MKBHD's Top 5 Wearable Tech! (Late 2014)

Discussion in 'Android News' started by Preach2k, Dec 14, 2014.

1. Preach2k

Preach2k DF News Team Reporter

Hometown Brooklyn, NY Now Fuquay Varina, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,511
    Current Phone Model:
    Google Pixel XL/Galaxy Note 8
    Twitter:
    DroidNCState
    Marques Brownlee (MKBHD) has a Video Talking about the 5 Top Wearable Tech. What do you think? Do you agree? What will be your top 5 if you disagree?

• Like Like x 1
  2. pc747

pc747 Administrator
    Staff Member Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +5,906
    I agree with MK that once Apple releases their watch we will get the competition we deserve.
    [​IMG]

3. cr6

cr6 Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +6,707
    Current Phone Model:
    Galaxy S7 Edge
    Twitter:
    @dronewolfmedia
    That orange pebble thing is just wrong! LOL And they all still look ridiculously large on your wrist. I agree with the Apple comment....I think Apple will end up releasing a decent looking product that will end up being copied to death in the hopes that one of them actually sell. I think the only reason they are selling at all right now is due to those folks that feel the need to have the latest gadget simply because it's new and different. Not because it looks good or is practical. I do look forward to seeing how this plays out, it should be interesting.

S5 tap'n

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas Administrator

Ratings:
    +8,396
    Current Phone Model:
    Pixel XL
    Twitter:
    jonny_ks
    Very nice rundown of some I've seen before, some I've ignored, and some I forgot even existed. I'm starting to get the fever, but will definitely wait to see what shakes out.

I don't mind a BIG watch, but don't want something huge. Other than that, I can't decide if I like round or square better. My current "nice" watch that I wear for work and other occasions that require more than jeans and a t-shirt is square, so that may not be much of an issue.

I'm pretty sure I want Android Wear, but I guess Samsung's Tizen offerings wouldn't be THAT bad, since I'm not upgrading from the Note 4 for quite some time.

As you other guys have already mentioned, it'll be interesting to see what shakes out after Apple enters the market.

5. johnomaz

johnomaz Silver Member

Ratings:
    +764
    Current Phone Model:
    Google Pixel XL
    Have had my Moto360 for 4 months now and still wear it every day and love it.

As for Apple's upcoming watch, still meh.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas Administrator

Ratings:
    +8,396
    Current Phone Model:
    Pixel XL
    Twitter:
    jonny_ks
    Oh yeah. The apple watch won't even be on my radar, but it will spark the competition we need to really start seeing some innovations and steps in a better direction .

• Like Like x 2
  7. akhenax

akhenax Silver Member

Ratings:
    +500
    Is it possible for members of DF to be unbiased when it comes to smartwatches?
    I see myself as device agnostic. However, when it comes to mobile tech, I prefer Android because of the amount of tinkering I can do.

Tizen !!! Why?
    Apple Watch???? No.

Well, wait a sec...
    That Samsung Gear Watch Live was one of the only square watches that I would consider wearing. The only problem is buying into yet another OS. If they would make an Android version, then that would be a nice addition to my Tech addiction. Does Samsung really think it has the chops to inject another mobile OS into the ecosystem, and be popular doing so?

The Apple Watch, from what I'm seen looks very well thought of, and it will be the king of tech in 2015. Trust.
    The only problem is that it's useless without another Apple, namely an iPhone. Those that have an iPhone, and want a smartwatch will have no choice. Still, there only choice will be a good one.

Technology is increasingly evolving. The Apple Watch will copy cues from Android Wear, and AW will copy cues from the Apple Watch, and maybe even Tizen. In the end we, the consumers, all win.

8. johnomaz

johnomaz Silver Member

Ratings:
    +764
    Current Phone Model:
    Google Pixel XL
    I personally don't see the Apple watch as a good wearable device. I have to support a lot of Apple mobile devices so its same ole stuff for me, I just feel its old tech before its ever released. As for Tizen, I neutral about it. It works with Android apps. I just don't like the square look of watches. LG has their round watch but I feel the aesthetics of it makes it look like a cheap 9.99 watch you get at Wal-Mart. Apple users will eat up the watch because its an Apple product.

9. cr6

cr6 Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +6,707
    Current Phone Model:
    Galaxy S7 Edge
    Twitter:
    @dronewolfmedia
    I just think it's a more refined, professional looking device (Depending on the band you choose of course) compared to most of the Android related offerings currently on the market. That, and the sapphire crystal display.
    That's one thing Apple has always done well, and that's their commitment to overall build quality.

S5 tap'n

10. mountainbikermark

mountainbikermark Super Moderator
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,348
    I went with a hybrid. I don't wear watches because I destroy them by accident too often but the idea of reading my notifications without using the phone and taking the next leap in fitness tracking gear vs my dedicated pedometer and dedicated heart rate monitor then manually tracking my progress all in 1 on a device that is hopefully low profile enough that will not get destroyed caused me to take a chance. If all that was out there were the gargantuan smart watches I'd have passed on the idea. The Gear Fit filled my desire to what I would want in wearable tech. The last watch I had was a Casio one with built in calculator and address book and the Fit has an app for both, making it more useful than why I initially bought it.

Support Our Troops !!!
    <><
    Beast Mode 4

• Like Like x 2