More Motorola News: Moto Sends Out Soak Test Invites for Droid RAZR HD & MAXX HD

Discussion in 'Droid Forums Member News Depot' started by dgstorm, Jul 4, 2013.

1. KaChow

KaChow Guest

I amended my original statement to the, “in most cases” as I have read that a few people have installed this with TWRP (not sure how.) I have tried flashing this through both JB system versions 9.16.6 and 9.16.9 with TWRP, while the OTA does download, what occurs is the device powers down> then boots into Recovery to install the update. However with TWRP installed the installation ends, I did not check to see what would happen if I mounted the system and flashed the OTA through TWRP recovery, as it seemed redundant and not worthwhile. The only way that I have been able to get the OTA to run has been with Stock Recovery, what I have noticed is that if the OTA is installed through System updates which this is done by downloading the update and selecting Install once download is available, if for any reason the OTA fails then there will not be any notification of what failed, should just see the dead android. If you are having difficulties with the OTA I would suggest, first making sure that you have Stock Recovery, check the system version for this:

9.16.6 = 9.18.79 (50.13mb)

9.16.9 = 9.20.1 (48.11mb)

What I have done is I have linked both of the updates under the system versions above. Whether you have Root, are Unlocked, or do not have Root, if there are errors in flashing these updates, then they can be flashed manually through the Stock Recovery. Start by downloading the above, and copy the update onto your SD card (do not place in a folder.) With the update stored on your SD card, go ahead and Reboot Power + Volume (-) down> as soon as the screen is Black/Blank hold Power + Volume (+)> press the Volume (-) down button to “Recovery” once highlighted press the Volume (+) up> on the next screen you should see the dead android as soon as it appears hold the Volume (-) down button and quickly press the Volume (+) up button> this will launch you into Recovery, just scroll down with Volume (-) down and highlight the install from external sd card and press the Power button, look on the SD card for the appropriate file, highlight, and press Power.

What I have noticed is that if for any reason the Update fails, there will be a reason given as to why it failed, which this is not the case with Updating through System Updates. The common errors that I have seen have been related to apps, whether it was the Acoustic Warning, or the Backup Assistant, or even the Calendar, it seems that this update does a thorough job of reviewing the system apps.
    With performing these updates, whether an error message is received or not, the way to confirm whether the update was successful or not relies on 1) the System version that should be either 9.18.79 (most cases) or 9.20.1, the 2) is to review the Baseband radio:

VANQUISH_BP_100730.081.64.09P = OLD RADIO
    VANQUISH_BP_100730.160.64.15P = NEW RADIO

Also check the build date which it should reflect the date of “Sat May 25”

Imo> the 9.18.79 is a more stable update, while all attempts that I have made have failed to some degree, my last attempt with 9.18.79 has ended with me acquiring the New Radio, so I’m done.
  2. djspy

djspy Member

In the Motorola forums they stated that if you have a custom recovery the update will fail.
  3. bweN diorD

bweN diorD Well-Known Member

they lied, i installed it with twrp installed.
  4. bweN diorD

if i knew so many people would say it will fail if you have a custom recovery installed, i would have taken a video LOL!
  5. 4shlr

4shlr Member

So how did you do it?
  6. 4shlr

4shlr Member

Will I be able to flash TWRP back on after I take the update? Also, will I need to reflash the JB extreme theme? Thanks btw
  7. KaChow

KaChow Guest

After the OTA you can flash TWRP custom recovery. This OTA does not erase your Data, therefore there is no need to reflash the JB Extreme theme. gl:thumbup:

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2
  8. bweN diorD

i did a clean flash of the os then just took the update through system update (while twrp was installed). no secret way or special method.
  9. jackiescivic

jackiescivic Well-Known Member

Okay, silly question, but if I have a completely stock phone, the update shouldn't have any problems, right??
  10. djspy

djspy Member

Correct.
  11. 4shlr

4shlr Member

OK thanks
  12. 4shlr

4shlr Member

OK thanks. So will I be able to just boot up the Razr HD utility 1.20 and flash TWRP again or will that utility not work anymore after this update?
  13. bweN diorD

the utility should still work.
  14. KaChow

KaChow Guest

Here Flash this instead Recovery Flashers V6 this a utility that flashes Recovery, it has ALSO been UPDATED to the latest version of TWRP compliments of Hashcode.
  15. 4shlr

4shlr Member

OK so I ran this, installed moto stock recovery. Temp un-rooted and took the update but it keeps failing. I check the build number & baseband number & I'm still running the old. Any thoughts? The only thing I thought was just trying to flash the stock recovery again to be sure...
  16. KaChow

KaChow Guest

There are quite a few routes to go, so nothing is exhausted and we can get this OTA on your device somehow, so don't worry there. I'm not sure what version you have so I'll post both OTA's this for System version 9.16.6 and this is for 9.16.9, download the file and save to your External SD card. Go ahead and use OTA Rootkeeper and Temp Un-Root your device, then Reboot> Power + Volume (-) down, once screen is black hold Power = Volume (+) up, use Volume down to select Recovery and click Volume up. At the dead Android screen hold Volume (-) down and quickly press Volume (+) up this will put you into Recovery> scroll down to the option to install from external storage and press Power. Installing the OTA from this angle, if the OTA fails, you will receive a message as to what failed. Which if something does fail the next step I would suggest is doing an FDR which will wipe everything, if Root is lost which it shouldn't> just use Motochopper to restore Root. Then do an OTA Rootkeeper backup and install the OTA. If it fails again, post and I'll post another route.
  17. KaChow

KaChow Guest

18. 4shlr

4shlr Member

Thank you so much! I will give this a try today when I have some time & report back as soon as I do. One question: the above part I bolded. Do I reboot or just shut down then start the power + volume sequence? Or do I need to start that in an actual reboot? Thanks again!
  19. 4shlr

4shlr Member

Also, should I verify that I did flash the stock recovery before trying this?
  20. 4shlr

4shlr Member

So I shut down and tried to boot into stock recovery but it just takes me to the dead android with the red triangle with (!) in it. Should I run the .bat file again and try to flash the stock recovery again?
Search tags for this page
9.16.9.xt926

9.18.79.en.us

9.20.1 root

any problems with latest droid update 9.18.79.en.us
droid razr maxx hd update 9.18.79
razr hd update root
razr maxx hd root
root 9.20.1.xt926
update 9.18.79

update 9.18.79.en.us

upgrade razr maxx hd and not loose root