1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Monitor your CPU and Memory Usage

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by flameboy, Feb 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. flameboy

flameboy New Member

I already posted this in the Apps section of the forum, but I'm pretty sure there are people here who would love this app.

It's called SeePU - A realtime CPU & Memory monitor that runs in your notification bar. Especially for us overclockers, I think this thing is really useful!

Occasionally I have caught my CPU at 100% usage and opened up Process Explorer to find the Gallery app taking a ****ton of cpu for no apparent reason. A quick kill clears it right up.

It's also great to see how your memory usage fluctuates. Anyway, I just think this thing is really cool and nobody else seems to have it so I wanted to spread the word.
  2. xabeon

xabeon New Member

Great find man, it works great through where do you get process explorer? I would love to see a breakdown of CPU usage by app, searched in the market for it to no avail.
  3. KZIWarrior

KZIWarrior Active Member

eh... I thought it was a cool idea when I first saw it the other day but after using a bit I find it just uses more resources than it's worth... The memory feature is cool but then it just makes you OCD for no reason about how much memory you have. My $.02
  4. flameboy

flameboy New Member

It's part of Astro. You can enable it in settings.

Really? What was your update interval?
  5. LrdElderon

LrdElderon New Member

I always asked the realtime cpu speed question to the setcpu dev and he says what most others say. polling the cpu fast enough to get real time speed just isn't feasible. it waste resources and the act of polling the cpu will throttle it up.

I find the best way to see if your throttling is working is to hook to a computer and do adb shell and then cat /proc/cpuinfo and see what it's at. only way to really get acurate readings i think.
  6. flameboy

flameboy New Member

First of all, we aren't talking about CPU speed we are talking about CPU utilization. They are quite different.

I found that with a 1 second poll interval, the meter would cause CPU usage to increase very slightly every now and again. But at 2 seconds the effect on battery and CPU is totally undetectable.

Give it a shot and see what you think. I noticed a very slight increase in power consumption after installing Temperature Monitor and SeePU but still think it's totally worth it to have that realtime information there. The battery still lasts me the whole day.

How many times have you used a PC to find some random process taking 100% cpu? The same thing happens with Android (in my experience) and being able to take care of it right away is not only satisfying, but may help SAVE power.
  7. Backnblack

Backnblack Premium Member Premium Member

Please don't Cross-Post.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
adb shell cpu monitor
android cpu and memory usage

android cpu meter

android cpu monitor
android memory usage meter bar

android resource monitor