to go through setting up everything again :) guess I'll just wait till my hardware upgrade this fall. Phone's been working alright anyway. Main reason I was going to do it was for the potential radio improvements but I just read your other thread on upgrading the radio by itself and it looks like it might wipe the device too...

Thanks for the insight though!

KaChow

Reaction score
Please note that there are two builds, per the updated notice.

Oakley Sunglasses

01.jpg
02.jpg
03.jpg
04.jpg
05.jpg
06.jpg
07.jpg

If you followed this thread then you would have noticed I answered your question before you asked it. The 9.16.6 applies to nearly 80% of all Motorola HD owners> which the update moves them towards version 9.18.79. There was an update that was later released in April it was unintentional but none the less Motorola HD owners> very few received it which was 9.16.9 which can be updated to version 9.20.1. There are however safe versions of both updates that can be downgraded or restored to via RSD Lite, and there are FXZ versions that are available which FXZ's often apply only to those with an Unlocked Bootloader/Root. However, there are safe versions for those of us that have modified system apps and are unable to get these updates to complete. One of the important items included in this OTA is a new Radio, discovered in Baseband changing the previous ending in 09P to 15P this is perhaps the biggest benefit in taking the upgrade. The upgrade on other devices was successful in not only reclaiming Root access but also sealing the Unlocked Bootloader which is not the case on devices XT926. In fact with an Unlocked Bootloader devices can regain Root after losing Root as long as an Unlocked Bootloader was included.

KaChow

Reaction score
Damn, was hoping you wouldn't say that. I'm too lazy to go through setting up everything again :) guess I'll just wait till my hardware upgrade this fall. Phone's been working alright anyway. Main reason I was going to do it was for the potential radio improvements but I just read your other thread on upgrading the radio by itself and it looks like it might wipe the device too...

Thanks for the insight though!

If you don't want to go through the hassle, you can reFlash the new radio via this Link...

bryguy23

Reaction score
Ok, I've been up and down this thread and others making sure to read and re-read everything before applying the update, but the update failed for me. I tried via the OTA system prompt twice and once via stock recovery. Details below:

XT926 - Droid Razr HD Maxx. Current system version is 9.16.6 and new version is 9.18.79. I am rooted and bootloader is unlocked (just decided to do that yesterday). I had installed TWRP via Razr HD Recovery Flasher V6 (and manually typed the commands from the .bat file because I'm on a Mac), but I saw that stock recovery was required so I put that back on via the same tool. I also did temp unroot via Voodoo OTA Rootkeeper before applying the update. Both times I tried via the system prompt it failed within 30 seconds (saw "dead" Android for a few seconds and then it reboots). I manually applied the update through recovery (via ADB since I don't have an external SD card) and the error is below:

assert failed: apply_patch_check("/modem/image/dsps.b01", "62d778c9c131d326314a621c07c83f773d0ae90e", "bf66bb5baa2113e35c766e77015f902b2fce9e1c")

Now, my guess is that this has something to do with my baseband being a different version (ends in .05 instead .09 like everyone else). I wonder if the last update failed a baseband update but the OS update succeeded and I didn't notice. Thoughts?

KaChow

Reaction score
Ok, I've been up and down this thread and others making sure to read and re-read everything before applying the update, but the update failed for me. I tried via the OTA system prompt twice and once via stock recovery. Details below:

XT926 - Droid Razr HD Maxx. Current system version is 9.16.6 and new version is 9.18.79. I am rooted and bootloader is unlocked (just decided to do that yesterday). I had installed TWRP via Razr HD Recovery Flasher V6 (and manually typed the commands from the .bat file because I'm on a Mac), but I saw that stock recovery was required so I put that back on via the same tool. I also did temp unroot via Voodoo OTA Rootkeeper before applying the update. Both times I tried via the system prompt it failed within 30 seconds (saw "dead" Android for a few seconds and then it reboots). I manually applied the update through recovery (via ADB since I don't have an external SD card) and the error is below:

assert failed: apply_patch_check("/modem/image/dsps.b01", "62d778c9c131d326314a621c07c83f773d0ae90e", "bf66bb5baa2113e35c766e77015f902b2fce9e1c")

Now, my guess is that this has something to do with my baseband being a different version (ends in .05 instead .09 like everyone else). I wonder if the last update failed a baseband update but the OS update succeeded and I didn't notice. Thoughts?

Just to make sure your current System version is 9.18.79 and Baseband end in .05P is correct?

bryguy23

Reaction score
Just to make sure your current System version is 9.18.79 and Baseband end in .05P is correct?

