[MM] Color Signal Strength

wingdo

Reaction score
I know several people have asked about a green signal bar for 928Droid's Black Glass. I made an attempt to modify his as a green version, but I just could not get the gradients to my liking so I decided to create my own.

First a bit of back story as to why this theme has 5 bars instead of 4 for signal strength. Many of Verizon's regular phones have 5 signal bars and I started to wonder why the Droid has 4. Then over the weekend while I was stopped at a light for a long train at the SW corner of O'Hare I noticed I was showing ZERO bars of signal but I was still on my call. So I decided to look into the Droid a bit further and noticed there is a "no service" icon as well. So it seems that there was indeed a difference between the Droid's 0 bars of service and no signal. So 5 bars did indeed make sense to me.

The other item to note is my eyesight is terrible, just the standard middle aged not wearing reading glasses crap, but poor enough to not make a great distinction between how many bars there are. So I decided to color code the bars as well. 5 bars = Pure green, 4 bars = Lemon Lime, 3 bars = yellow, 2 bars = orange, 1 bar = red.

I made this for 928Droid's Black Glass which I use, so the theme is fully transparent this should be quite visible on any notification bar although of course a darker bar would look best. For the sake of posting pictures here, I did fill in the background as black, but in the zip file the background is transparent.

Feedback is welcome. I am posting in this forum right now instead of the Themes forum as 1) This is where the request for a color signal meter was made, and 2) I'm among friends here.

This installs via Metamorph.

Edit: I added a second version with a smaller X for no service. Both inner files are named the same so you can only have one or the other in your MetaMorph AndroidThemes folder at any given time.

stat_sys_signal_null.png
stat_sys_signal_0.png
stat_sys_signal_1.png
stat_sys_signal_2.png
stat_sys_signal_3.png
stat_sys_signal_4.png

Last edited:

TRIKOTRET

Reaction score
I know several people have asked about a green signal bar for 928Droid's Black Glass. I made an attempt to modify his as a green version, but I just could not get the gradients to my liking so I decided to create my own.

First a bit of back story as to why this theme has 5 bars instead of 4 for signal strength. Many of Verizon's regular phones have 5 signal bars and I started to wonder why the Droid has 4. Then over the weekend while I was stopped at a light for a long train at the SW corner of O'Hare I noticed I was showing ZERO bars of signal but I was still on my call. So I decided to look into the Droid a bit further and noticed there is a "no service" icon as well. So it seems that there was indeed a difference between the Droid's 0 bars of service and no signal. So 5 bars did indeed make sense to me.

The other item to note is my eyesight is terrible, just the standard middle aged not wearing reading glasses crap, but poor enough to not make a great distinction between how many bars there are. So I decided to color code the bars as well. 5 bars = Pure green, 4 bars = Lemon Lime, 3 bars = yellow, 2 bars = orange, 1 bar = red.

I made this for 928Droid's Black Glass which I use, so the theme is fully transparent this should be quite visible on any notification bar although of course a darker bar would look best. For the sake of posting pictures here, I did fill in the background as black, but in the zip file the background is transparent.

Feedback is welcome. I am posting in this forum right now instead of the Themes forum as 1) This is where the request for a color signal meter was made, and 2) I'm among friends here.

stat_sys_signal_null.png
stat_sys_signal_0.png
stat_sys_signal_1.png
stat_sys_signal_2.png
stat_sys_signal_3.png
stat_sys_signal_4.png

Came out really nice. But im only getting 4 bars. I guess the signal not that great here at my house. :icon_eek:

rob22202

Reaction score
No wonder installing it through recovery wasn't working.

I had been wanting color coded signal strength...thanks!

OP
wingdo

wingdo

Reaction score
Came out really nice. But im only getting 4 bars. I guess the signal not that great here at my house. :icon_eek:

Thanks! Where I work I'm able to verify each and every step of the signal strength. I get all 5 bars outside my building. I manage 3 and 4 bars on the second floor near windows, 1 or 2 bars in the center area of the first floor, and if I go into the basement's old fallout shelter, I only get the red X.

Thanks again for giving it a look, it's only the second set of icon replacements I have done (the other is a 3G / 1x with colored data in and out), and the only one I have liked enough to share with others.

eagle1967

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.sourceryrom.com
thanks

Thanks! Where I work I'm able to verify each and every step of the signal strength. I get all 5 bars outside my building. I manage 3 and 4 bars on the second floor near windows, 1 or 2 bars in the center area of the first floor, and if I go into the basement's old fallout shelter, I only get the red X.

Thanks again for giving it a look, it's only the second set of icon replacements I have done (the other is a 3G / 1x with colored data in and out), and the only one I have liked enough to share with others.

Ok first metmorph ive done . Now have gren bars(thanks)
any chance of gettting the colored x1-3g ones for same theme.
thanks again almost all white gone from top now :)

bmxriderjack

Reaction score
does this work on bb .4?
the reason i ask is because mm rarely works with bb .4 for some reason

OP
wingdo

wingdo

Reaction score

Ok first metmorph ive done . Now have gren bars(thanks)
any chance of gettting the colored x1-3g ones for same theme.

Well I use Black Glass which is a gradiated black notification bar so the white works fine for me, but I am up to suggestions. What colors would you like to see for the 3G and 1x? (BTW, I am going to try to make a slightly more legible 3G and 1x although even my eyes can read what's there just fine)

OP
wingdo

wingdo

Reaction score
Ok first metmorph ive done . Now have gren bars(thanks) any chance of gettting the colored x1-3g ones for same theme.

Attached is the 3G / 1x icon set I made and use. Although the 3G and 1x themselves are white, the data in and out are Green and Red respectively. The data arrows are good sized so I can easily tell at a glance if the phone is doing anything. I made this just for me, but feel free to try it out.

Let me know what you think. As with the signal bar, the background is transparent.

Edit: Added wingdo3L2black.zip which has black letters as opposed to white.

Last edited:

eagle1967

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.sourceryrom.com
thanks

cool colors i love colors :)
whoops though did the black one forgot it wouldnt show up to well on black bar.

I have all my text, battery,date and stuff red any chance you could make the 3g/x1 red. if you have time would appreciate that.

thanks again. looks great.

TAPOUT27

Silver Member
Reaction score
I tried this on the latest CyanogenMod Nightly build 7/21/10 and it worked great, 5 green bars....very nice...Thanks...

TRIKOTRET

Reaction score
hey wingdo, I remember you had a file to put Droid Does instead of sapphire banner in the notification. You still have that?