1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Modified Calendar Widget background - Now Wrong size! Help!?!?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by Boostjunky, Jul 26, 2010.

1. Boostjunky

Boostjunky New Member

OK, so I tried changing the background color of my Calendar widget because the Theme I am using (Nextheme on CM6-RC2) has black text on a transparent black background. Kind of hard to read.

So what I did was copy the CalenderProvider.apk from the system/apps folder to my SD card, then from the SD card to my PC.

On my PC, I extraced the files, and opened the res\drawable-hdpi\appwidget_bg.9.png file (which is the background for the widget) using Paint.NET.

From there, I altered the background color (in Paint.NET, of course), saved the changes back to the extracted files from the original .apk, then replaced the original appwidget_bg.9.png file with the modified file within the archive of the original .apk (all of which I did on my PC).

From there I copied the new modified CalenderProvider.apk from my PC to my SD card, then using Root Explorer, pushed it to the system\apps folder to replace the original.

After that, I changed the permissions, and used terminal emulator to re-sync, then rebooted.

Upon rebooting and applying the widget to my homescreen, the background is the color I modified it to, but it is smaller, and the text runs outside of the borders of the new/modified background.

What am I missing here, guys? I tried increasing the size of the .png background within Paint.NET, but it made no difference whatsoever.

Pics:

Here's the size and color it used to be
    [​IMG]

Here's what it looks like after modifying the png file
    [​IMG]

Any ideas?

TIA!!!
  2. icculusX

icculusX Premium Member Theme Developer Premium Member

FYI: It is important as a themer to know that any PNG image with a .9. in it is called a 9-patch file. The framework and other system APK files contain a LOT of 9-patch files. These are not normal image graphics. You have to re-edit the 9 patch file, then draw the patching with the SDK tool program, then you need to compile the patched image. If you simply just edit it then you will have issues like this, strange stretching and stuff...

There are tools out there for decompiling and compiling the APK 9-patch files also.
  3. Boostjunky

Boostjunky New Member

Ugh! I am SOOO new to all this!

I just barely learned how to Root my phone and run custom ROMs. I knew I was getting myself into a bigger mess than it seemed to be, just didn't know how big.

I appreciate the info. Looks like I have a lot more research to be doing!

On a side note, how difficult would it be to change the text color, rather than mess with the widget background? Is there an XML file I need to be looking at for this?

Thanks again!
  4. Boostjunky

Boostjunky New Member

Bump! Anyone know an answer? What file do I need to modify to change the text color of the Calendar widget?

If there's a database that will guide me to find the right files that need to be modified for any given application/widget selection, could someone let me know about it?

Thanks!
  5. DF Smod

DF Smod New Member

res/layout/agenda_appwidget.xml and res/layout-land/agenda_appwidget.xml
  6. Boostjunky

Boostjunky New Member

Thank you kindly, sir!
Search tags for this page

android change calendar widget colour

change background of calendar widget

how change colors on bionic calendar widget

how do you change the calendar background on an android