Mobile internet and sms sending fail DG2 on Global GSM

Deathangel1

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I have been out of the modding game for some time. I did a Verizon v3c to Alltel firmware swap back in the day. Now, I am in the Netherlands for a semester, I have a vodafone sim card installed. I can call and receive calls. and receive sms, but can not send sms. Also the internet over the mobile network is not working.
Yesterday I went to 2 Vodafone stores and called support. I completed a cross test(swap sim cards with another Vodafone phone and try sms) So from this test I would say sim card is working. So recap I can not send sms to my self nor anyone else and there is no data connection.

Now while in the store they added a apn. Which some how let me go to google.nl, this may have been cached since any attempts after that did not work. The next store said my phone was not supported. I believe the problem is with the fact that the DG2 comes with a vodafone/verizon sim card. Therefore it has some settings which are hard wired into the phone.

When looking at the "*#*#4636#*#*"
"gsm disconnects =====DATA=====
is connecting to Vodafone NL,42,20404, emgsm.vzw3g.com null,httpmms.vtext.com/servlets/mms,null,null,null,-1,default,mms

Those are settings from the default Apns Which are LOCKED!
For some reason the phone keeps using the verizon APN?
So I believe with out being able to delete the 2 apns from verizon I am screwed.

Also something to note is you do not need a unlock code for the Vodafone sims. I believe DG2 comes unlocked for vodafone sims from VZW since it comes with vodafone/verizon sims.

I have done one factory reset. I have also completed a fission rom flash a while back (2.4.3) and undid it before any of this NetherLand stuff. I am going to try that again after i do a back up and see if that fixes it. Do u guys recommend any firmware?

Any help would be appreciated.

OP
Deathangel1

Deathangel1

Reaction score
update: Fission rom allowed me to delete the VZW Apns. I got the same error for DATA but with the proper apn settings. I am going to call vodafone tmrw and see if they have any ideas or if the problem is all on their end. Also noticed my number listed under the status of the phone, and the number that pops up when viewing txts sent to myself is 0000001586 lol. so WTF.

OP
Deathangel1

Deathangel1

Reaction score
Fail

Attempt 3 and day 4. So I was able to send one txt after messing around with the preferred band in the info menu using "unknow". After this the phone signal strength gauge went berserk and started going to no signal. I then proceeded to re flash the phone to original settings. SFB flash. So after all of that I got back to square one.
Tried txting and internet with all STOCK settings. FAIL
Changed added popper APM and set to GSM/WCMDA. FAIL
Rooted, installed Fission. Stock Settings = FAIL

So apparently DG2 does not work globally. Droid doesn't when Verizon gets their fingers on it. I will check back here periodically. :blackdroid: Post if you have questions or ideas. Godspeed to all who attempt this. dancedroid

IslesFan

Reaction score
Before trying the following(No idea if it will work, backup your files!!!!!)

Two things to try:
Modify (/system)/etc/apns-conf.xml go towards bottom, and change the Vodafone NL entries to the non verizon APNS.

Modify build.prop maybe(I saw an entry about SMS and north america gateway)

OP
Deathangel1

Deathangel1

Reaction score
Where exactly are both of these files located to make sure we are on the same page. Also would I just reflash with the fission rom manager?

Last edited:

IslesFan

Reaction score
They are on the root file system under /system, and /system/etc, as I said before. You can use something like Root Explorer to remount the file system. These aren't like the old style P2K phones.

gilmourd

Reaction score
Attempt 3 and day 4. So I was able to send one txt after messing around with the preferred band in the info menu using "unknow". After this the phone signal strength gauge went berserk and started going to no signal. I then proceeded to re flash the phone to original settings. SFB flash. So after all of that I got back to square one.
Tried txting and internet with all STOCK settings. FAIL
Rooted, installed Fission. Stock Settings = FAIL

So apparently DG2 does not work globally. Droid doesn't when Verizon gets their fingers on it. I will check back here periodically. :blackdroid: Post if you have questions or ideas. Godspeed to all who attempt this. dancedroid

I used Rogers in Canada with the Fission ROM. I had some trouble, but it was related to outgoing calls and not data. Rogers has both 2G GSM network and 3G HSPA networks. Since then, I have switched to Bell and it only has a 3G HSPA network. The phone has had no problems. Maybe you could try to turn of the 2G antenna?

Btw, did you install the SIM card hotfix in the 1.2.4 ROM manager?

fritsbenik

Reaction score
I registered just to bring you the bad news. I had the same problems with my droid 2 global and vodafone NL. Went to the store 4 times and spend about 2 hours calling tech support. Eventually the told me the didn't support the phone an didn't plan to do it. So basically your screwed.
I switched to KPN and everything works fine accepts that the damn phone keep soft rebooting!

OP
Deathangel1

Deathangel1

Reaction score
gilmourd: Yes I did.

Thank you fritsbenik, I may switch to KPN. But I want to try this file modification.

IslesFan I take it the phone should not be fully booted while replacing these files. I have it fission recovery mode, but I can not seem to pull up the files system to re place with modified ones. Please advise

OP
Deathangel1

Deathangel1

Reaction score
Recap

UPDATE: I called verizon to have them activate the vodafone/verizon sim card. Which works on Vodafones network. I am going to try to mesh the APN/Network settings that the verizon sim uses with the vodafone(NL) sim settings. Maybe I can get some Frankenstein settings haha. I probably should be studying. :blackdroid:

Recap
Netherland Vodafone sim =sms send and 3g data do not work with Vodafone tech given settings. Which are not tested for my phone. They do have droid phones.

Verizon/vodafone sim works 100% on the same network(TOWER) from the same location on my table.

fritsbenik

Reaction score
try using busybox. with the file you edited on the sdcard

<code>
adb shell mount -o rw,remount /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system
adb shell busybox cp -R /sdcard/apns-conf.xml /system/etc/
adb reboot
</code>

I will try to do the same but first my phone needs to work longer than 2 minutes w/o a freaking reboot

OP
Deathangel1

Deathangel1

Reaction score
I will try to do the same but first my phone needs to work longer than 2 minutes w/o a freaking reboot
Is this bc of KPN or u just messing around with ur phone. I may be able to help since i know how to re flash this phone like 9 different ways now.

fritsbenik

Reaction score
I think its not because of kpn, because it will randomly reboot even when there's no SIM in it.
I'm very interested in a other flash method than sbf because that doesn't seem to help against the reboots.

Sent from my DROID 2 GLOBAL using DroidForums App

OP
Deathangel1

Deathangel1

Reaction score
So after calling Vodafone again :icon_evil: They have no idea why it will not connect.
SOoo I believe the only 2 reasons left why the phone will not connect.
1) unintentionally Vodafone does not allow the verizon DG2 to connect to the network with a NL vodafone sim. This is caused by the settings/processes to connect with the "verizon/vodafone" apn and smsc servers.
2) They intentionally block the DG2 from connecting bc of the Verizon agreement.
SO I am going to go get a differnt sim card. And come back to this later.

fritsbenik What are the exact steps you took to flash ur phone. did u checksum the file?