Mobile internet and sms sending fail DG2 on Global GSM

OP
Deathangel1

Deathangel1

Reaction score
You need to be fully booted... use root explorer from market.

They are read only. Can you give me a step by step setup here. I have the files edited how do i go about replacing them?

I think its not because of kpn, because it will randomly reboot even when there's no SIM in it.
I'm very interested in a other flash method than sbf because that doesn't seem to help against the reboots.

Sent from my DROID 2 GLOBAL using DroidForums App

I went a bought a Hi mobile sim card. (KPN) worked right when I plugged it in. AFTER I restored the Verizon OS. Fission does not have good sim support. It was crashing.

Last edited:

IslesFan

Reaction score
You need to be fully booted... use root explorer from market.

They are read only. Can you give me a step by step setup here. I have the files edited how do i go about replacing them?

I think its not because of kpn, because it will randomly reboot even when there's no SIM in it.
I'm very interested in a other flash method than sbf because that doesn't seem to help against the reboots.

Sent from my DROID 2 GLOBAL using DroidForums App

I went a bought a Hi mobile sim card. (KPN) worked right when I plugged it in. AFTER I restored the Verizon OS. Fission does not have good sim support. It was crashing.

You need to remount the file system in to r/w mode, and make the changes... There are plenty of tutorials around on how to do that. Root explorer would have made it easier.

fritsbenik

Reaction score

fritsbenik What are the exact steps you took to flash ur phone. did u checksum the file?

I use RSD Lite 4.9 with all the drivers installed and the 2.4.29 SBF File md5 checkt

Let RSDLite do its magic and it alway finish with a manual reboot and bootloop(?)

Manual reboot the phone to the bootloader (power+ vol up+ vol down) to get RSDLite finish.

Boot into recovery and wipe data and case to get rid of the bootloop.

I'll be sending the phone back to motorola this weekend.

chriskan

Reaction score
I have a stock D2G with the stock SIM card and it worked fine in Amsterdam, once I got the card activated with Verizon. So, it should be possible.

Chris
Als Ik Kan

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums App

chriskan

Reaction score
Vodaphone NL was all I remember. It also worked fine in Italy. I'll be back in AMS week after next and can check more details then.

Chris
Als Ik Kan

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums App

OP
Deathangel1

Deathangel1

Reaction score
UPDATE: I called verizon to have them activate the vodafone/verizon sim card. Which works on Vodafones network.

Verizon/vodafone sim works 100% on the same network(TOWER) from the same location on my table.

Yes the Verizon sim card works perfectly on the default settings even with the fission rom. This was on the 1st page.

UPDATE: KPN sim card works with SMS and call. still no data!! I tried every apn setting I could find for KPN and Hi mobile. I am using the verizon rom since fission crashes with KPN sim. I saw another droid phone in the store checked the info menu and copied all the apn settings. The problem has to be somewhere in this phone. Does anyone know if there is a virgin firmware from Motorola for this phone?!!?!??!

Has anyone got the USSD commands working for foreign sim cards?

leobg

Reaction score
I am afraid there would be no virgin firmware as this phone is Verizon only thing.

However - I was digging thru the system files of the stock rom and I saw many things that surprised me quite a bit. For example, there the data manager APK is full of AT&T stuff, including nicely sized AT&T company logo! Default apn-conf.xml has settings for AT&T T-Mobile US/UK/CZ, Rogers Canada (with wrong MCC assigned - 310 instead 302), Orange France/Austria/Denmark/Netherlands, several others too.
in build.prop there is a commented reference to a different RIL than what phone uses currently:
Code:
# rild.libpath=/system/lib/libril-moto-umts-1.so
rild.libpath=/system/lib/libmoto_ril.so
Another interesting reference in build.prop -
Code:
#BEGIN Motorola, nfjb73, 21-jun-2010,
# this is for feature 34386, other features for vzw global phone
# could use this property too. IKMAIN-732
#1 this is verizon wireless globle phone
#0 this is not verizon wireless globle phone
ro.mot.phonemode.vzwglobalphone=1
# END Motorola, nfjb73, 21-jun-2010, IKMAIN-732
I wish they have left libril-moto-umts-1.so on the phone so we can try it..

