Miui Update and apps to sd-ext

bigee1212

Reaction score
Hey guys,

currently using Miui 6.3 and using Firerat's apps2sd-ext script.

FroYo a2sdext [ 2010-11-03 ] # v1.36 # in theory, supports HTC Incredible - CyanogenMod Forum

script works great with a fix i found floating around these forums.

i wanted to know if anyone here knows the best way to update the rom without losing my apps2sd-ext settings. ive tried updating without wiping, it messes up the script. ive also tried using a backup application (mybackuppro, titanium backup) and installing the rom with a full wipe and reinstalling the script, but the apps dont restore correctly. any advice would be appreciated. i just dont want to wipe reinstall and install every app manually again...

OP
B

bigee1212

Reaction score
lol... you guys can close the thread, i figured it out. for anyone that would like to know heres what i had to do....
update from 6.3 to 6.4 no wipe, just a backup just in case. then had to reinstall slayer's...

1. Check that kernel supports: (Slayer's does..)
mount -o rw dev/block/mmcblk0p2 /sd-ext

2. If not:
Take init.d files from rom that has correct permissions and files..
CHECK PERMISSIONS of old files before copying.
/system/etc/init.d/

Then re-run first command. Only run once. (unless errors)

3. Once verified, run Firerat's script

su
sh /sdcard/fr-a2sd_1-36b.sh.txt (this will depend on filename of script)

4. Boot immediately into clockwork and apply fix: apps2sdext_hack_new

not too bad, i just realized the init.d files had to replaced. the apps2sdext hack is a fix i found on the forums, attaching it if anyone wants it. again i didnt do this, credit to whoever did....

and hooray didnt have to reinstall all my apps. what a PITA. but w/e

Shusuke028

Reaction score
lol... you guys can close the thread, i figured it out. for anyone that would like to know heres what i had to do....
update from 6.3 to 6.4 no wipe, just a backup just in case. then had to reinstall slayer's...

1. Check that kernel supports: (Slayer's does..)
mount -o rw dev/block/mmcblk0p2 /sd-ext

2. If not:
Take init.d files from rom that has correct permissions and files..
CHECK PERMISSIONS of old files before copying.
/system/etc/init.d/

Then re-run first command. Only run once. (unless errors)

3. Once verified, run Firerat's script

su
sh /sdcard/fr-a2sd_1-36b.sh.txt (this will depend on filename of script)

4. Boot immediately into clockwork and apply fix: apps2sdext_hack_new

not too bad, i just realized the init.d files had to replaced. the apps2sdext hack is a fix i found on the forums, attaching it if anyone wants it. again i didnt do this, credit to whoever did....

and hooray didnt have to reinstall all my apps. what a PITA. but w/e

can I just flash this .zip file and I'd have apps2sd? If not, what does it do? I sound like a noob, sorry lol

OP
B

bigee1212

Reaction score
you need to partition your sd card to have an ext partition. it extends the install space of your phone to that partition seemlessly. i prefer it b/c i usually have my sd card at full capacity and without it i will get a low storage space. and it also doesnt give me any problems when mounting my phone via usb.

to answer your question, you cant just flash, but if you want to enable it, you need to

1. partition your sd card (use rom manager, you will format it so backup)
2. install a kernel like slayers,
3. then follow the commands i posted. i think its great, b/c i have a LOT of apps, and never get plagued with the low storage notification.

GL

Shusuke028

Reaction score
you need to partition your sd card to have an ext partition. it extends the install space of your phone to that partition seemlessly. i prefer it b/c i usually have my sd card at full capacity and without it i will get a low storage space. and it also doesnt give me any problems when mounting my phone via usb.

to answer your question, you cant just flash, but if you want to enable it, you need to

1. partition your sd card (use rom manager, you will format it so backup)
2. install a kernel like slayers,
3. then follow the commands i posted. i think its great, b/c i have a LOT of apps, and never get plagued with the low storage notification.

GL

Ohhh ok, i gotcha. So what is the .zip for?

OP
B

bigee1212

Reaction score
The fix is to do something with the mounting process of the sd card. So it doesn't bug out when you reboot your phone. It may not be necessary depends on the rom, but I know I had to apply it.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

StealthMode

Reaction score
I just tried this with 11.26 and it reset everything, doh! Thank god I have all my apps backed up.