No, current version is still 9.16.6. Yes, baseband ends in .05P

(I only mentioned new version is 9.18.79 because I thought there is another update out there)

KaChow

Reaction score
No, current version is still 9.16.6. Yes, baseband ends in .05P

(I only mentioned new version is 9.18.79 because I thought there is another update out there)

Since, you currently have System version 9.16.6 then the OTA that you need is 9.16.6 which will update you to System version 9.18.79. There is a second version which is for System version 9.16.9 that updates to 9.20.1 this is not for your device.

Try this if you would Download the OTA from Settings> About phone> System updates. Do not install, yet. Go to your Mac and first make sure you have the latest version of Device Manager or get it from here. Next, plug in your device and allow Device Manager to connect with it (this may or may not work) go into your Settings> About phone> System updates and select the Install update while plugged in with Device Manager running. Since, your Bootloader is unlocked do not worry about backing up via RootKeeper OTA as if this installation works it will destroy Root anyhow. I have a method here, that you can use to regain Root after the OTA works.

In the event that the OTA does go through and the new Radio does not install, click here. GL!

bryguy23

Reaction score
Since, you currently have System version 9.16.6 then the OTA that you need is 9.16.6 which will update you to System version 9.18.79. There is a second version which is for System version 9.16.9 that updates to 9.20.1 this is not for your device.

Try this if you would Download the OTA from Settings> About phone> System updates. Do not install, yet. Go to your Mac and first make sure you have the latest version of Device Manager or get it from here. Next, plug in your device and allow Device Manager to connect with it (this may or may not work) go into your Settings> About phone> System updates and select the Install update while plugged in with Device Manager running. Since, your Bootloader is unlocked do not worry about backing up via RootKeeper OTA as if this installation works it will destroy Root anyhow. I have a method here, that you can use to regain Root after the OTA works.

In the event that the OTA does go through and the new Radio does not install, click here. GL!

No dice, still failed, same error (according to /cache/recovery/last_log). I also tried the update through Device Manager but it reports my battery is too low (how is 67% too low for the MAXX? :biggrin:)

Edit: I'm going to go plug it into the AC, see if I can get an "acceptable" battery charge

bryguy23

Reaction score
No dice, still failed, same error (according to /cache/recovery/last_log). I also tried the update through Device Manager but it reports my battery is too low (how is 67% too low for the MAXX? :biggrin:)

Edit: I'm going to go plug it into the AC, see if I can get an "acceptable" battery charge

Success...sort of. I got 9.18.79 and baseband 15P finally...but even though I thought I told it not to erase my data, it still did. I thought that applied to the "pseudo" sdcard partition but I guess not. At least my photos and important apps are backed up to Dropbox, but I lost my complete backup and TWRP backups.

Now of to root I guess...

KaChow

Reaction score
Success...sort of. I got 9.18.79 and baseband 15P finally...but even though I thought I told it not to erase my data, it still did. I thought that applied to the "pseudo" sdcard partition but I guess not. At least my photos and important apps are backed up to Dropbox, but I lost my complete backup and TWRP backups.

Now of to root I guess...

Glad to see that it worked, did this go through without any errors by downloading the OTA in the System updates and then applying the update while connected to the Device Manager?

I would highly recommend spending a few bills and purchasing an SD card strictly to back up important files, afterall this device is not done with OTA's. And if those of us that have an Unlocked Bootloader if we can install the OTA's error free from Device Manager, than that will save a great deal of time and aggravation.

bryguy23

Reaction score
Glad to see that it worked, did this go through without any errors by downloading the OTA in the System updates and then applying the update while connected to the Device Manager?
No, I did the update through Device Manager, the OTA still failed with the same error when connected.

I would highly recommend spending a few bills and purchasing an SD card strictly to back up important files, afterall this device is not done with OTA's. And if those of us that have an Unlocked Bootloader if we can install the OTA's error free from Device Manager, than that will save a great deal of time and aggravation.
I've thought about buying an SD card since I had around 18GB of music on there and my TB backups were around 1GB, space was starting to get a little tight. I wanted to see what the new Motorola phones were like (the Ultra Maxx and the new Moto X) but I knew they wouldn't take SD cards. Oh well, if we ever get 4.2+ on the XT926 then I'll be happy. In the meantime, I'll take this accident as an opportunity to start fresh and only install the apps I need.

mitch2000

Reaction score

I just want to say Thanks, Thanks, Thanks!!! You guys are amazing...

It took me 2 months to grow a set, but this worked like a champ.

I was rooted and unlocked (everything else stock).
Backed up root with OTA Rootkeeper
Connected phone to laptop as above
Installed updates
Restored root with OTA Rootkeeper

Thanks!