1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Modifying update.zip files, pete's getting a bit personal

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by mootsucks, Mar 13, 2010.

1. mootsucks

mootsucks New Member

I don't want to complain or anything, but the updates for Pete's BB are getting a bit rediculous and the 1 or 2 things that should be fixed seemed to be (at least in my mind) crapped up with other stuff. I allready have a kernel, a colored modified wallpaper (but its blue), and a wifi teather app.

I see that there is an option to keep your old kernel, but is there anyway to just have an update fix the essentials? I don't think a lot of people will re-install wifi teather, kernel, wallpaper for a fixed image.
  2. JonKyu

JonKyu Beta Team

Just make your own modified update.zip with all the essential and get rid of the extraneous stuff. That's what I did lol :icon_ banana:
  3. MJ5150

MJ5150 New Member

With your help, so did I. :D

-Mike
  4. JonKyu

JonKyu Beta Team

Haha lol ;) did you manage to get "perfect" lol?
  5. MJ5150

MJ5150 New Member

I sure did. Every icon/image is the right color, right size, and the one I wanted.

What I want to do next is find a new set of icons/images for when you tap on the "menu" button. I am using the blue 3D ones from the Nexus right now.

-Mike
  6. stlcity

stlcity New Member

Mike where did you get the 3 d icons for menu buttons?
  7. mjones1052

mjones1052 New Member

I got em too, and they're beautifulllll

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  8. MJ5150

MJ5150 New Member

They came from Flavored Ice: [Theme] Flavored Ice MetaMorph 2 Flavors. The guy who put them together is great.

I found Lemon to be eye burning bright, and Licorice to be eerily dark, so I made a combination of the two. I call it Lemorice. Then I swapped out several of the themed icons for Steeler and Penguin icons.

I am talking about the icons that come up when you press the menu button on the bottom of the Droid screen. Not the icons when you open applications, and not the ones when you click menu, then settings. The actual five icons that come up when you press the three bar menu button.

-Mike
  9. mzimand

mzimand New Member

Where did you get that launcher drawer tab, I like it and want one. Can you post the launcher file that has it in it? I am refering to the tab that opens the app drawer
  10. Matth3w

Matth3w Guest

1. I'm curious how you got the four icons at the very bottom of the screen where the launcher was....and is that stable?

2. Can you post your background?

3. Can you post the theme you used to change all the icons? And does that theme affect the GMail icon?
  11. cupfulloflol

cupfulloflol New Member

[APP] HelixLauncher: ON MARKET! UPDATED [140310] - xda-developers <-- In the market now as well. Yes it is stable, been running it for a while now and no big problems. It doesn't play nice with bettercut, but that is fixed apparently in the market version (and his donate version).

*Edit* http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...r-works-ese53-4-apps-bottom-up-7-screens.html <-- thread here about the launcher as well. Some themes in there for the launcher as well.

I can't answer the other questions though hehe.
  12. Matth3w

Matth3w Guest

So you have the launcher and the four buttons working using the HelixLauncher no problem? I think people were complaining in my icon thread that it doesn't work with bettercut AT ALL. can anyone confirm this?
  13. cupfulloflol

cupfulloflol New Member

If you download the market version apparently that fixes the bettercut problems. I don't use bettercut anymore, because I now just theme my icons through their apks. A bit more work in the end, but I don't have icon packs all over my gallery and app drawer. As far as I know though Bettercut works on the desktop, but not down on the launcher dock. He may have fixed that even by now in the donate version, not really sure, I haven't kept up with the official thread on it. The dev is really responsive from what I saw in that thread.

I normally would install an app, but it requires to uninstall the current launcher, meaning I would have to setup my 5 pages again. Not that big of a deal, as a couple of my pages are rather barebones, but I am feeling lazy today.

My gripes aren't major with it but so far these are them.
    - It sometimes seems to stutter/lag in the scrolling through the apps, not really sure if that is the launcher's fault or what. I wasn't really doing anything at the time.

- My theming of it isn't going as planned. I planned on making it look like the smoked glass launcher 2 with the phone/browser buttons But it isn't working out because the icons get shrunk when they go down by the launcher, which then makes everything look off. I am gonna mess with it, maybe shrink the launcher? But once again the lazy thing today.

- The background of the app drawer is black, and not semi-transparent. I kinda liked being able to see the background for no real reason. This is themeable in other launchers, this one I didn't see it. But I kinda threw together a theme for it really quick yesterday.

- When you drag the drawer up, there is no handle, it goes all the way up to the notification bar, giving you an extra row of visible icons. This also means you can't drag the handle back down to close the drawer. You have to hit the back button to stay on the screen you were on, or home to go to your home screen. No big deal, but I have found myself searching for the handle for a second before hitting the back button.

- If you hit the menu button on the home screen, the notification and search options are gone. I never used the search option on the menu, so good riddance to it, but I did hit the notification option sometimes. Obviously you can still drag down on the notification bar to get to them. So no big deal here either.

*Edit* This is what she looks like on my current setup. http://www.droidforums.net/forum/at...apps-bottom-up-7-screens-cap2010031308411.jpg <-- link to the picture rather than wasting more space in this thread derailing, haha. I only use 2 icons right now, because I haven't really decided all of what deserves to be down there that I need instant access to. I did have 4 at first though.

I am sorry about derailing the thread...hehe I didn't mean to go on a tangent about how wonderful the Helix Launcher is. Back to how Pete's updates, which I am not going to pretend to know much about as I haven't touched one of the BB ROMs in a while.
Search tags for this page

updatezip.net