1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

[MM Theme] Beautiful Widgets - Semi Transparent Shadow Widgets

Discussion in 'Android Themes' started by EmmVeePee, Apr 2, 2010.

1. EmmVeePee

EmmVeePee New Member

Theme is attached to this post, look on the bottom

Description
    :

This is my first metamorph theme. I took the stock beautiful widgets and made them somewhat transparent. Pictures pretty much explain themselves. I'm going to make an alternative pack with even more transparency.

Since this is my first attempt at a metamorph theme, please be easy on me. And suggestions would be appreciated and I'll listen to all of them with an open ear.

PLEASE do a backup before you attempt this. I don't want anyone messing their device up. I've tested this myself and haven't run into any problems. As far as I know the worst case scenario would just ruin your beautiful widgets, and could be fixed with a reinstall of BW.

Credit: I used the base theme of beautiful widgets to create my icons. While I essentially remade every icon, most of the credit goes to the creators of Beautiful Widgets, who make a great product. Please visit their website: Beautiful Widgets | LevelUp Studio

I also want to give credit to Slider46 as I stole his thread layout and most of his instructions. Please see his thread on how to get colored text for SetCPU located here.

Requirements:

1. Please be sure you have the latest version of Beautiful Widgets Go to Market > Menu > Downloads and see if you have an update available for Beautiful Widgets.
    2. The .apk for Beautiful Widgets (which is named by default to com.levelup.beautifulwidgets.apk) must be renamed to beautifulwidgets.apk (THIS IS CASE SENSITIVE)
    3. The renamed .apk must be moved from /data/app/ to /system/app/
    4. Reinstall the .apk from its new /system/app/ directory.
    You can use a program like Root Explorer to move, rename, and reinstall the file. Root Explorer can be found on the market and is a very handy program.

Instructions:

1. BACKUP YOUR SYSTEM
    2. Remove any Beautiful Widgets from your home screens (not very important, but you may run into some errors if you don't).
    3. Download the attached zipfile (ShadowWidgets.zip)
    4. Place the .zip file on your sdcard in a folder called "AndroidThemes" (no quotes)
    5. Open MetaMorph and choose "Pick Theme"
    6. Choose the ShadowWidgets.zip file and allow MetaMorph to extract the file
    7. Select the beautifulwidgets.apk subtheme (the only one listed)
    8. Select "Apply It!"
    9. Once MetaMorph finishes, exit.
    10. Reload your widgets and you should have the custom icon pack.

ScreenShots:
    ShadowWidgets (Original)
    I fixed the bluetooth icon a little. You can tell there was an extra pixel in the following screenshots:
    On dark blue wallpaper:
    [​IMG]

On green wallpaper:
    [​IMG]

*This is the same theme, I just want to show you what it looks like on different wall papers

UPDATE 4/7/10
    ShadowWidgets2 BETA1
    [​IMG]

This is a beta release. The theme is entirely in working order, but a few alterations will be made until the release is final. Mainly, I need to change the color of the border when something is on/off/working (like the red/green light on the stock pack).

Thanks to Slider46, this theme will also be offered without the bottom text. Once this theme is completed I'll post a link to his thread.

INSTRUCTIONS ARE THE SAME FOR ALL VERSIONS
    Just download the version you want below and install it per the instructions above. Look at the screenshots for each version.
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2010
  2. jasonb

jasonb New Member

When did Beatiful Widgets get a brightness widget?
  3. b00mb00mchuck

b00mb00mchuck New Member

That brightness has been around for quite awhile now..

Good work dude... looks nice on the blue background

How bout trying ... no frame ... blue icon ... no text

Just throwin that out there
  4. RedBull

RedBull New Member

It was pretty recent...one of the last updates I believe
  5. Chief Wahoo

Chief Wahoo Premium Member Premium Member

With the retheming and renaming of Market apps, has anyone confirmed that updates will be announced like they are today?

These transparent BW icons are sweet. I also would love to see these without the icon box/outline. . if possible.
  6. EmmVeePee

EmmVeePee New Member

This is a downside.

You would be able to update via market, however you'd likely have to reapply your themes. Also, I'm pretty certain once you edit an app it'll show "Update available". Not quite sure if this is true when its in system/app
  7. Kack

Kack New Member

I love BW for the clocks but i never liked the individual toggles. i prefer the Droid Stock power control with the transparent theme.
  8. EmmVeePee

EmmVeePee New Member

Working on ones without the box, should be available in a couple of days.
  9. Chief Wahoo

Fantastic!!! EmVeePee. . . thanks for the hard work!
  10. Slider46

Slider46 New Member

I've figured out how to edit the .xml file that controls the label on the widget. I can now remove "gps" "wifi" ....

*Edit - Seems I spoke too soon. I've got GPS and WiFi removed but the others are different. Still working...

To remove the background for the text label just requires cropping out the text label background from the .png files for each widget.

I'll wait to hear from EmmVeePee before posting themes :) Would be best for the thread if all themes were either combined or neatly organized in the original post.
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2010
  11. EmmVeePee

EmmVeePee New Member

Yeah, the background is easy and it'll probably take me 20 seconds to do. I'm more concerned about remaking the icons since if they were just naked without the border they would look fairly odd to me. I'll send you the pngs in a few if you want to see what you can do with the text.
  12. EmmVeePee

EmmVeePee New Member

Ok, I made some new icons.

I have a small border just to keep it looking good, and I added a blur to the icons, which made most of the icons look great, but "Sleep" still needs some work.

Edit: Here is a preview. I'm working with Slider, who is going to try to hack the text out of each widget. Here is what I whipped up in a few minutes, and I'll be making more options and cleaning these up over the next few days:

[​IMG]
    The border is the same opacity as the previous pack, but looks darker since its on a white background in this screen shot.

I'll try to come up with a true transparent pack, but I just don't see it looking good without some sort of border or some fringe.
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2010
  13. Chief Wahoo

I like what I see and agree with you that not having some sort of subtle border will look strange - what the forum shows is looking pretty good, even against the white background.
  14. b00mb00mchuck

b00mb00mchuck New Member

I'll be the one to disagree... "no background" would match a lot of themes that are already going that way now... it depends on the wallpaper I guess... if you can get it down to... no background.. no text.. blue icon.. ... watch the downloads fly...

Trying to match my:
    Transparent power bar
    Transparent SetCpu-blue
    Transparent MiniInfo
    Transparent Genie
    BeautifulHome - naked blue

I've got my fingers crossed for all your hard work to match something in the "naked widget" world
  15. Slider46

Slider46 New Member

Spent quite a bit of time yesterday trying to find the source for the text for the Airplane, Vibrate, Bluetooth, Brightness, Silent. No luck. The text doesn't seem to appear in any of the .xml files.

I'll see if changing the text Alpha to 00 (completely transparent) gets the desired effect.
  16. Slider46

Slider46 New Member

Success!

Got it :)

[​IMG]

Now all we need to do is combine the themes.
  17. EmmVeePee

EmmVeePee New Member

Updated the OP with a new flavor. Releasing it as a beta as I still need to work out the colors (this is going to be tedious).
  18. Slider46

Slider46 New Member

Search tags for this page

android metamorph themes

android widget add shadow

beautiful widgets theme: galaxy blue

how to create a beautiful android icon