More Motorola News: Moto Sends Out Soak Test Invites for Droid RAZR HD & MAXX HD

KaChow

Reaction score
Thank you so much! I will give this a try today when I have some time & report back as soon as I do. One question: the above part I bolded. Do I reboot or just shut down then start the power + volume sequence? Or do I need to start that in an actual reboot? Thanks again!

With the Reboot as soon as the screen turns black> immediately hold the Power button + Volume (+) up to get into the Bootloader options. Applying this method there is no Reboot or Shut down.

4shlr

Reaction score
OK so I did everything step by step. Flashed stock recovery, dl'd the 9.16.6 OTA from your hyperlink (thanks btw) put it on ext SD. Installed it from stock recovery then rebooted. Used voodoo to temp unroot and took the OTA update. It once again reboots to the update screen (the blue circling orb thing) then about 1/3rd the way through it aborts and I'm left with the dead android (red triangle) screen. Phone reboots and I do not have the newer version or baseband. I really appreciate all the help but I'll probably just wait until there is a version of the OTA update that I can flash through TWRP. Which, btw, can I use that tool to flash the newest version of TWRP back onto my phone in its current form? Thanks again for all the help.

KaChow

Reaction score
OK so I did everything step by step. Flashed stock recovery, dl'd the 9.16.6 OTA from your hyperlink (thanks btw) put it on ext SD. Installed it from stock recovery then rebooted. Used voodoo to temp unroot and took the OTA update. It once again reboots to the update screen (the blue circling orb thing) then about 1/3rd the way through it aborts and I'm left with the dead android (red triangle) screen. Phone reboots and I do not have the newer version or baseband. I really appreciate all the help but I'll probably just wait until there is a version of the OTA update that I can flash through TWRP. Which, btw, can I use that tool to flash the newest version of TWRP back onto my phone in its current form? Thanks again for all the help.

Yes, you can use that Recovery Flasher tool to Flash the latest recovery which TWRP 2.6 is the latest. Also, check a few posts of mine before this one as there is Utility to Flash just the new Radio.

It's also posted in Development section in the RAZR Maxx HD section.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 4 Beta

4shlr

Reaction score
Yes, you can use that Recovery Flasher tool to Flash the latest recovery which TWRP 2.6 is the latest. Also, check a few posts of mine before this one as there is Utility to Flash just the new Radio.

It's also posted in Development section in the RAZR Maxx HD section.

Thanks man! Like I said I really appreciate all the help. I'd be lost without these forums! Do I need to still be stock recovery to use this Utility to flash the new radio?

KaChow

Reaction score
Thanks man! Like I said I really appreciate all the help. I'd be lost without these forums! Do I need to still be stock recovery to use this Utility to flash the new radio?

I believe you can Flash the Radio in ANY type of Recovery, as installation is through RSD Lite. Enjoy!

lmcl

Reaction score
As much good info as I find here I have to say sometimes these forums give me a scare. So many people having trouble or getting into boot-loops. Because of it I find myself spending an inordinate amount of time reading everything I can before taking a chance with my phone. A lot of what is written is very valid but a lot is also guessing. I do think though that actually the very large majority of issues arise by people rushing and making mistakes. If you read what the developers like MattiGroff and others say and follow thier advice to the letter it usually goes well. As far as the unlocked boot-loader causing a problem it doesn't even make sense. If Motorola chooses to try to close that issue they will simply do so, there is no reason whatsoever for it to create an update error. The purpose of Motorola writing something into the new code to address the issue would be to re-lock the boot-loader or prevent it's being unlocked and would not prevent a successful update. A forgotten frozen app or a recovery are far more likely suspects. I know I have had updates fail in the past for both those reasons. Another more serious issue could be having deleted an app. You can never be fully sure what it's relationships in the overall system are and once deleted if it causes an update to fail you have a real problem which is likely to require a total reset to factory to solve. Far better to simply freeze bloatware to prevent it's system overhead, the storage space it requires is minimal when compared to the potential problems removal can cause. As for myself this time again I followed a strict protocol of first unfreezing every app, next removing my recovery (since I still use safestrap that part is simple), then making sure SU is at it's latest update and temporarily unrooting with Voodoo, Then finally using the manual method to update suggested by KaChow earlier in this post, since it simply seems safer than doing it OTA. End result the update went without a flaw both for the system and radios and Voodoo restored root without a problem, also my boot-loader still remains unlocked so apparently Motorola has not yet found a way to re-lock it, whether they have blocked the ability to unlock it is entirely a different issue that I have no way to test.

scion676

Reaction score
I believe you can Flash the Radio in ANY type of Recovery, as installation is through RSD Lite. Enjoy!

