Mobile Hotspot question

wilyums

Reaction score
Needing internet, I broke down after moving and paid for the Hotspot. I was trying to find out how much I have used and couldn't. So I went to Verizon chat and the agent told me,I paid the fee and because I was unlimited my hotspot was also unlimited. I saved the transcript, but can anyone confirm this? I always thought they limited the Hotspot. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
I thought so too but I may be wrong. Definitely save that transcript.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Yes..sorry I saw this but was busy.if you're unlimited data..and buy the hotspot..it too is unlimited.. Now this has changed but this is the way it currently is..i too have WiFi hotspot..and if you want to see what you've used..go into settings... Data usage, and scroll down..you'll see it..I recently started watching breaking bad and either they claim more than is being used, or streaming 2 episodes is just wow...

In my experience.. We had foxfi and streamed and the numbers were way lower than vzw's figures...just saying...I know that's not relevant.. But passing it along..

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Just an FYI: The numbers you'll see via the "data" option within your system settings will vary anywhere from 8-10gb, from what you've actually used. That's why you'll notice it says you've used "about" such & such amount. If you aren't on an unlimited plan and need much more precise numbers, I would advise using the "My Verizon Mobile" app that is considered bloat and should be already preloaded on pretty much every Verizon mobile device. (If it isn't, just do a search in the play store) Mine is currently showing a 9.605gb difference over the data/system settings "estimate".
I've always used this app to pay my bill each month as well as look into the specifics a bit closer since I don't receive a copy of my statement each month. It's one of the few Verizon apps I actually find useful.

S5 tap'n

OP
wilyums

wilyums

Reaction score
I use My Verizon also. That is the reason I got in contact with them. I couldn't find the actual data I was using while using the Hotspot

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Ok, gotcha. It should still be lumped together under your plans data since it's considered "unlimited". There shouldn't be any data limit or plans on Verizon's "hotspot" anymore AFAIK, but I could be wrong.

Hang in there and hopefully @jackiescivic can chime in on this one since she's a Verizon rep.

Update: in the My Verizon app, look under "Profile", then "manage network programs", see if the hotspot info is listed there.

S5 tap'n

Last edited:

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
If you check where I said..it will show you your hot spot data..but as i said..the accuracy is in question for me...but you're unlimited.. So really it doesn't matter....

Reactions: cr6

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I'm not on an unlimited plan, but I've found the system data counter to be pretty darn close to accurate. I haven't really used tethering though, so that might be different. Did you guys set up the data counter with your billing cycle? Because that would make a difference.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
I thought it automatically sets it up to your billing cycle? Not sure if each device is different that way, but it's always been set to my billing cycle on my Galaxy S devices.

S5 tap'n

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
My billing cycle is always in the 16th.
AH62wlo.png

But I see what you mean with the "change cycle" option at the bottom, I didn't notice that before since I rarely go in there. Learn something new everyday. Thx JK!

S5 tap'n

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I believe it just starts with whatever date the phone was first turned on/activated. I know i changed it on my 6P recently, but I also swear that I had to do so on my Note 4 last year. When I got the Note, that's when I dropped my UDP, so I was suddenly slightly more concerned with tracking my data usage.

Miklb58

Silver Member
Reaction score
I believe that it defaults to a months span, beginning on the day the device is activated. I purchased my Note4 mid stream and that was the cycle beginning date, and I had to change it to match my billing cycle.

Sent from my Verizon Galaxy Note4 using Tapatalk