As for the sending SMS - this might be the culpirt:
Code:
# BEGIN Motorola, qmfd78, 14-Jul-2010, IKMAIN-884
# GSM SMS traffic needs to be routed/sent through North America SMSC.
# This is part of the VZW World-phone Feature. SMS are always sent to a US SMSC and then injected
# into that network. This allows for billing and give the user the impression that the device is
# still in the US.
ro.telephony.gsm-routes-us-smsc = 1
# END  Motorola, qmfd78, 14-Jul-2010, IKMAIN-884

Try changing ro.telephony.gsm-routes-us-smsc to 0 to see if SMS can go out..

Last edited:
OP
Deathangel1

Deathangel1

Reaction score
As for the sending SMS - this might be the culpirt:
Code:
# BEGIN Motorola, qmfd78, 14-Jul-2010, IKMAIN-884
# GSM SMS traffic needs to be routed/sent through North America SMSC.
# This is part of the VZW World-phone Feature. SMS are always sent to a US SMSC and then injected
# into that network. This allows for billing and give the user the impression that the device is
# still in the US.
ro.telephony.gsm-routes-us-smsc = 1
# END  Motorola, qmfd78, 14-Jul-2010, IKMAIN-884
Try changing ro.telephony.gsm-routes-us-smsc to 0 to see if SMS can go out..

leobg: SMS works with another sim card. KPN's off brand "HI mobile" All 3 Sim cards fed the proper SMSC into the phone. From what I can tell they had the proper APNs

I am tempted to try the last network here "t mobile NL " and see if data works. But for now I am content with caching google maps of a city via wifi before I go out.
I was talking to a local HI mobile employee. Supposedly you need to reload the software on the US iphone version to a NL version OS. Who knows if it this mobile data problem is caused by the network or just the way the phone communicates with the network.

Just a reminder to everyone the error is in the info menu. It just sits there and tries to connect. With Vodafone NL and KPN/HI NL works with Verizon on the Vodafone NL towers. SMS works with carrier other than Vodafone NL.

fritsbenik

Reaction score
Data works on T-mobile I already tested it before mine went off to repair.

Sent from my HTC Magic using DroidForums App

fritsbenik

Reaction score
really depends on your plan. I only know that the data connection is far from optimal, but that isn't a problem in the 'big' citys

BobSteel

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure the problem is something leftover from the ROM you loaded.

VZW has a special layer of authentication for their global phones that basically checks the ESN against a database before it allows roaming data. So you can get SMS/voice but not MMS/mobile data as the latter uses this advanced authentication.

(see Mach: CDMA Roaming / Wholesale Roaming / Roaming / Solutions / MACH )

The ROM builder would have to be aware of this and somehow spoof the ESN.

Verizon likely does this so their SIM can't be used in any other devices as well as their own billing reasons.

I've not seen anyone really acknowledge this in the ROM builder community. I'm trying to find the relevant bit of code so I can hack this myself, but I can't locate any of the CDMA-specific code that would handle this unfortunately.

BobSteel

Reaction score
Technically VZW uses Syniverse not Mach:
http://www.syniverse.com/files/service_solutions/pdf/sccp_gateway_01081.pdf
I'm pretty sure the problem is something leftover from the ROM you loaded.

VZW has a special layer of authentication for their global phones that basically checks the ESN against a database before it allows roaming data. So you can get SMS/voice but not MMS/mobile data as the latter uses this advanced authentication.

(see Mach: CDMA Roaming / Wholesale Roaming / Roaming / Solutions / MACH )

The ROM builder would have to be aware of this and somehow spoof the ESN.

Verizon likely does this so their SIM can't be used in any other devices as well as their own billing reasons.

I've not seen anyone really acknowledge this in the ROM builder community. I'm trying to find the relevant bit of code so I can hack this myself, but I can't locate any of the CDMA-specific code that would handle this unfortunately.