More Flappy Bird News: Death Threats to Developer & $100K Flappy Bird Phones

Discussion in 'Android News' started by dgstorm, Feb 10, 2014.

1. dgstorm

dgstorm Editor in Chief
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,254
    [​IMG]

If you needed further proof that some people in the world are bat-sh*t crazy (pardon the salty language), then look no further than the recent controversial pulling of the Flappy Birds game, and the ensuing madness that has spawned because of it. In case you haven't heard about it, there is a big "flap" surrounding the game.

The game was created by Vietnamese developer Nguyen Ha Dong, and it suddenly exploded in popularity in just a short time. In fact, the game was apparently so popular it has been downloaded hundreds of millions of times, and the developer was making over $50,000 per day in ad revenue. For a number of different personal reasons, most likely due to the stress and pressure of the fame and having to support this new monster, Ha Dong decided that he had had enough and pulled the game after a brief warning. Here's what he said,

Now, although some/many of us might think this is "unusual" behavior, we want to be clear that none of us here at HQ are passing judgement about Ha Dong's decision. We understand that some folks might not be ready for massive overnight success, and/or might have personal reasons for wanting to stay low-key. Regardless of Ha Dong's reasons for removing Flappy Birds, the ensuing reaction has been absolutely astonishing.

First, it is apparent that a number of folks out there were very addicted to this game. After issuing his warning and also after removing the game from availability, some of the games Twitter followers messaged Nguyen Ha Dong with death threats and suicide threats! Here's a quote with just a few of them,

The madness continues beyond that, however. There are folks out there selling their smartphones on eBay with the game installed on them, and they already have bids for as much $99,000+ dollars (check it out here: eBay Search for Flappy Bird Phones!) Here's a quote with more of the details,

We have to admit, none of us here in at HQ have even tried the game, simply because we are currently too busy with beginning of year stuff to have the time. Regardless, we can't understand the hysteria surrounding this. Please sound off and let us know what you think of this game and the surrounding tomfoolery.

2. jspradling7

jspradling7 Active Member

Ratings:
    +214
    Unbelievable.

I downloaded and tried it on two different phones and couldn't get passed 4. lol I suck. I probably have a copy of it in TBU but have no desire to try it a third time. I do not see the attraction at all. As for getting stressed out about earning 50k a day... there must be more to that story.

3. johnomaz

johnomaz Silver Member

Ratings:
    +767
    Current Phone Model:
    Google Pixel XL
    I got to 66 on the game. Fun game, great for wasting time waiting for an appointment or something. Android users should know that its easy to find an APK. Many rooted users out there that could pass it out. As for Apple...ya...you have an iPhone. Enjoy the warm and fuzzies you get but unless you're jailbroken (good luck with Apple locking that down and the devs not wanting to release jailbreaks for fear of an update from Apple....). Anywho, the guy was smart. Make an easy game, get people hooked on it, create some kind of drama for it and rake in the money from the ads. He should have sold the game to Facebook or something for millions. They're dumb enough to have bought it.

4. Vepaot

Vepaot Silver Member

Ratings:
    +258
    Current Phone Model:
    LG G5 (LS992)
    Really, "Ha Dong"? I can't even make a joke about his name because there's laughter already in it.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Ohyea!

Ohyea! Member

Ratings:
    +20
    Current Phone Model:
    Nexus 6
    Lol, probably pulled it because it received too much attention. Seems like one of those rip off programs intended to fly beneath the radar while still bringing in a decent amount of cash. Me thinks Mr. Dong, feared the wrath of Nintendo.

6. liftedplane

liftedplane Gold Member

Ratings:
    +900
    $50,000 a day... I think I'll just change some colors and rerelease it for some quick cash.

That's ridiculous.

the game itself is alright... pretty difficult, almost too difficult.

it'll eventually be back I bet.

7. akhenax

akhenax Silver Member

Ratings:
    +500
    If Nintendo ever wanted to make some real money, they would make a Super Mario Brothers port for touch devices, Free, using ad generated profits.

• Like Like x 1
  8. akhenax

akhenax Silver Member

Ratings:
    +500
    He should just put the source code on ebay, sell it, and give someone else the headache of making 50K a freakin' day.

9. legalkill

legalkill Active Member

Ratings:
    +75
    Current Phone Model:
    Moto Z Force
    My daughter (12) and her friends play it alot apparently. I can't get past like 4.

Oh well.

10. jspradling7

jspradling7 Active Member

Ratings:
    +214
    Joust was more fun anyway (the old arcade version) there should be an Android version of that.

11. Hugh Jass

Hugh Jass Senior Member

Ratings:
    +123
    This stupid hysteria is kinda making me yearn for a Witch hunt.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Caesars

Caesars Senior Member

Ratings:
    +117
    Something's def not making it out about his decision, o well it will be back when he blows all his money.

So who makes the money from the ads currently? Are they just never going to be updated ?

Nexus5/iPhone5s

Search tags for this page
are people selling their phones with flappy bird

droid dna with flappy bird

droid razr with flappy bird
droid x with flappy birds
flappy bitds developer suicide
how much can i sale my droid bionic with flappy bird

how much do you get if u sell a phone with flappy bird

how much would a droid bionic sell for with flappy bird inst
why are people selling their phones with flappy birds
why are people.selling phones with flappy birds