Mobile Security / Antivirus

Discussion in 'ChevyNo1' started by yakitori, Sep 25, 2010.

1. yakitori

yakitori Premium Member
    Theme Developer Premium Member

Ratings:
    +10
    Which antivirus / mobile security do you use? I personally have been using Lookout Mobile Security. I have never had a problem with any of my apps, or system processes using it.

Just curious what other ones are out there.

Lookout is always running in my settings/apps/running services. I would imagine that any antivirus that is actively monitoring your system would have running services...but is there one out there that sits idle until it is called upon to do its job? Save a little battery juice?

2. jerroedr

jerroedr Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    its a pointless app. you dont need antivirus with android. while it helps a pc oriented person feel better theres nothing to it.

and the backups suck

but if you check on the forums its generally agreed that antivirus just like taskmanagers do no good

3. aldrichg9

aldrichg9 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Antivirus software is a waste of money and a drain on the PC - And you have it on your phone too?

4. yakitori

yakitori Premium Member
    Theme Developer Premium Member

Ratings:
    +10
    Well...HOW DARE ME! I cant believe I am such a moron as to even fathom such an idea as to download an antivirus app.

And to top it all off, Im dim-witted enough to post a thread about it.

Someone just kill me now...there is no point to my existence. Im a skidmark on the underwear of society.

:icon_censored:

download sarcasmdetector.apk right now.

#4 yakitori, Sep 25, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2010
  5. christim

christim Super Moderator
    Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +2
    Antivirus software is a must have for the computer. Unless you are using Live Cd's or a VM and just fire up the old image each day. I definitely use antivirus software on my computer as well as a firewall.

On the other hand, I use nothing on my phone and am not worried about the lack of anti-virus software. It is far more likely some app I install will gain access to my information and send it off somewhere and installing anti-virus software would not prevent that with a new app that was released.

background if it helps: I work in the IT field with web related technologies, configuring both hardware and software environments, and have been working on networking computers and interacting with the web since 1993.

6. aldrichg9

aldrichg9 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I didn't mean to sound so harsh - No Offense intended.

On the other hand, from your IT administrator point of view, Anti-virus software may be completely necessary to protect your systems from the average user who clicks on malicious crap from unknown senders blah blah blah....

My point was more that if people would resist the temptation to click on/download images/links/whatever that are obviously crap then there would be less need for anti-virus software.

I apologize for posting messages that are anti anti-virus, but the subject ticks me off because I can't stand to sit down at a PC that is running McAfee, Norton, or whatever the flavor of the week is and it is so bogged down by services running in the background that computers are slower than they need to be.

In case you are curious of my background... I am simply a home hobbyist and I build my own computers for the fun of it. I have never used any antivirus software but I am extremely cautious about malicious emails and such and therefore have never had any virus trouble.

yak,
    Sorry I hijacked your thread so badly, I do believe you are entitled to your opinion and the next time I feel the need to run my mouth in someone else's thread I will try not to.

7. BUFFALOMADMAN

Ratings:
    +0
    I like lookout for the reason that If I lose or someone steals my phone I can locate it via internet explorer to find it and can turn it on and all that

8. jerroedr

jerroedr Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    dont know if i was harsh but sorry if i was

9. christim

christim Super Moderator
    Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +2
    It really is hijacked now so I apologize too. I think this is important information though, and it is related to the need for virus software.

Our company's antivirus software kills us when it runs, so I agree it is a resource hog. Just the fact that some people end up giving their homes away to get a piece of some prince's bankroll when he contacted you via email for assistance means folks will always click on that which they should not.

I do recommend you at least run spybot search and destroy from time to time to make sure nothing has crept in. There are scripts out on the net that just search for vulnerabilities and if you have one your computer is infected within seconds. Not surfing on the web does severly knock down the chance of being infected.

Two free sites to run software to make sure nothing nasty is lurking on your computer:
    The home of Spybot-S&D!
    Malwarebytes

And the real question is if you have no protection, how long will your PC last for?
    20 minutes: How quickly can you get infected? - Intel by Puniksem - Qondio Great Britain

Or less:
    How much of a chance am I infected? - Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads

Computer Security: Should Firewall and Antivirus Software be Mandatory? | Sync Blog

So..given all the worries about our computers, the original poster had a very good question about our phones. (there, back on topic! ;))

10. christim

christim Super Moderator
    Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +2
    Better than that:
    Where's my Droid: Where Is My Droid v1.2 Application for Android | Software libraries

This app lets you text your phone and get the GPS coordinates of where it currently is. It also will turn the volume all the way up and ring until you locate it if you only lost it in your car or house. Of course, it still needs to be turned on, does no good if the app has been wiped, etc.
    [​IMG]

11. droidkm

droidkm Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I use where's my droid, but it is more aimed at when you've lost it close by not when you've lost it and it was stolen, though it would be useful in both situations. if it had just a couple more features it'd be perfect.

also, afaik spybot is outdated compared to malwarebytes.

Search tags for this page
spybot android
spybot android app
spybot droid

spybot for android

spybot for android phone
spybot for android phones
spybot for droid
spybot mobile android
spybot search and destroy for android
spybot search and destroy for android phones