mnt Folder?????

Discussion in 'Bugless' started by rdburke, Jul 5, 2010.

1. rdburke

rdburke Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I installed the newest BB rom and I noticed a folder on the root of my Droid /mnt and it contains 3 folders. asec, sdcard, and secure. The sdcard folder contains the contents of my entire sdcard. I thought it might be something new that Titanium Backup was doing because asec contains all my apps. I uninstalled TB and deleted mnt but upon reboot it comes right back. Is this something from BB? I just don't see the point of duplicating my sdcard. Hope someone can shed light on this.

dancedroid

2. MPTP

MPTP New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm not an expert, but I'm 99% sure those folders and files are a result of Froyo and its implementation of Apps2SD. I noticed that when I upgraded to Froyo (not Pete's) and I couldn't remember if that was new or not.

Seeing as how it's on the Droid's internal memory, it can't be duplicating the entire content of the sdcard. It looks like it's just recording certain information, like folder/file structure, with the other files just links to the actual content on the sdcard.

Also, I would imagine the asec contains the additional content of applications installed to the sdcard that is not on the sdcard. That's how it appears to me at least.

#2 MPTP, Jul 5, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2010
  3. bje1982

bje1982 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I noticed that a while back so its not just BB.. The mnt means mounted I believe but not positive and the sdcard folder is just your sdcard. Why is it in 2 places I dont know but Im sure an expert will post the answer. And it has nothing to do with Froyo or Apps2 Sd

#3 bje1982, Jul 5, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2010
  4. rdburke

rdburke Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Waiting......................................................for expert? ZZZzzzzzzzzz!

5. castiel

castiel New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    In Unix based operating systems any storage devices (hard drives, flash drives, cdroms) can be "mounted" in any directory. /mnt is a typical directory where these are mounted. You can type the 'mount' command from a terminal emulator and see everything thats currently mounted. You will see that the SD card in the droid is mounted in /mnt/sdcard.

Also in Unix based systems you can make symbolic links (think shortcuts in windows) that point to any file or directory. The /sdcard directory on the droid is just a symbolic link that points to /mnt/sdcard. You can see this by using a terminal emulator and typing "cd /" and then "ls -l".

So basically /sdcard is just a shortcut to /mnt/sdcard where the physical device is mounted. Hope this helps.

6. GirLuvsDroid

GirLuvsDroid Senior Member

Ratings:
    +1
Search tags for this page

android asec folder

android mnt asec

android mnt asec folder

android mnt folder

asec folder
mnt asec folder

mnt folder