Mobile Hotspot issues

Jordanpaul

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I had some major problems getting my Mobile Hotspot to work. At first it was very difficult to connect to anything and then a few days later it would not connect to anything.
I went to Verizon and they told me to do a hard reset. After I had spent 3-4 hours setting the phone up, this was not a welcome option.
After the Verizon person looked at everything, he discovered that the Hotspot would work if you set it up to only connect with specific devices.
This meant that you had to find and enter the MAC address on the Wi-Fi device that you wanted to connect to.
Since this was a very short list, I went home and tried it and it worked.

Good news! The next day when I was exploring my S3, I discovered that the Hotspot would work on any Wi-Fi as long as you turned all the security "OFF" on the S3 and made it "OPEN" to anyone.
The security aspect of this does not concern me so I am good to go.

Cinoib

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I had some major problems getting my Mobile Hotspot to work. At first it was very difficult to connect to anything and then a few days later it would not connect to anything.
I went to Verizon and they told me to do a hard reset. After I had spent 3-4 hours setting the phone up, this was not a welcome option.
After the Verizon person looked at everything, he discovered that the Hotspot would work if you set it up to only connect with specific devices.
This meant that you had to find and enter the MAC address on the Wi-Fi device that you wanted to connect to.

Good news! The next day when I was exploring my S3, I discovered that the Hotspot would work on any Wi-Fi as long as you turned all the security "OFF" on the S3 and made it "OPEN" to anyone.

I too had issues getting the S3 to connect to the Razr Maxx. In fact, it would not connect to the Razr. However it did finally connect. I did enter the phone name and the Mac address. Funny though, it connected to an Ipod and an Ipad with no difficulty.

My guess is that the G3 is a little more difficult to connect due to local issues between the devices that are being connected. But it will eventally connect.

OP
J

Jordanpaul

Reaction score
Hotspot Issues

Yes you can connect any Wi-Fi device to the S3 when the Hotspot feature is turned on.

johnd09

Reaction score
The issue I have had is sort of wierd. I can can connect all the devices I want, with security, as long as they are same thing such as all Android or whatever. Tried to connect my Transformer Prime and a windows pc and data cycles on and off. Removed PC and data locks working fine. Same thing with removing tablet leaving only PC works fine.

Sort of odd, my old thunderbolt used to do the same thing except it would refuse to allow any Apple devices to connect. Mac or iWhatever and data would go crazy.

Nyteravyn

Reaction score
I found that if you set the s3 up to allow Any device to connect with security, then add the device to the preferred list them switch to allowed only, I have great results!
Currently allowing;
Windows7 laptop
Motoactv watch
Windows7 Netbook
Xoom tablet
Xyboard 8.2 tablet

colorchart123

Reaction score
So for the verizon sg3, if i use Firefox i dont need a 3rd party app? If i do which is the one to get? Thanks

Nyteravyn

Reaction score
colorchart123 said:
So for the verizon sg3, if i use Firefox i dont need a 3rd party app? If i do which is the one to get? Thanks

1. turn on your hotspot on your g s3.
2. Set up the name of the device, change the password.
3. Set to allow any device to connect...
4. Scan for hotspots from your ipad... put in the password and allow it to connect.
5. Check the box to the right of your device name (iPad) on the gs3 to make it an allowed device.
6. Set your phone to only allowed devices.
7. have fun!

* reset to (allow all) if wanting to add devices per above at any time or leave open.

Nyteravyn

Reaction score
Edit...
Make sure to have your gs3 on external power ...
Hotspot sucks the juice!

drew96dawg

Reaction score
The issue I have had is sort of wierd. I can can connect all the devices I want, with security, as long as they are same thing such as all Android or whatever. Tried to connect my Transformer Prime and a windows pc and data cycles on and off. Removed PC and data locks working fine. Same thing with removing tablet leaving only PC works fine.

I have the same problem with my d2
Sent from my DROID2 using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2

windstrings

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Hi everyone,

I have the share everything plan so hotspot if free.. however on my new samsung s3 I have not been able to get internet working.
Becoming flabergasted with verizons tech support I took matters into my own hands....

Here's what I did...
I decided to see of foxfi would work.. "the app that allows free hotspot"
per foxfi instructions when you go to download it.... some samsung phones have issues.. need to turn on wifi but don't allow to connect to anything..

I installed foxfi "free without root"... rebooted and was able to
get instant hotspot when activated!... then I turn off foxfi and
turned on the stock hotspot and now it works!

I then uninstalled foxfi, rebooted and turned on hotspot "with
wifi off" ,now my stock hotspot works instantly when turned on
with internet access!

This time I turned it the hotspot off again.. turned wifi back on
and logged onto a network in my house "wireless".. once logged on
I tried to activate hotspot again. This turns off my wifi in the
act of activating hotspot, but the hotspot now works!

I rebooted just to confirm one more time and still works!

Last edited:

windstrings

Reaction score
Its been a day and my internet hotspot with the S3 still works "however" it takes about 30 seconds sometimes for my internet to connect of my computer to identify the network "viewed in network and sharing center" on my win 7 laptop.

I actually like using foxfi better because it authenicates and connects to the internet almost instantly and it may even have faster speeds.....

Something foxfi is doing is friendlier with windows and the S3 than using the stock hotspot on the s3.