More excited about the nexus 5 or 4.4 key lime pie (kit kat)

TatDroid

Reaction score
Nexus 5! It'll be my go to phone once my contract is finished for my Bionic

If you have a Bionic that means you're on Verizon, which means there's a pretty good chance you WON'T be getting the Nexus 5 (unless you're switching carriers).

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Isn't one of the requirements to work for Verizon the ability to fake it, that if you don't know the answer make up something quickly and never use the words "I don't know" together in 1 sentence?

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
Beast Mode (Notetoo)

squeak

Reaction score
From what I heard from my friend that works for Verizon The Samsung GNex is going to be the last Nexus on Verizon.

I think Verizon will get a Nexus for the launch of android 5.0. I also think they will try for some sort of exclusivity deal. They have had short term exclusivity on the launch devices for android 2.0 (og droid), 3.0 (xoom), and 4.0 (galaxy nexus). Then they will screw it up and not see another nexus for a long time. I'm not sure what their issue is with nexus devices anyways, it seems like they would love them, they don't have to offer any subsidies that cut into their bottom line, just let Google handle the sales.

lostinspace

Reaction score
So,,, this phone will not be offered by Verizon or will not work on Verizon's network or both?

patmw123

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Having a non exchangeable battery is going to bother a LOT of people dead set on this device. I also came from a Galaxy Nexus and agree that the Note 3 is a better choice (or G2 as I'm using :),)... We'll see I guess. Having the same battery size as the OEM extended Galaxy Nexus battery has, we'll find out just how well the power consumption savings from using a new CPU and GPU (and radios as well) are. Well, anyone getting the N5 can tell me.. I'm quite happy.

The Galaxy Nexus' original stock OEM battery was 1850 mAh for the LTE version and 1750 mAh for the hspa+ version. The official samsung extended battery for the Galaxy Nexus was 2100 mAh for the LTE version and 2000 mAh for the hspa+ version. The Nexus 5 is "rumored" to have a 2300 mAH battery, which is obviously a little bigger than the extended battery for both versions of the Galaxy Nexus, not the same. I would have liked to see a battery upgrade though for the Nexus 5. It's the only thing that has me feeling a little uneasy about getting the phone.

So,,, this phone will not be offered by Verizon or will not work on Verizon's network or both?

There is little to no chance that this phone will be offered by Verizon and also little to no chance the Nexus 5 will work on Verizon's network.

I think Verizon will get a Nexus for the launch of android 5.0. I also think they will try for some sort of exclusivity deal. They have had short term exclusivity on the launch devices for android 2.0 (og droid), 3.0 (xoom), and 4.0 (galaxy nexus). Then they will screw it up and not see another nexus for a long time. I'm not sure what their issue is with nexus devices anyways, it seems like they would love them, they don't have to offer any subsidies that cut into their bottom line, just let Google handle the sales.

Considering that neither the OG Droid nor the XOOM are nexus devices, I don't see your logic. Verizon may have claimed to have exclusivity for the Galaxy Nexus, but they essentially just had exclusivity from the other carrier branded Galaxy Nexus' here in the US (Sprint). The hspa+ Galaxy Nexus was released nearly a month prior to the Verizon Galaxy Nexus. I certainly don't see a Nexus device being released on Verizon until voLTE becomes much more mainstream and Verizon eases up on it's "testing" and "software testing" policies that essentially only hurt the consumer, rather than helping.

Last edited:

Preach2k

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hometown Brooklyn, NY Now Fuquay Varina, NC
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel XL/Galaxy Note 8
Twitter
DroidNCState
My former phone was a Galaxy Nexus. Before I got my GNote 3. I had problems with my Gnex when I took it to Verizon to get it fix they told me that they did not service it anymore. I went to the friend that work there and that is when he told me about Verizon not getting another Nexus Device, and so far from what I seen and read they will not get the Nexus 5. He told me that Verizon does not want to support anymore Nexus devices. I look at this way I knew this guy before he was employed by Verizon. I got my Gnote3 with him. He has no reason to lie to me because I am not interested in anymore Nexus devices especially with Verizon. So you can always hope.

