Modifying Car Dock to Allow Video

techguru

Reaction score
There is a new app similar to bemyblackbox on the market Daily Roads Voyager unfortunately, like Bemyblackbox it doesn't seem to work on the Droid. Just records black for the video, although it does record sound, and unlike Bemyblackbox, it claims to be able to record in the background so you can use Navigation at the same time. I contacted the developer to see if I can help troubleshoot the Droid issue.

It will also do intermittent still shots, but I haven't tried that yet.

Alan

JFM-jr

Reaction score
You are killing me man. You don't put music on top of the rumble man, never! the flat 4... that IS the music.

Inline 4, maybe... I don't think they make flat fours. Not much point.
Inline six's are so very nice, though.

LOL. Fail. You have much to learn bud.

LOL bigtime fail there. Horizontally opposed turbocharged boxer engine with the beauty of AWD. I have an 05 Legacy GT that I have owned since brand new. Absolutley the best car I have owned to date LOVE it. The Camaro is the summertime weekend warrior.

techguru

Reaction score
There is a new app similar to bemyblackbox on the market Daily Roads Voyager unfortunately, like Bemyblackbox it doesn't seem to work on the Droid. Just records black for the video, although it does record sound, and unlike Bemyblackbox, it claims to be able to record in the background so you can use Navigation at the same time. I contacted the developer to see if I can help troubleshoot the Droid issue.

Alan

I have been corresponding with the developer of Daily roads Voyager all morning doing some debugging, and he thinks he may have a solution already. Should know in an hour or so. When he gets it working, I'll post here.

Alan

techguru

Reaction score

Alan

Now works with the Droid. The developer added the ability to select the Codec. h.264 and Mpeg4 work. H.263 doesn't.

Playback within the app currently only works with H.263, but I imagine he'll update that soon, but you can play the videos back with the Droid's own player, or with your PC.

Until he gets it uploaded to the market, you'll need to download the updated version here: DailyRoads Voyager

Note: every time you leave or return to the preview screen, it restarts another temp video, so you should set it to "rescue" the last three videos, and if you see something you need to capture, and you have been in another app, you should hit the video button to rescue the last three as soon as you return to the app. (since it restarts when changing states, the videos may not be the full length you set, which is why you want to rescue several. this will make sense when you read how the program works on the web site).

Alan

MJ5150

Reaction score
I took my drill to the mount. After punching a center hole, I then set it on a piece of wood to help make the hole cleaner. Worked like a charm. It looks like it came from VZW this way.

Maybe someone should mass produce them and call it the "Video Capable Car Mount"??? :D

-Mike

DailyRoads

Reaction score

Alan

Now works with the Droid. The developer added the ability to select the Codec. h.264 and Mpeg4 work. H.263 doesn't.

Playback within the app currently only works with H.263, but I imagine he'll update that soon, but you can play the videos back with the Droid's own player, or with your PC.

Until he gets it uploaded to the market, you'll need to download the updated version here: DailyRoads Voyager

Note: every time you leave or return to the preview screen, it restarts another temp video, so you should set it to "rescue" the last three videos, and if you see something you need to capture, and you have been in another app, you should hit the video button to rescue the last three as soon as you return to the app. (since it restarts when changing states, the videos may not be the full length you set, which is why you want to rescue several. this will make sense when you read how the program works on the web site).

Alan
I could only identify the problem because Alan was kind enough to warn me about this, and then test some of the solutions I provided. Thanks again Alan!

It is hard to test without a phone next to me, but will see what I can do about the video playback issue. Exciting new year ahead of me...

Happy New Year!
Robert

techguru

Reaction score
I have since found that there are still some issue capturing in background, but it is working great in the foreground. This app is really cool.

Alan

gardobus

Silver Member
Reaction score
I need to do this mod. I probably won't use it often but it would be cool to have the option to record while driving. I was thinking of trimming the mount around the power/unlock button also, its always a pain for me to hit it while its in the cradle.

OP

Silver Member
Reaction score
sample video. need to address vibrations. GPS is loud clear, lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYBgr6YpONE

Great idea on making that hole so you can use the camera on your droid.
What is that song in the background of your video?
i don't know. some random song i picked on youtube to cover up where i live. ;)

took two new vids today. they're about 45mb in video, so i can't upload them until i get home. first (real) snowfall of the season and was able to get a couple spins in.

OP

Silver Member
Reaction score
here are my two, not very exciting, very short, videos (i was trying not to get in trouble)...

[video=youtube;bHPsmYow_kw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHPsmYow_kw[/video]

[video=youtube;XM5WKxICDOk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XM5WKxICDOk[/video]