More Exhange mail issues/questions

droidny

Reaction score
1. I thought one of the reasons to setup exchange mail via corporate sync was to get new mail pushed instantly to the phone. It's not working out this way for me, even though I have data push enabled, some emails are getting delayed by as much as 10 mins! Any way to fix that?
2. I cannot figure out a way to select and copy any contents of an email so that it could be pasted somewhere else. Surely there must be a way to do this!?
3. Still cannot search my my exchange messages?!?!

If anyone has any insight into these issues, please speak up! All help greatly appreciated.

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
1. You're not running a task killer, right? Don't. And do NOT use the stock email client! It is buggy. See this link for suggestions: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/te...date-can-no-longer-connect-exchange-help.html

2. K9 (free from the market) allows copy and paste. I don't think the stock email allows this.

3. K9 has search

As the link I posted says, Touchdown (another client, not free) is designed to work with exchange so it may be the best thing if you can spend the money. Anyway, the market has a 24 hour return policy so you can at least check it out.

OP
D

droidny

Reaction score
1. You're not running a task killer, right? Don't. And do NOT use the stock email client! It is buggy. See this link for suggestions: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/te...date-can-no-longer-connect-exchange-help.html

2. K9 (free from the market) allows copy and paste. I don't think the stock email allows this.

3. K9 has search

As the link I posted says, Touchdown (another client, not free) is designed to work with exchange so it may be the best thing if you can spend the money. Anyway, the market has a 24 hour return policy so you can at least check it out.

Thanks for all the helpful info. I will try out K9!

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
K9 doesn't work for everyone. (I think it's Microsoft's fault more than K9's.) But it's free so definitely worth a try. Maildroid is also free.

Touchdown isn't free, but I just checked it out and it looks like there's a 30 day free trial. It's actually called Exchange for Android 2.x
I read that Droid X users can get Touchdown for free. I'm not sure about Droid 2 users though.

OP
D

droidny

Reaction score
K9 doesn't work for everyone. (I think it's Microsoft's fault more than K9's.) But it's free so definitely worth a try. Maildroid is also free.

Touchdown isn't free, but I just checked it out and it looks like there's a 30 day free trial. It's actually called Exchange for Android 2.x
I read that Droid X users can get Touchdown for free. I'm not sure about Droid 2 users though.

It is shocking to me that we have to resort to third party apps for what is considered standard functionality on other smart phones (blackberries).
I hope Google is aware of all these issues and is working on implementing/improving these features.:mad:

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
It is shocking to me that we have to resort to third party apps for what is considered standard functionality on other smart phones (blackberries).
I hope Google is aware of all these issues and is working on implementing/improving these features.:mad:

A big thing about 2.2 was that it supposedly had a bunch of Exchange-related fixes/enhancements.

In Google's defense, Android is a very new platform and it takes time to deal with all the quirks of interfacing with a Microsoft product. Like I said, I personally blame Microsoft more than any email client.

kevroc

Reaction score
Since android is more of a consumer platform it's to be expected. The fact that Nokia's Symbian, Apple's iPhone, Windows Mobile (naturally) all support Exchange and Android is the odd one out. They'd rather work on Google maps and Voice search stuff...

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
They'd rather you switch to gmail! Ah, I was dumping on Microsoft, but Google is just as evil. Corporations! So evil!

el bandito

Reaction score
Does anybody know if the Samsung Galaxy S line or HTC Incredible has this same corporate sync/push problem? It's ridiculous on my Droid 2!

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Since android is more of a consumer platform it's to be expected. The fact that Nokia's Symbian, Apple's iPhone, Windows Mobile (naturally) all support Exchange and Android is the odd one out. They'd rather work on Google maps and Voice search stuff...

But you have to remember that it did take apple quite awhile to get their exchange support fully functioning on the iphone.

ITguy11

Reaction score
I have the same issues with my D2. The Exchange integration is terrible.

I have my phone synced with 2 different exchange accounts. 1 Account uses Touchdown and works flawlessly. The other uses the built in "corporate sync BS" Most messages don't show up unless I manually refresh my inbox.

I never had an issue with this exact same setup on my Droid 1...

Google needs to buy Nitro-Desk (makers of Touchdown) and implement the code into Android.

OP
D

droidny

Reaction score

I have found an app in the marketplace that works better than Touchdown or K9 for me. It's called Improved Email. Check it out, way better than the corporate sync BS that comes with the phone. dancedroid

ZPrime

Reaction score
FWIW, someone compared it to a Blackberry... Blackberries won't let you edit quoted text (from a prior e-mail that you're replying to or forwarding) either. ;)

plumcrazy

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have found an app in the marketplace that works better than Touchdown or K9 for me. It's called Improved Email. Check it out, way better than the corporate sync BS that comes with the phone. dancedroid

i cant find this in the market. is it called anything else ?

ZPrime, at least a BB can copy/paste something......

tobytl

Reaction score

i cant find this in the market. is it called anything else ?

ZPrime, at least a BB can copy/paste something......

Nope, just "Improved Email". Here's a QR/market link:

It's based off of the stock email app, with some tweaks (just like K9).

K9 has copy/paste...

It's not shocking at all that the core apps aren't completely feature rich. That's the design of android. They give you the core functionality, if you need more features, "there's an app for that"... I prefer the choice, some don't. In this case, it's an actual bug in the email client (which is being fixed), and not so much a matter of choice. But this design philosophy goes beyond the email client.

And don't tell me about the iPhone and exchange support, I had to deal with servers that the apple POS wouldn't even come close to syncing with. Still! post iOS4... They have to go out and find an antiquated version of Entourage, connect with exchange through it, then sync with Entourage... But those servers work fine on android, and have since day 1. Exchange is screwy, and it's microsoft's fault, the protocol varies _widely_ from exchange version to exchange version. Sometimes it changes enough to break clients on even point releases. Which is why companies usually don't ever upgrade once they have a working setup.

I'm sorry... I'm a network/PC tech by trade... Exchange is the bane of my existence, and quite possibly the work of the devil...