/mnt/sdcard... Is it the same?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by neccoguy21, Jul 4, 2010.

1. neccoguy21

neccoguy21 New Member

I formated my sdcard recently, and I'm pretty sure that's when my root folder changed from /sdcard to /mnt/sdcard. Is this normal? Is it how android is working now? Or did I do something weird? Is it kosher?

Anyone have an answer to this? Thanks!

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
  2. gflam

gflam Developer Theme Developer Developer

I don't really have an exact answer to your question but when i looked at my droid i have both a root mnt/sdcard folder and a regular just sdcard folder at the root. I looked in both and they both contain the exact same files not really sure why there is two but i would assume your fine because i have the same files in both folders and i just added a file to my sd card from my computer not even ten minutes ago and it appeared in the mnt folder so you should be fine i guess. Sorry i wish i had a more definate answer
  3. neccoguy21

neccoguy21 New Member

No, thanks for the reassurance! That's what I was hoping for!

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
  4. durrell

durrell New Member

It's the way Linux works. When you mount a file system, you mount it in a directory. Typically that directory is /mnt or /media. The reason you see /mnt/sdcard and sdcard is probably because the file utility you're using (I use Linda Manager and it does this) is aliasing the directory into a shortcut so that you can reach it easier. :)
  5. neccoguy21

neccoguy21 New Member

Thanks for the explanation! I can't get enough info, I love this phone so much! This forum rules!
  6. Dave12308

Dave12308 New Member

Yup. And the more you learn about linux, the more awesome of a device it becomes. Most people are used to Windows, which uses drive letters. Linux doesn't, so there has to be some way to reference the folder heirarchy.

Assume your PC mounts your Droid's sdcard as the F: drive.

on the PC, the path:

F:\downloads\test.apk

would be equivalent to:

/sdcard/downloads/test.apk

on the DROID.

the /mnt/ folder in linux is simply a virtual directory holding the mounted devices. if you were to unmount the card, there would be no more sdcard directory in /mnt/
  7. Se7enLC

Se7enLC New Member

/sdcard is a symbolic link to /mnt/sdcard. /mnt/sdcard is where the SD card is actually mounted, but the same files can also be accessed in /sdcard.
  8. Bxrider117

Bxrider117 New Member

Maybe someone can help me. I have been experiencing Froyo problems. None of my apps would install or uninstall. I finally realized that it has to be my SD card. How can I reformat my card. I have backed everything up, but i am having difficulty formatting it on my Droid. I am running CM Alpha 3.
  9. Se7enLC

Se7enLC New Member

Make a new thread? your problem has nothing to do with this thread except that you think it's the SD card. SD card formatting is under Settings | SD Card, it's pretty easy to find - but I don't think that is your problem.
  10. Bxrider117

Bxrider117 New Member

Thanks for letting me know I should start a new thread. Tell me something I don't know. Figuring that this was a thread about SD cards, I thought those that would respond would be knowledgeable with SD cards and not thread formation. I will take your advice.
  11. dmartins

dmartins Member

I'm on the Froyo FRF84b and had the same problem formatting my SD card.
    I couldn't get it to unmount when it was booted normally.
    Once I booted in safe mode it unmount the card the 1st time and formatted too.

Safe Mode:
    Turn off your phone, then hold down the Menu and Power/Hang Up buttons, and keep holding them through the splash screens until your phone boots. You’ll see "safe mode" in the lower left corner.
  12. neccoguy21

neccoguy21 New Member

The cleanest way to do it is to remove the sd card from the phone, put it in an adapter and format it on your computer. then there's no chance of hidden files and what not getting in the way. Combined with a data wipe makes it a fresh, factory start.
  13. Bxrider117

Bxrider117 New Member

I've figured it out. Ir saved all my files to my computer from my SD card and booted up my phone in safe mode. From There I was able to format my SD card. I realise that e every now and then you need to clean some of the junk from your SD card.
  14. brando56894

brando56894 New Member

I didnt read the whole thread but /sdcard is probably a symlink to /mnt/sdcard. If you dont have an /sdcard directory try typing this in the terminal su; ln -s /mnt/sdcard /sdcard
Search tags for this page
/mnt/sdcard
/mnt/sdcard/download

android /mnt/sdcard

android mnt sdcard

android mnt/sdcard
android path to sd card
android sd card root path

android sdcard path

formatting damaged sd card with terminal emulator
mnt sdcard

mnt sdcard android