[MOD][Release] Thunderbolt Boot Animation

jakeklomps

Reaction score
Alright.. So I've been working on boot animations and sounds for awhile now.

I haven't gotten sound quite figured out just yet, but as far as creating and editing actual animations, I've got it basically spot on.

My main quest was to bring us the Tbolt's boot animation. When I got ahold of the original file and moved it into my phone, it was really choppy. I figured out how to change the frame rate and finally have tested a good version stable enough to release.

Tbolt Boot Animation @ 25fps - bootanimation.zip

For those of you who don't know where or how to change this:

You will need root

1. Download Root Explorer, or any app that can explore your entire phone's storage system.

2. Download my Tbolt Boot Animation, and copy it somwhere on your sd card.

3. Open the 'System' folder, and then the 'Media' folder.

4. Find the file labled 'bootanimation.zip' and long press it. Copy it and navigate back to the Root folder, click on 'sdcard' and paste it somewhere you can find it again; Essentially creating a back up of your current Boot animation. DO NOT paste it in the same place as the Tbolt file. Having two files with the same name will lead to confusion and possible overwriting of your back up.

5. Go to your SD card and find the Tbolt boot animation file, and long press and copy it.

6. Paste it in System>Media and make sure it is labled bootanimation.zip Note: It will ask you if you wish to overwrite... This is fine if you followed directions to back up your current Boot Animation.

7. Reboot your phone, and there it is...

Every once and awhile at the end of the first animation, it might play one frame again, but then your phone goes to the home screen. It happens to me maybe 1 in 6 times of rebooting. I haven't worked that part out yet.

For those of you who wish to edit or attempt to change the framerate and such, this is only do-able on your computer at the moment. Pull the file up and unzip it to wherever, and you will have three files. Part0, Part1, and desc.txt

DO NOT
edit desc.txt with notepad. It seems to mess with the file behind the scenes somehow. Download the program called Notepad ++ if you don't already have it. Edit with that and you can change and save whatever you like.

The other main thing about changing images/scripts is when you zip it back up. Through trial and error I found out that our phone only needs the file association of .zip You don't actually need to zip the file with compression. So, when you go to create your newly edited bootanimation.zip, choose no compression. The easiest way is to use 7zip, highlight Part0, Part1, and desc.txt, right click and choose add to archive. Change the compression level to Store, click OK, and you're all zipped up and good to go.

Frame rate has been tested from 12 to 32. 25fps is what I've found the most stable. Higher values guarantee another second or so of repeated animation.

I tried to cover any questions that could come up, so if I missed anything, just ask. And sorry if I blabbed too much, this is my first Release/How To.

Jerome900

Reaction score
Is there sound? How do u put sounds in it

Sent from my SCH-I500 using DroidForums

OP
jakeklomps

jakeklomps

Reaction score
I haven't figured out sound yet. Thats what I'm currently working on. Soon to come though hopefully. But I'll tell ya, the sound that actually came with it is pretty lame. There isn't any lightning sounds or anything. Just a lame tune.

ziggy484

Reaction score
what else do you have from the tb?

sent from a Superclean, Honeycomb, Voodoo Fascinate

OP
jakeklomps

jakeklomps

Reaction score
What are you wanting?

Sent from my Overly Fascinating Samsung Fascinate @ 1.3ghz on SC 2.9.2 EC10 custom w/ Voodoo

ziggy484

Reaction score
What are you wanting?

Sent from my Overly Fascinating Samsung Fascinate @ 1.3ghz on SC 2.9.2 EC10 custom w/ Voodoo

Idk... anything cool that could work on the fascinate, wallpapers, keyboards, icons

sent from a Superclean, Honeycomb, Voodoo Fascinate

OP
jakeklomps

jakeklomps

Reaction score
Well the wallpapers arent really anything special, and IMO the keyboard isn't even worth stealing. Its not swype like ours is, and Ive seen that alot of people have grown attached to it as have I.. But if someone really needs it, I could probably get ahold of it..

cpark_12

Reaction score
Sound doesn't work with any of the froyo kernels yet...if it did, it would be located in system>etc. It has to be a .wav file and named PowerOn.wav

Sent from my Froyo'd Fascinate via Tapatalk