Monitor Temp of Overclocked Droid.

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by olletsocmit, Feb 6, 2010.

DroidForums.net is the premier Android Forum - Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
  1. olletsocmit

olletsocmit Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have my droid clocked at 800mhz and using the BB rom. Loving it so far!

I use SetCPU to both overclock my phone and also monitor the battery temp. you open SetCPU, then hit system info. Battery temp is the first thing.

Then i use temp monitor. it puts the cpu temp in the top left taskbar. works pretty well. it seems to be almost the same as the battery temp all the time. does this app really measure cpu temp?
  2. Bear in NM

Bear in NM Active Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Ollet,

I have been round and round with this question in many of the overclock threads. No one has convinced me there is more than one temp sensor on the phone. Perhaps there is an additional sensor in the acclerometer. what one member here told me is the temp app responds quicker to changes in temp. Supposedly quicker than the battery temp info.

As all of the "stuff" is in the case, including the battery, what I have kinda decided is that rather than try and nail down whether one is better, the app, setcpu or the voice dialer temp, pick one, use it. I can almost guarantee that the cpu does not have a dedicated sensor. Therefore chasing back and forth try to get the official correct one is gonna be like using ap killer programs. A lot of wasted anality:)

Craig
  3. AdamZ

AdamZ Premium Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Okay... I hope I can clear this up a little at least...

There is only ONE temperature sensor in the phone... (Unless there is one that no one knows about and no one can access...) The sensor is located near the battery and the processor is located near the "with Google" logo... so they are kind of close - but not close enough. Don't get me wrong... it's the only way we have to monitor it, so I use it as well... but your processor is definitely running at a different temperature than is listed. Even SetCPU will show it says "Battery Temp"... if there was another sensor, I'm sure he would have used it instead...
    (I know I wish there was... :icon_ banana: )
  4. LrdElderon

LrdElderon Member

Ratings:
    +0
    <3 Oh yeah finally someone that devs that agrees with me. I had people argue with me that there was only 1 temp sensor and it was mainly for the battery. They kept trying to say different.

There are only two issues for .. well three.

-one is how hot does the proc really get? we need someone that is knowledgeable enough to dismantle the phone and have it run under various loads with a temp sensor probe placed on the cpu itself. It's the only real way to see the change. Someone also mentioned that while cpu heat overall is fine, power segments or whatever they are called could in fact be getting too hot (like 1 core of a quad core burning up but overall the cpu temp avg is normal)...

-two How hot can the battery actually handle and what effects can we expect if we are constantly reaching or exceeding the max rec temp (45c).?

-three is kind of a personal matter I guess. Perhaps a list of various cases that work well for overclocked phones. I use the bodyglove, freaking tank of a case. VERY thick and sturdy however it keeps heat trapped like crazy and I see temps hit 40-45+c pretty easy just web browsing....

edit: doesn't it seem strange to anyone else that we have a modern cpu with no way to show it's temperature? that's been in desktop chips for a long time now... I hope any new versions of cpu that is used in a new moto droid replacement for say 4g (oh please) will have a this mistake remedied.
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2010
  5. R1Lover

R1Lover Senior Member

Ratings:
    +0
    The processor is rated at -40 through 100 degree's Celsius, so I don't see an issue at all on mine, it get's no where near that.
  6. KZIWarrior

KZIWarrior Silver Member

Ratings:
    +2
    There ARE multiple temp sensors in the phone the battery temp is just the 'easiest' to get as it's has it's own report to the system and can be retrieved w/o major programing. In addition there are and least two other confirmed sensors on the actual board that provide better estimates of the CPU temp because they are temperatures from other board components.
    AllDroid - View topic - [Release] Temp Monitor (Updated 02/02/10)
  7. olletsocmit

olletsocmit Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys. I just looked at my battery temp in both SetCPU and a battery widget, which tells the battery temp. They both said 26. But when i looked at the app TempMonitor (the one the puts the temp in the taskbar, costs 2 bucks) it says 23. so im not sure if TempMonitor is off or the other 2 are.
  8. leftbrain99

leftbrain99 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I think the answer to your question lies in the info at the link just above your post.
  9. KZIWarrior

KZIWarrior Silver Member

Ratings:
    +2
    TempMonitor is a more accurate representation of the "CPU" temp because it is taking the temperature from components on the board (i.e. closer to the CPU) and not from the battery sensor.
  10. wuyanks

wuyanks DF News Team Premium Member

Ratings:
    +0
    the Temperature Monitor was written optimally for Taz's new overclock kernels, and it provides temperature from another sensor (presumably on on the board, near the cpu). as such, the temp readings are usually around 2C higher than the battery at any given moment. i highly recommend Taz's new overclock kernels (1.3 was not stable for me though) and i also recommend the Temp monitor (located on the Market for $1.99). awesome reporting in the notification bar!!
  11. CatsTide

CatsTide Member

Ratings:
    +0
    and we sure don't want to waste that, do we?
  12. JhankG

JhankG Silver Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I use the Seidio Innocase, which is pretty thin and much thinner than the BodyGlove case, and I am getting those same temperatures when using the browser. When playing the free game "Jewels", I can get up to 52 Celsius pretty consistently. Seems strange for such a simple game with simple graphics. I can play 3D games, such as Homerun Battle 3D, and the temperature isn't getting near as hot as the Jewels game causes.
  13. R1Lover

R1Lover Senior Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Many other developers have mentioned there is only one temp sensor on the driod.... not sure who is correct here.
  14. 52brandon

52brandon Active Member

Ratings:
    +19
    The trouble with your idea in point one is that if you take it apart, you would at best have the case specs altered and the reading wouldn't exactly be accurate to a normal droid
  15. wuyanks

wuyanks DF News Team Premium Member

Ratings:
    +0
    i would talk to dustinmj over at alldroid.org... i find it hard to believe that he fabricated his program to fake another reading, but anything's possible
Search tags for this page

android heat sensor