MLB.com At Bat 2010 in the Market

jpoutre

Reaction score
You should consider giving this app a try: RadioTime v1.0 Application for Android | Multimedia

You can listen to radio stations streamed from almost any city. Just select what city you want and it will show you all of the stations that play in that city, then you can save it to your favorites and access it anytime you want.

It's an AMAZING app.

I'm a big fan of RadioTime but no one should be under the illusion that it will enable them to listen to MLB games. Virtually all radio streaming of MLB games over the net is now shut down.

Really? I listen to sports talk for my home town which is across the country and I know they play local games on that channel though I'm not a fan of listening to games over the radio so I never stuck around for any of the broadcast. Kind of lame that they can tell if you're listening to it over the 'net and block it off. I assumed that it was the exact same feed that the listeners were getting locally.

Sports talk and the games are 2 different things. I know here in CT, WTIC-AM carries the Red Sox games and they do stream on the air. However, when the Sox are on, they do not stream the game, they are not allowed to. It's pretty easy for them to know you are listening on the NET, as they are the ones broadcasting it over the NET.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
You should consider giving this app a try: RadioTime v1.0 Application for Android | Multimedia

You can listen to radio stations streamed from almost any city. Just select what city you want and it will show you all of the stations that play in that city, then you can save it to your favorites and access it anytime you want.

It's an AMAZING app.

I'm a big fan of RadioTime but no one should be under the illusion that it will enable them to listen to MLB games. Virtually all radio streaming of MLB games over the net is now shut down.

Really? I listen to sports talk for my home town which is across the country and I know they play local games on that channel though I'm not a fan of listening to games over the radio so I never stuck around for any of the broadcast. Kind of lame that they can tell if you're listening to it over the 'net and block it off. I assumed that it was the exact same feed that the listeners were getting locally.

Let me explain. The feed you get through MLB is the same as the local radio feed. And for other than baseball games (and other blacked out programming) you'll hear the local radio station over the internet. But when the game comes on, the local station is required to block their internet feed and redirect it to MLB. It's similar to the NFL blacking out the local TV broadcast while you can still receive it by subscribing to a satellite package.

lakerfan82

Reaction score
Looks like the At Bat app was updated to 1.0.3, please post any comments! Has the 3G audio cutting out and score lags been fixed? Most of the games are taking place at big league Parks now...

Larry Mahnken

Reaction score
So I checked between innings today, and the app wasn't giving pitch-by-pitch updates (even though I was the one putting them in). So maybe that's not until the regular season.

Tierlifer

Reaction score
So I checked between innings today, and the app wasn't giving pitch-by-pitch updates (even though I was the one putting them in). So maybe that's not until the regular season.

I follow the Mets and used this app all during ST to listen and follow them and found they only used that feature once for the games I was checking out. It was WAY WAY behind too. I checked scores and games throughout the league all spring and didn't find any games using that feature so I am thinking you are probably right. I guess we will know tonight at 8pm EST when the season kicks off!

I really really hope they got all the major audio and other bugs out of this with this latest update!

Tierlifer

Reaction score

Let me explain. The feed you get through MLB is the same as the local radio feed. And for other than baseball games (and other blacked out programming) you'll hear the local radio station over the internet. But when the game comes on, the local station is required to block their internet feed and redirect it to MLB. It's similar to the NFL blacking out the local TV broadcast while you can still receive it by subscribing to a satellite package.

Correct. Except the ST games were all available on the internet without being blacked out in case that's what they meant, Once the season goes live tonight, it's back to being blacked out on internet feeds.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score

Correct. Except the ST games were all available on the internet without being blacked out in case that's what they meant, Once the season goes live tonight, it's back to being blacked out on internet feeds.

Actually, ST games were blacked out here in Seattle. I think the spotty blackouts may have been the source of some of the confusion. I strongly suspect that it may have depended on the contracts between individual stations and the teams they broadcast during ST.

But as you note, it's all moot now. I doubt seriously that anyone is going to be able to find a game on the internet except through a MLB source.

dima1109

Reaction score
Looks like the At Bat app was updated to 1.0.3, please post any comments! Has the 3G audio cutting out and score lags been fixed? Most of the games are taking place at big league Parks now...
I haven't had a chance to check the audio, no games going on right now. One improvement I did notice is that the lineups looks a little less fugly - they fixed the linebreak between a player and his position, so it's not a little easier to read. This app is absolutely crying for a landscape mode with Droid's screen resolution.

I was hoping for live video, but it was a very long shot. I doubt we will get it at all this season.

pilot25

Reaction score
Anyone listening tonight??? How is the quality and speed of the updates??

I think $15 is ridiculous for an app that has no video but might be useful if reports confirm quality during the season. ST reviews have been mixed.

Varking

Reaction score
I second that, can anyone give an update on the audio for the game tonight? Also, how quick do you get the video highlights after they actually happen?

reitman1

Reaction score
I second that, can anyone give an update on the audio for the game tonight? Also, how quick do you get the video highlights after they actually happen?

I have been listening to the Reds today and through 2 innings it has only cut out twice and it reconnected in a few seconds both times. The audio so far, IMHO has been more than acceptable considering my phone typically bounces between 1 and 3 bars in my office.

faxman75

Reaction score
Any updates on more quality from today's games would be great. While only one drop out per inning may be tolerable, i'm not sure if i'm willing to invest in something I have to restart 9 times during one game but as we have seen it's a bit different for each person so the more reviews the better! Thanks reitman1.

lakerfan82

Reaction score
I broke down and bought the app so I could listen at work. Its cut out maybe twice during the Dodger game so far, however, it now reconnects by itself, unlike during spring where you had to manually restart it. One issue that was a little irritating was that there was no pregame show. They had some talk show from another station playing instead of the pregame show. Anyway, it looks like they still have a few bugs to work out, but it is tolerable at this point.

faxman75

Reaction score
Auto-reconnect is huge. That was really annoying during pre season. I couldn't imagine driving and enjoying it ever.

lakerfan82

Reaction score
Another update from the Dodger game... I've had considerably more cut outs recently. Its been at least once per half inning now. All of the audio cut outs auto reconnected except for one I had to manually restart. MLB still has some work to do! :mad: