Modernizing the Pocket Watch

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
When you think pocket watch you think antique, classy, but with smart watches on the scene why not try and put a new spin on the pocket watch. Though the watch is running Firefox OS, I think it looks intriguing. Be interesting to see if a company decide to make an android version of the pocket watch.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I like that idea. You could put a bigger screen and bigger battery without it affecting the aesthetics too much since a pocket watch was already traditionally larger than a regular watch and many already carry their phones in their pockets BUT it would NEED standalone capability or it'd just be pulling a smaller phone out of the pocket, no reason to carry both just to check notifications or speak a message. A 2"+ screen would be feasible and make it much more useful to the elder crowd that actually remembers pocket watches.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
LOL, hipster device. Also totally agree with Mountainbikermark, whats the difference of just using your phone?

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
It would be cool to have on the coffee table, but it is too large to tote around all day. Make a smaller version that clips to your belt loop and I would consider it. Did y'all hear the price? "Just under the price of an unlocked phone like the iPhone." Ouch.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I didn't look at the video because it'll never take off. I'm reading a book, "the 11th commandment" where in the distant future they use a device called an "omnipalm" that is a combination phone (as phones go in the future, more like ptt) a pda, a secure communication for business, regular for personal calls that is tied into a micro chip inside the eyelid for visual display of the web, email (as email hours in the future) , etc. Now that is even better than the earpiece Will Smith wore in I Robot that was basically a Bluetooth earpiece but tethered to the web instead of a phone.
What that pocket watch will be used for is what will keep it from taking off imo. It's time to move forward from the smartphone to the next level.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
It would be cool to have on the coffee table, but it is too large to tote around all day. Make a smaller version that clips to your belt loop and I would consider it. Did y'all hear the price? "Just under the price of an unlocked phone like the iPhone." Ouch.

For that one yes but I was more interested in the concept than that particular product. The product in the op runs on Firefox OS. But Ollie you are right in if they drop the size a bit, drop the price, add a way to clip it to a belt,(and I'll add) use more premium material and design it to look even more like the classic pocket watch and they may have a niche market.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
I like the concept as well. It looks pretty cool. It needs a down sizing though.