More Motorola News: Moto Sends Out Soak Test Invites for Droid RAZR HD & MAXX HD

JohnFH

Reaction score
WRONG! There is a difference and it depends on what version of JB you are on. I'll post here shortly the differences in the versions.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Were you able to find the documentation to support your idea about the builds?

bweN diorD

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
G2
[h=2]DROID RAZR HD and MAXX HD Receiving Update to 9.20.1 and 9.18.79 – Fixes Bugs, Includes Google Security Patch[/h] by: Kellex | posted 07.09.13 | News
Update: For some reason, Verizon is now pushing out two different builds of 9.20.1 and 9.18.79. We aren’t sure why, but should we find out we’ll update the post.
A new update for the the Motorola DROID RAZR HD and RAZR MAXX HD has been approved by Verizon as build 9.20.1. It appears to be nothing more than a bug fixer, rather than the 4.2.2 update we were hoping for. In the update, users will find new versions of SmartActions and Backup Assistant. Outside of those new goodies, Motorola appears to have patched a bunch of SMS bugs, enhanced GPS and Bluetooth, and patched a security exploit.
The update is 50MB in size.
Typically when we see updates approved by Verizon, they begin to rollout within a week or so. We’ll keep you posted.

djspy

Reaction score
So 9.20 is for RAZR HD and 9.18 is for the Maxx HD. Same update different build numbers for different phones.

KaChow

Reaction score
Okay, so here is the UNOFFICIAL Explanation as Verizon has not provided a complete or public acknowledgement of what the differences are between the two versions or even why. Fortunately, the Development community has played a HUGE role in classifying all of this. Basically there are 2 Updates for the XT926 Razr HD/Maxx HD, the reason for this is there are 2 Versions of JB 4.1.2 which the first is the 9.16.6/MR2 which applies to the largest percentage of XT926 owners (this was the original update of 4.1.2 coming from 4.1.1), the 9.16.9/MR4 was an update that was briefly released (this upgraded MR2 to MR4). If you haven’t taken the update yet, go into Settings> About phone> System version if you have the matching below are the correct updates that should be taken.

1) 9.16.6/MR2 = 9.18.79
2) 9.16.9/MR4 = 9.20.1

Couple of other things, I should mention, with special thanks to Hashcode for originally pointing it out, these updates contained a NEW Radio.

1) VANQUISH_BP_100730.081.64.09P = OLD RADIO
2) VANQUISH_BP_100730.160.64.15P = NEW RADIO

If you are unsure of where the Baseband appears, to into Settings> About phone> Baseband version appears below Android version, if you view the screen shots in POST #13 that is the OLD RADIO and the screen shot in POST #16 is the NEW RADIO.

For those with ROOT, it is still recommended not to take the update until Development versions have been created and released that are SAFE. If you must it is at your own risk, as you know. Those with ROOT ONLY = NO UNLOCKED BOOTLOADER, MUST USE OTA ROOTKEEPER, if ROOT is lost there is NO way to Downgrade. If those that have ROOT = UNLOCKED BOOTLOADER, (still need to use OTA ROOTKEEPER) if ROOT is lost THERE ARE WAYS TO DOWNGRADE, and RESTORE ROOT. Keep in mind if you are not Unlocked already, have not taken the update, this maybe the last chance at gaining an UNLOCKED BOOTLOADER on this device.

KaChow

Reaction score
I have the Maxx and got the 18 update. Are you rooted? I am.

There has been a PROBLEM that has occurred for numerous people including myself, which seems to appear with having ROOT. The update pushes through to the near end and then it ABORTS (theory = I happen to think this has to do with the UNLOCKED BOOTLOADER as there BOOTLOADER patches in the update), there is no clear explanation as to why this happens or what the problem is or what really occurs, but what seems to happen is the UPDATE eventhough it ABORTS it still goes through, well some of it does, that is the OLD RADIO is still there and it does not Update correctly. I am stuck on the OLD BASEBAND, I also tested out the idea of not using OTA ROOTKEEPER (to see if ROOT was kept after the Update), which I LOST ROOT, and was able to RESTORE> hence my UNLOCKED BOOTLOADER and DST through Fastboot. But, to play it safe it is best to still hold this one out till Development finds a safe solution.

Last edited:

djspy

Reaction score
I guess I'm lucky. When I checked for the update and saw that it was available I pressed "download later" went to Voodoo and backed up, downloaded the update and installed with no problems then I restored root. I have the new radios.

KaChow

Reaction score
If anyone that has not taken the update yet that is on Version 9.16.9, could install from the Play store OTA Snatcher from Batakang then install it. Go into Settings> About phone> System updates and download the 9.20.1 Version and snatch it with OTA Snatcher. I have a backup of the 9.16.9 ROM and want to see if the Update installs completely with the new Baseband.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX HD using Tapatalk 4 beta

scion676

Reaction score
There has been a PROBLEM that has occurred for numerous people including myself, which seems to appear with having ROOT. The update pushes through to the near end and then it ABORTS (theory = I happen to think this has to do with the UNLOCKED BOOTLOADER as there BOOTLOADER patches in the update), there is no clear explanation as to why this happens or what the problem is or what really occurs, but what seems to happen is the UPDATE eventhough it ABORTS it still goes through, well some of it does, that is the OLD RADIO is still there and it does not Update correctly. I am stuck on the OLD BASEBAND, I also tested out the idea of not using OTA ROOTKEEPER (to see if ROOT was kept after the Update), which I LOST ROOT, and was able to RESTORE> hence my UNLOCKED BOOTLOADER and DST through Fastboot. But, to play it safe it is best to still hold this one out till Development finds a safe solution.

So I am having pretty much the same problem, though I've never unlocked, just rooted. I'm on the MR2 release. I went into Titanium Backup and unfroze all of the bloatware, protected root with OTA rootkeeper, downloaded and installed the update and it fails pretty quickly. I checked to see if any bloatware was disabled in the stock apps sub-settings and didn't find anything. The installation bar gets about 1/4 or 1/5th of the way before throwing up a red exclamation point for failure, and then booting back into the OS.

Any further ideas? I guess I'll just refreeze my bloatware and sit tight for the time being...

bweN diorD

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
G2
OK, I got the new baseband now :)
Flashed back to stock, left twrp installed, rooted, protected with voodoo, then took the update.
I lost root this time but voodoo fixed it right up :)
btw, my boot loader is unlocked.

e8asydy4.jpg

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

rcglider

Reaction score
So what's the bottom line here. I just purchased a Maxx HD on Saturday, and the previous owner had already updated to 9.20.1. Can the phone still be rooted?