More Details Shared on our Future Wireless Internet: LTE-Advanced

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
People are choosing convenience over quality. I went to online-only with Netflix when they announced they were increasing the prices a while back. And Netflix has had pretty decent HD quality and DD 5.1 on some stuff for a while now.

I tell myself to use Redbox more often too.. (especially with this blu-ray burner I have... wink)

Yeah, my problem with Netflix is I'd have to relocate my router to get the bandwidth for HD. But the reason I never stick with Netflix is they don't stream hardly any movies I want to watch. Their new PS3 interface is awful, as well.

Asharad

Reaction score
Is there some overarching reasoning as to why wireless data transmission speeds need to be that high? I'm all about tech advances and such, but I cannot think of a scenario in which a consumer would need anywhere near that promised speed of LTE-A. How about optimizing the current spectrum so that data rates decrease?
To maintain a competitive edge. BTW, I remember when 28.8kbps was blazing fast.

combatmedic870

Reaction score
I remember upgrading to go to 28.8 from 14.4!! Those were the days. :D

When the internet first came about i remember going to the U of I and messing with it. which was even slower the 14.4!

VirtualCLD

Reaction score
Kids these day, i remember when I got my super fast 2400 (2.4K) modem. I could finally send and receive data faster than I could type and play Warcraft 1 multiplayer (but still not fast enough for early FPS games)! :biggrin:

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Haha....I remember when I got DSL and was loving some Napster because I could d/l an mp3 in like 3-4 minutes.

acousticshade

Reaction score
Haha, I've got you all beat. I remember my first 300 baud modem in the early 80's when all you could do was visit a BBS to chat and play simple games. That was the precursor to the Internet. I also had a friend in college that had a 9600 Baud HP modem when the highest consumer product you could purchase was a 2400. His dad worked for HP and was doing testing for military grade products, so that was pretty cool.

The cell companies will continue to push the envelope and consumers will continue to upgrade, it's just natural and it's great that we are starting to get competition. Hopefully someday the speeds will be on part with cable speeds which will hopefully keep prices low.

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
i remember my first pc in 91 with 2400bps modem. bbs were the bomb back then, and there were no phone calls from our house when i was home lol. :biggrin:

Phreaker47

Reaction score
Kids these day, i remember when I got my super fast 2400 (2.4K) modem. I could finally send and receive data faster than I could type and play Warcraft 1 multiplayer (but still not fast enough for early FPS games)! :biggrin:

Haha, I've got you all beat. I remember my first 300 baud modem in the early 80's when all you could do was visit a BBS to chat and play simple games. That was the precursor to the Internet. I also had a friend in college that had a 9600 Baud HP modem when the highest consumer product you could purchase was a 2400. His dad worked for HP and was doing testing for military grade products, so that was pretty cool.

The cell companies will continue to push the envelope and consumers will continue to upgrade, it's just natural and it's great that we are starting to get competition. Hopefully someday the speeds will be on part with cable speeds which will hopefully keep prices low.

Yeah I'm right there. People were using Applecat modems on their Apple ][s that were 300 baud, but there were programs (Catsend, Cat-Fur) that could use some trick to split the duplex modes (I believe) to get 1200 baud speeds.

Me, I got a Hayes Smartmodem 1200 external modem. Cost me $400. Saved up all one summer to get it. True 1200 baud, woohoo. Of course, downloading a game on an Apple ][ was usually not more than around 150K or so.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Haha...remember text-based games?

Now that I think about it, they made a joke about that on Big Bang Theory. Except I think they are supposedly 30(?), which would have meant the text-based games were a little before their time. Of course, their geniuses so I suppose they could have been playing at 5 years old.

Big Ry

Reaction score
Government and Military purposes. They get gov't kick backs for putting this stuff up. Verizon promises lte/4g by blah blah blah and the gov't says thank you.

Same reason highway over passes are still being built to a specific height. :)

BTW Im not a conspiracy theorist or anything. Just how it is. Home land security wants the infrastructure in place.

Highway overpasses are built to a specific height for vehicle clearance (e.g., tractor trailers). Virtually everything about the design of a bridge is dictated by trucks...not government kickbacks.

Sincerely,
Your local bridge engineer

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

lloydstrans

Banned
Reaction score
Highway overpasses are built to a specific height for vehicle clearance (I.e., tractor trailers). Virtually everything about the design of a bridge is dictated by trucks...not government kickbacks.

Sincerely,
Your local bridge engineer

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Same reason why utilities have a minimum height.

Asharad

Reaction score
Haha, I've got you all beat. I remember my first 300 baud modem in the early 80's when all you could do was visit a BBS to chat and play simple games. That was the precursor to the Internet.
Got my computer in 1982. You?