More Motorola News: Moto Sends Out Soak Test Invites for Droid RAZR HD & MAXX HD

KaChow

Reaction score
So what's the bottom line here. I just purchased a Maxx HD on Saturday, and the previous owner had already updated to 9.20.1. Can the phone still be rooted?

If the Update was installed and your System Version reads 9.20.1 then you cannot Root from this point going forward(as of yet.) The updates resulting in System version 9.18.79 and 9.20.1 closed the Motochopper Root Exploit.

rcglider

Reaction score
If the Update was installed and your System Version reads 9.20.1 then you cannot Root from this point going forward(as of yet.) The updates resulting in System version 9.18.79 and 9.20.1 closed the Motochopper Root Exploit.

Thanks, it does. I suspect as with past phones I've had, there will be a new exploit available at some point. I'm in no hurry, unless I discover I can't tether stealth-fully anymore on my unlimited plan.

4shlr

Reaction score
HELP!
I am rooted and unlocked bootloader. I used ota rootkeeper to temp unroot and took the ota. My phone started to shutdown then rebooted into TWRP recovery. I can reboot system, but after a few seconds of my phone being on it automatically shuts down again. I'm basically stuck in a reboot loop. Any ideas???

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
For future reference you can't OTA with TWRP installed. You need everything stock.

If you keep getting loops, wipe data or flash back to 4.1.2 or try installing a ROM.

Sent from my XT926 using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

4shlr

Reaction score
For future reference you can't OTA with TWRP installed. You need everything stock.

If you keep getting loops, wipe data or flash back to 4.1.2 or try installing a ROM.

Thank you, after I did that I wondered if having TWRP on there was stopping it. Luckily I did a backup right before so I restored that and all is good. Then I downloaded an app freezer to freeze the updater until I figure out what to do next. Can I download the update and install it manually through TWRP?

KaChow

Reaction score
Thank you, after I did that I wondered if having TWRP on there was stopping it. Luckily I did a backup right before so I restored that and all is good. Then I downloaded an app freezer to freeze the updater until I figure out what to do next. Can I download the update and install it manually through TWRP?

First, thing you need to do is restore your device, do you have a TWRP backup of the stock 4.1.2 saved, it can be either System version 9.16.6 or 9.16.9. If not let me know and I'll post an FXZ for you.

KaChow

Reaction score

This is in most cases correct, it's TRUE you cannot manually Flash an update through Custom Recovery, however some have been able to install the OTA through System updates while having a Custom Recovery. I'm testing this out shortly on the 9.20.1 update, which if it is a success than it will confirm that it works on both update versions.

View attachment 64743

Last edited:

4shlr

Reaction score
First, thing you need to do is restore your device, do you have a TWRP backup of the stock 4.1.2 saved, it can be either System version 9.16.6 or 9.16.9. If not let me know and I'll post an FXZ for you.

Yes I restored my device to the 4.1.2 I had backed up in TWRP. It is 9.16.6...I am also running the JB extreme theme will that interfere with anything?

KaChow

Reaction score
Yes I restored my device to the 4.1.2 I had backed up in TWRP. It is 9.16.6...I am also running the JB extreme theme will that interfere with anything?

No, JB Extreme will not interferre. Start with this since you had issues with the previous Update install, download this file and extract it to your desktop and "run" the run.bat file, and install the Stock Recovery on your device. Once the Stock recovery is installed, go into your App Drawer and open OTA Rootkeeper and backup SU with the Temp-UnRoot. Then go into the Settings> About phone> System updates and download and install the Update. Let it go through should be nice and clean, after it reboots, restore Root and check my earlier comment to ensure that the System Version is 9.18.79 and you have the .15P ending new Baseband.

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
This is in most cases correct, it's TRUE you cannot manually Flash an update through Custom Recovery, however some have been able to install the OTA through System updates while having a Custom Recovery. I'm testing this out shortly on the 9.20.1 update, which if it is a success than it will confirm that it works on both update versions.

View attachment 64743

That doesn't sound right to me. The official ota checks for specific system items and requirements. A custom recovery will come back invalid. Doesn't mean you can't side load the ota but trying to take it officially is a no go.

KaChow

Reaction score
That doesn't sound right to me. The official ota checks for specific system items and requirements. A custom recovery will come back invalid. Doesn't mean you can't side load the ota but trying to take it officially is a no go.

I amended my original statement to the, “in most cases” as I have read that a few people have installed this with TWRP (not sure how.) I have tried flashing this through both JB system versions 9.16.6 and 9.16.9 with TWRP, while the OTA does download, what occurs is the device powers down> then boots into Recovery to install the update. However with TWRP installed the installation ends, I did not check to see what would happen if I mounted the system and flashed the OTA through TWRP recovery, as it seemed redundant and not worthwhile. The only way that I have been able to get the OTA to run has been with Stock Recovery, what I have noticed is that if the OTA is installed through System updates which this is done by downloading the update and selecting Install once download is available, if for any reason the OTA fails then there will not be any notification of what failed, should just see the dead android. If you are having difficulties with the OTA I would suggest, first making sure that you have Stock Recovery, check the system version for this:

9.16.6 = 9.18.79 (50.13mb)
9.16.9 = 9.20.1 (48.11mb)
What I have done is I have linked both of the updates under the system versions above. Whether you have Root, are Unlocked, or do not have Root, if there are errors in flashing these updates, then they can be flashed manually through the Stock Recovery. Start by downloading the above, and copy the update onto your SD card (do not place in a folder.) With the update stored on your SD card, go ahead and Reboot Power + Volume (-) down> as soon as the screen is Black/Blank hold Power + Volume (+)> press the Volume (-) down button to “Recovery” once highlighted press the Volume (+) up> on the next screen you should see the dead android as soon as it appears hold the Volume (-) down button and quickly press the Volume (+) up button> this will launch you into Recovery, just scroll down with Volume (-) down and highlight the install from external sd card and press the Power button, look on the SD card for the appropriate file, highlight, and press Power.

What I have noticed is that if for any reason the Update fails, there will be a reason given as to why it failed, which this is not the case with Updating through System Updates. The common errors that I have seen have been related to apps, whether it was the Acoustic Warning, or the Backup Assistant, or even the Calendar, it seems that this update does a thorough job of reviewing the system apps.
With performing these updates, whether an error message is received or not, the way to confirm whether the update was successful or not relies on 1) the System version that should be either 9.18.79 (most cases) or 9.20.1, the 2) is to review the Baseband radio:

VANQUISH_BP_100730.081.64.09P = OLD RADIO
VANQUISH_BP_100730.160.64.15P = NEW RADIO
Also check the build date which it should reflect the date of “Sat May 25”

Imo> the 9.18.79 is a more stable update, while all attempts that I have made have failed to some degree, my last attempt with 9.18.79 has ended with me acquiring the New Radio, so I’m done.

djspy

Reaction score
In the Motorola forums they stated that if you have a custom recovery the update will fail.

bweN diorD

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
G2

if i knew so many people would say it will fail if you have a custom recovery installed, i would have taken a video LOL!