So now that I've tried the manual flashing method in recovery, I know what the problem is. A few months back, I tried to use an installer app from the market to install the aosp browser on my phone which had a convoluted process but I think it messed with the system app folder. My update is failing because of an issue with the browserprovider.apk file. Does anyone know if simply replacing that apk in the system apps folder will fix my problem?

lmcl

Reaction score
After unlocking the boot-loader on my Razr Maxx hd I started getting a warning at startup that contained a reference to a website www.Motorola.com/unlockbootloader so I just checked it out of curiosity. As it turns out they actually are willing to support unlocking the boot-loader of certain developer edition phones and by simply agreeing that your warranty is voided they will give you a code to unlock it. Although this is limited to certain devices it seems unlikely that they will make much attempt to block the process on other devices. So I think we can put the notion that an unlocked device will cause update issues to rest.

KaChow

Reaction score
As much good info as I find here I have to say sometimes these forums give me a scare. So many people having trouble or getting into boot-loops. Because of it I find myself spending an inordinate amount of time reading everything I can before taking a chance with my phone. A lot of what is written is very valid but a lot is also guessing. I do think though that actually the very large majority of issues arise by people rushing and making mistakes. If you read what the developers like MattiGroff and others say and follow thier advice to the letter it usually goes well. As far as the unlocked boot-loader causing a problem it doesn't even make sense. If Motorola chooses to try to close that issue they will simply do so, there is no reason whatsoever for it to create an update error. The purpose of Motorola writing something into the new code to address the issue would be to re-lock the boot-loader or prevent it's being unlocked and would not prevent a successful update. A forgotten frozen app or a recovery are far more likely suspects. I know I have had updates fail in the past for both those reasons. Another more serious issue could be having deleted an app. You can never be fully sure what it's relationships in the overall system are and once deleted if it causes an update to fail you have a real problem which is likely to require a total reset to factory to solve. Far better to simply freeze bloatware to prevent it's system overhead, the storage space it requires is minimal when compared to the potential problems removal can cause. As for myself this time again I followed a strict protocol of first unfreezing every app, next removing my recovery (since I still use safestrap that part is simple), then making sure SU is at it's latest update and temporarily unrooting with Voodoo, Then finally using the manual method to update suggested by KaChow earlier in this post, since it simply seems safer than doing it OTA. End result the update went without a flaw both for the system and radios and Voodoo restored root without a problem, also my boot-loader still remains unlocked so apparently Motorola has not yet found a way to re-lock it, whether they have blocked the ability to unlock it is entirely a different issue that I have no way to test.

For those of you that know me, I go through these threads. Not only do I try them, but I try what works and what fails. This OTA reminds me of the OTA to 4.1.2, it is highly sensitive and does not stick unless everthing else aligns. With this latest OTA I attempted both versions 9.16.6 and 9.16.9, I found that 9.16.6 stuck more than 9.16.9 as the DST overall was much smoother. In the Development thread of the Droid Razr Maxx HD, I posted a separate thread for just the Radio, the current Baseband ends in .09P and the new baseband ends in .15P. there is in fact for those wishing to Flash the new Baseband the link is listed in the Development Section. Normally, what I do is I address all issues and concerns in ONE single thread. I did not do that this time, as I new there would be multiple concerns with different errors and messages, therefore I responded to each and everyone. I still suggest if you want to understand more about the OTA, the changes, the System Versions, and the Basebands, to look in this announcement that was posted originally by DGStorm.

So now that I've tried the manual flashing method in recovery, I know what the problem is. A few months back, I tried to use an installer app from the market to install the aosp browser on my phone which had a convoluted process but I think it messed with the system app folder. My update is failing because of an issue with the browserprovider.apk file. Does anyone know if simply replacing that apk in the system apps folder will fix my problem?

First and foremost, you need to have a device that has an Unlocked Boootloader, there many devices that claim that they have this, I suggest reading Dan Rosenberg's personal message on how he Unlocked the Bootloader, it is well worth reading

After unlocking the boot-loader on my Razr Maxx hd I started getting a warning at startup that contained a reference to a website www.Motorola.com/unlockbootloader so I just checked it out of curiosity. As it turns out they actually are willing to support unlocking the boot-loader of certain developer edition phones and by simply agreeing that your warranty is voided they will give you a code to unlock it. Although this is limited to certain devices it seems unlikely that they will make much attempt to block the process on other devices. So I think we can put the notion that an unlocked device will cause update issues to rest.
In Dan's example if you are failing to Unlock your Bootloader, you may want to check what device you have. I have posted everywhere in the approriate sections what you need to have and how to unlock/root your device. Any questions at anytime do not hesitate to ask, after this is what I am here for.

may people like this

Everyone does....

scion676

Reaction score
For those of you that know me, I go through these threads. Not only do I try them, but I try what works and what fails. This OTA reminds me of the OTA to 4.1.2, it is highly sensitive and does not stick unless everthing else aligns. With this latest OTA I attempted both versions 9.16.6 and 9.16.9, I found that 9.16.6 stuck more than 9.16.9 as the DST overall was much smoother. In the Development thread of the Droid Razr Maxx HD, I posted a separate thread for just the Radio, the current Baseband ends in .09P and the new baseband ends in .15P. there is in fact for those wishing to Flash the new Baseband the link is listed in the Development Section. Normally, what I do is I address all issues and concerns in ONE single thread. I did not do that this time, as I new there would be multiple concerns with different errors and messages, therefore I responded to each and everyone. I still suggest if you want to understand more about the OTA, the changes, the System Versions, and the Basebands, to look in this announcement that was posted originally by DGStorm.

First and foremost, you need to have a device that has an Unlocked Boootloader, there many devices that claim that they have this, I suggest reading Dan Rosenberg's personal message on how he Unlocked the Bootloader, it is well worth reading

In Dan's example if you are failing to Unlock your Bootloader, you may want to check what device you have. I have posted everywhere in the approriate sections what you need to have and how to unlock/root your device. Any questions at anytime do not hesitate to ask, after this is what I am here for.

Everyone does....

Hey kachow, thanks for all of the help so far man, it's really appreciated. I'm not sure I understand your response to my last question. I am not interested in being unlocked and I'm not sure what that has to do with getting the update to stick. As I said, I think I messed up an apk I'm my system folder when trying to install the aosp browser a while back, and now that's what seems to be causing the failure... my question was, do you think if I manually replace the apk, it will allow me to flash the update?

KaChow

Reaction score

That won't work, install this first OTA Rootkeeper then open Restore Root. Next install this to the SD Card (do not place in a folder) here is the file . After the file has installed to the SD Card, go into the App Draware and find OTA Rootkeeper and then Temp -UnRoot. After Temp unroot hold Power + Volume(-) down, [this is to reboot] then as soon as the screen turns black hold Power + Volume (+) up highlight the Recovery then press Voulme (+) up on Recovery. At the Dead Android hold Volume (-) down then quickly press Volume (+) this will put you into the recovery menu scroll down to the install from SD card press "Power" highlight the ota will start with Blur... press the Power button. Should install nice and clean, if not keep a record of the error you receive. And post in this forum section. I know many ways to get the OTA to install.

scion676

Reaction score
That won't work, install this first OTA Rootkeeper then open Restore Root. Next install this to the SD Card (do not place in a folder) here is the file . After the file has installed to the SD Card, go into the App Draware and find OTA Rootkeeper and then Temp -UnRoot. After Temp unroot hold Power + Volume(-) down, [this is to reboot] then as soon as the screen turns black hold Power + Volume (+) up highlight the Recovery then press Voulme (+) up on Recovery. At the Dead Android hold Volume (-) down then quickly press Volume (+) this will put you into the recovery menu scroll down to the install from SD card press "Power" highlight the ota will start with Blur... press the Power button. Should install nice and clean, if not keep a record of the error you receive. And post in this forum section. I know many ways to get the OTA to install.

Yep. I followed those directions and it said the failure was on the browserproviderproxy.apk...