Last edited:

squeak

Reaction score
I understand that the og droid and xoom weren't nexus devices, but they were "Google experience" devices that came with unlockable bootloaders. I have no proof of this, it's just a hunch of mine, but Verizon has yet to let a whole number update of android pass without getting some sort of exclusive deal for the launch device in the USA. And you're correct about the hspa galaxy nexus being available before the Verizon version, but the only way to get it in the us was to import it. Google and Samsung didn't sell them in the us until verizon's period of exclusivity was over.

Preach2k

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Twitter
DroidNCState
I understand that the og droid and xoom weren't nexus devices, but they were "Google experience" devices that came with unlockable bootloaders. I have no proof of this, it's just a hunch of mine, but Verizon has yet to let a whole number update of android pass without getting some sort of exclusive deal for the launch device in the USA. And you're correct about the hspa galaxy nexus being available before the Verizon version, but the only way to get it in the us was to import it. Google and Samsung didn't sell them in the us until verizon's period of exclusivity was over.

The only way I see Verizon getting another Nexus is if they can have there hand in it having Bloatware and that will make it not a Nexus device. Google will not go for having Verizon adding Bloatware to a New Nexus device. That is why AT&T will get it they are not so hands on like Verizon.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
My former phone was a Galaxy Nexus. Before I got my GNote 3. I had problems with my Gnex when I took it to Verizon to get it fix they told me that they did not service it anymore. I went to the friend that work there and that is when he told me about Verizon not getting another Nexus Device, and so far from what I seen and read they will not get the Nexus 5. He told me that Verizon does not want to support anymore Nexus devices. I look at this way IO new this guy before he was employed by Verizon. I got my Gnote3 with him. He has no reason to lie to me because I am not interested in anymore Nexus devices especially with Verizon. So you can always hope.

If verizon gets a nexus to work on their network it would have to be that devs or people figured out how to back door their way in by putting a verizon sim card in and it working. Other than that I do not see verizon getting a nexus device in the future. Verizon is too dictating and Google is not going to have it. The Verizon nexus project was a relationship from hell. Google wanted to use the nexus to release new software to the market while verizon wanted to dictate what software could be on it. That relationship was a horrible one and users suffered as the galaxy nexus did not the nexus experience treatment. In fact if it was not for development the current nexus would still be on 4.1. Verizon have no desire to keep up with google updates and google have no desire to allow a carrier to dictate their device. Buy selling the device on the market the user takes the risk of finding a carrier that will support it vs before. So you are right Preach verizon will not be supporting the nexus. Again that do not mean a nexus will not work on their network in the future.

Last edited:

WestOkid

Reaction score
Totally agree with @pc747. The most unbalanced part of all this is that Apple never lets Verizon or any carrier disrupt their vision for customer experience. Verizon tolerates it (kicking and screaming) because customers will leave Verizon for an iPhone. iPhones get direct updates from Apple, they don't have carrier branding on the front of their devices and they have minimal bloat. Our only hope is the unlikely chance that Nexus devices become hugely popular and Verizon has no choice but to accommodate Google.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
If Google threatened to pull their entire lineup Verizon would listen. Apple used that same gun to their head, all or nothing, to get what they wanted.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
Beast Mode (Notetoo)

squeak

Reaction score
Google can't do that. The manufacturers of the phones could. Motorola is the only device manufacturer that Google is in control of and they currently have a contract with Verizon for the droid lineup of phones.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Google can't do that. The manufacturers of the phones could. Motorola is the only device manufacturer that Google is in control of and they currently have a contract with Verizon for the droid lineup of phones.

All the advertising dollars and promoting the Droid lineup. You don't think they'd listen?

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
I'm an "s pen aholic" Noteate

Preach2k

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Twitter
DroidNCState
All the advertising dollars and promoting the Droid lineup. You don't think they'd listen?

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
I'm an "s pen aholic" Noteate

Remember there was no commercial from Verizon at all for The Gnex, all there was was the store model. My local store only sold 3 on day one. Me being one of them and I bought mine in the evening and I was coming from a BlackBerry Storm along with the person right behind me. That phone was horrible(Storm)! The guy after me watch the forums just like me. That why we purchased it. Verizon will never push a Google phone without their bloatware.

Last edited: