[ROM] MIUI.us-Sholes-2.2.10 [DEV]

magiman7

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
MIUI.us-Sholes Development Build

This build is MOSTLY STABLE BUT IN DEVELOPMENT

This build was ported to the droid by MagiMan7 and TP4Bama, translations to english were done by MIUI.us

All of the MIUI.us build are now available on Rom Manager under MIUI.us which will allow automatic notification of future builds

Follow us on twitter for real time updates!
@magiman7 / @tp4bama

If this is your first time trying MIUI, read the MIUI Manual (credit The Batman) to become familiar with the interface and many of the hidden options.

Code:
#include <std-disclaimer>

/*Anything you do to your phone is solely your responsibilty, you choose
 to modify your phone. This rom has been marked BETA by the developer,
 however should anything happen to your phone neither of the developers
 "MagiMan7 and/or Tp4bama" nor MIUI.us nor MIUI.com developers are liable 
 in anyway.*/

COMMON ISSUES
  1. Facebook app will sync ALL contacts
  2. Instead of *228 call *228+ (hold 0 for + sign)
  3. If you have having launcher force closes, switch back to the stock theme to verify the theme is not causing the issue.
  4. If apps do not show up after initial flash, rebooting should make them reappear
  5. If you use Google to back up your contacts, restoring contacts with Miui Backup could result in duplicate entries
  6. Using Titanium Backup to backup and restore apps/data has reportedly caused FCs with certain apps
  7. [DO NOT TRY TO RESTORE SYSTEM DATA FROM ANY ROM INCLUDING MIUI BELOW 1.4.8!!!!!!! or you will get force closes...]
  8. If you cannot move apps to sdcard, uninstall app and reinstall from market
  9. If you have issues downloading anything, run Downloads app and cycle download with wifi
  10. If you cannot download / install apps from market, make sure you have "ROOT Permission" set to ON under SuperUser Settings.
  11. If you get permission denied, root not found, or similar errors, make sure you have "ROOT Permission" set to ON under SuperUser Settings
  12. If you get a crash from media player on first boot or when running Music or Camera, powering off and turning back on should fix it.

POST BUGS HERE IN THIS THREAD.

Local changes by US:
  • Upgraded Motorola Proprietary files to FRG83G (Prevents VZW OTA update from downloading)
  • Stock kernel set to ondemand governor with min/max frequencies of 125/800
  • Changed the default VM Heap to 32mb
  • Changed SD Card buffer to 2048 for speed boost (credit brainmaster)
  • Adjusted multiple memomory configurations - Between Multitasking and Balanced 3 with Hard to Kill Launcher from V6 Supercharge script (credit zeppelinrox)
  • Added 4-way Power mod (Miui.us)
  • Added all ringetones from CM7 and Pete's Stock GPA
  • Added vim, nano, bash, terminal mods, fix permissions script (CyanogenMod 7)
  • Added sysrw and sysro scripts to remount system partition with write or read only access
  • Added lockapp / unlockapp scripts to lock an app in memory (scripts by MagiMan7, idea from zeppelinrox)
  • Removed 3G Hotspot due to it not working
  • Removed ProTips due to it being useless
  • Added Rom Manager for easy updates (installed to /data for easier upgrades)
  • Added Google Apps: Car Home, GenieWidget to system apps (not available from the market)
  • Added Google Apps: Mail, Maps, Voice, Google Search, Youtube, Voice Search to data partition (can be easily uninstalled or updated)
  • Added Old 3D Gallery to /data (save system space and easily uninstalled)
  • Added Terminal Emulator from CyanogenMod 7 (moved to /data to save system space and easily uninstalled)
  • Added Stock Motorola Droid QuickOffice in data partition (can be easily uninstalled)
  • Added some build.prop tweaks (credit metalspring for collection from varioius sources)
  • Updated Busybox to 1.18.0 (credit imoseyon for cron setup script)
  • Setup cron to clear unused caches and restart swap everyday at 2 am (can be changed)
  • ERI Mod has been incorporated into the ROM, removes network name.
  • Changed some default settings (disable traffic monitoring, enable non-market apps, enable power monitoring, etc)
  • MMS Video Fixed (Credit Epicardium at MIUI.us Forums for original find)
  • Native support for a2sd+ as long as you have propery formated sdcard (credit DarkTremor)
  • Added native OTA from MIUI.us (can upgrade each week from native updater app)
  • Added swap options script (default set to none, see details below, credit TreyMotes for idea for swap file on cache)
  • Change so SMS messages over 160 char are split instead of converting to MMS
  • Added Virtuous OC (credit rmk40 and Virtuous Roms)

UPDATER INSTALLATION (if using ClockworkMod Recovery v3+)
  1. NANDROID BACKUP!
  2. Run Updater app (It will give option to backup data with MIUI Backup)
  3. If apps do not show up after initial flash, rebooting should make them reappear
  4. If you have issues after using the Updater, try wiping /cache and dalvik-cache
  5. If you still run into problems, lots of FC, reinstall with wiping data / factory reset
  6. Run SuperUser and verify / enable ROOT Permissions under settings

INSTALLATION (if not using ClockworkMod Recovery v3+)
  1. Backup apps with MIUI backup (just in case)
  2. NANDROID BACKUP!
  3. Flash this rom
  4. If apps do not show up after initial flash, rebooting should make them reappear
  5. If you have issues after flashing, try wiping /cache and dalvik-cache
  6. If you still run into problems, lots of FC, reinstall with wiping data / factory reset
  7. Run SuperUser and verify / enable ROOT Permissions under settings

Info on the MIUI Stats included in MIUI.us builds 1.7.15 and later
Please check out what they are and how we use them Here

img.php

MIUI.us Sholes 2.2.10 Here
md5: 47ad88b24981c0b67338fd21e4dfde80

Have Rom Manager automatically download zip on your phone (suggest downloading on wifi)
You must enable Web Connect in Rom Manager on your phone to enable this option and click Here

Themes available HERE

Themers: Excellent guide on creating MIUI themes HERE

CRON OPTIONS
The set of cron tasks is editable in the /data/cron/root file. The root file lists all of the commands scheduled to run and the scheduled time. The file can be edited to add tasks or change the preset ones of flushing caches. All tasks in this file will be run as root (superuser privileges). The default cron tasks has a command commented out to cause the phone to do a soft reboot everyday at 2:45 am. This may help keep phone feeling snappy each morning. Remove '#' to have this run everyday

LOCKAPP / UNLOCKAPP INFO
Run lockapp script in terminal or from gscript. Both scripts are located in /system/xbin. Both scripts take a single argument, the process name. For example the Miui Music player has the process name com.miui.player. You can find process names for most installed apps under /data/app (just drop the -1.apk from the name listing).

To lock an app in memory you run lockapp PROCESS. For example, to lock the Miui Music player into memory, run 'lockapp com.miui.player' As a warning, Do not lock more than 1 app in memory. To lock an app in memory, the app has to be running. If the process is not running, the script will inform you.

Once an app is locked into memory, the only way to remove it from memory is to kill the process. The unlockapp does extactly that. It is run with the same arguement, unlockapp PROCESS. If you wanted to unlock the Miui Music player from memory, run 'unlockapp com.miui.player' This will kill the app you are unlocking from memory. If you want it to run the background unlocked, you will have to re-run the app.

A2SD+ INFO
Once you have your sdcard formated for a2sd (Create a 2nd partition of type ext3 using Rom Manger or favorite patition manager), you can run command a2sd from terminal to setup a2sd+. Running 'a2sd help' will give a list of options available. Running 'a2sd install' will move all apps from /data to sdcard. Running 'a2sd datasd' will copy apps as well as their settings / configurations (/data/data) to sdcard.

SWAP OPTIONS
There is an included script called swap located in /system/bin you can run from terminal, adb shell, or gscript. The script takes a single arguement defining what type of swap setup you want. Options are file, compcache, both, none. The script will immediately initiate the swap system chosen as well as update boot up and cron files to keep the selection permenent. So whatever you select will persist after a reboot. To run the command, just enter 'swap OPTION'. So if you want to switch from no swap (default on new instal) to swap file, type 'swap file' and everything is adjusted for you. The swap option will be kept after updateing assuming data is not wiped. If data is wiped, it will default back to none.

VIRTUOUS OVERCLOCK
The virtuous overclock daemon will auto run as long as no SetCPU type apps are installed. The OC daemon will auto underclock the CPU when the screen is off. The daemon repsonds quicker to screen on/off changes than 3rd party apps. Options for daemon can be changed with included app (which can be uninstalled if you don't want to use).

Reaction score
So the status bar issue is fixed? Haha just finished setting up the last build. Oh well. Thanks as always magiman.

OP
magiman7

magiman7

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Yep, status bar is fixed. The signal bars should be good to go now. I don't know how long this fix will work for future versions, but at least we have something almost 2 months newer than before :)

Ozzie

Reaction score
Now there is some good news! I''ll be giving this one an update then...thank you sir!

XCellFoneSalesRep

Reaction score
Any idear why Andy's Extended Settings are not working for this updated MIUI build? Is it based off of MIUI 2.2.10 or is it a different build???

Reaction score
Any idear why Andy's Extended Settings are not working for this updated MIUI build? Is it based off of MIUI 2.2.10 or is it a different build???

That mod hasn't worked for the D1 in quite some time. A couple of us tried getting some assistance from Andy but I dont think anything actually came of it. If anything try finding the thread on xda and asking in there.

XCellFoneSalesRep

Reaction score
That mod hasn't worked for the D1 in quite some time. A couple of us tried getting some assistance from Andy but I dont think anything actually came of it. If anything try finding the thread on xda and asking in there.

Works on 1.12.16 and 1.12.30 without issue and i believe that they are the last 2 MIUI ROM versions, No?

Reaction score
Yes they were the most recent and I wouldn't know if they worked. I gave up after months of trying but I'm guessing another adjustment will have to be made because issues with the status bar was what was holding up these last few builds. If you would like to further investigate/try to find a solution maybe check out this thread as I don't know if Magiman will be able to help.

[MOD] Extended Settings Menu Options | MIUIAndroid - Redefining Android

phaze3131

Reaction score
so wifi tether app from the development thread on google doesn't work with this version correct?

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

OP
magiman7

magiman7

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
The extended settings mod probably does not work because the patch to fix the signal bars affects some of the same files the extended settings patches do. It is probably doable, but it would take somebody that understands the extended settings patch to go through and look at what needs to be changed or moved in the files that have changed w/ the signal bar patch.

I don't know why China keeps changing these things so much on a code branch that they are doing very little to. Development work on GB from China has definitely slowed as they have started focusing on their ICS v4. The same fix from 2.2.10 does not work on 2.2.17. I haven't had a chance to go through and look at everything to see if it can be modified to work.

As far as wifi tether apps, I don't know what may or may not work on this build since I know longer have service to test that type of functionality. The only way to know for sure is to try it.

OP
magiman7

magiman7

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
The extended settings mod probably does not work because the patch to fix the signal bars affects some of the same files the extended settings patches do. It is probably doable, but it would take somebody that understands the extended settings patch to go through and look at what needs to be changed or moved in the files that have changed w/ the signal bar patch.

I don't know why China keeps changing these things so much on a code branch that they are doing very little to. Development work on GB from China has definitely slowed as they have started focusing on their ICS v4. The same fix from 2.2.10 does not work on 2.2.17. I haven't had a chance to go through and look at everything to see if it can be modified to work.

As far as wifi tether apps, I don't know what may or may not work on this build since I know longer have service to test that type of functionality. The only way to know for sure is to try it.

metalspring

Silver Member
Reaction score
btw magiman, if you havent updated the version of zeppelinrox v6 supercharger baked into this you might want to in the next release if its at all possible, he's had about 7421370473217820742 updates and improvements lol...i might give this build a try sooner or later but i hate how slow it makes data for some odd reason??? (i could barely get over 1mb/s download speed while normally i can get up past 2mb/s???)

baggar11

Reaction score
How well does this release work on the D1? Since this is based on GB, are there any answering call issues like all the other GB roms out there for the D1?

phaze3131

Reaction score

TY so much for work on this :)

as for service you could always just connect to it without having service to test to see its able to broacast a signal, just like a wireless router not having a modem behind it.

Ty again I always come back to this rom!

GreenRaccoon

Reaction score
How well does this release work on the D1? Since this is based on GB, are there any answering call issues like all the other GB roms out there for the D1?

I haven't installed this version of MIUI yet, but on 1.12.30 (I think that's the version right before this one), I have no trouble answering calls. It might lag for a couple seconds before the answer screen pops up, but my phone doesn't completely freeze like it did on Liquid and CM7.

But right after I installed MIUI, before I could test for the phone calling bug, metalspring suggested that I unroot my phone and flash to the stock ROM with Motorola's sbf. Then, after I did this, I rooted and flashed MIUI again.

So I don't know if the bug was fixed when I installed MIUI or when I unrooted my phone. I'd say that if you're going to install a new ROM, you might as well try running the sbf (if you have Windows, that is; I don't know how to do it on Linux or Mac).