MIUI Look with Launcher Pro Plus?

Dj Carpenter

Silver Member
Reaction score
I see. I never really looked at the Sense widgets to know if they were the same or not. I assumed so. But BW's sense theme is a bit off. But what about Fancy Widget Pro? Their clock is almost, if not exactly the same. What are they doing different?

Z

ZeroBarrier

He's asking how to take the MIUI icons and use them in non-MIUI ROMs, not how to replace the MIUI ROM icons in the MIUI ROM.

Dj Carpenter

Silver Member
Reaction score
is there any way to have the uniform icons from miui and apply them to other roms? that's all i really like miui for, that and the folder designs.

Just go inside the ROM like xformulax said and take them. Use something like Desktop visualizer or folder organizer to apply them to other ROMs. You might be able to replace the ROM's icons with them as well. Haven't tried that with anything other than MIUI. But, you'll only be able to take a few. Like gmail, dialer, contacts, mainly stock or very popular apps.

xformulax

Reaction score
He's asking how to take the MIUI icons and use them in non-MIUI ROMs, not how to replace the MIUI ROM icons in the MIUI ROM.

you're correct, i misread... i thought he said stock miui icons for another theme not another rom.

in that case he'll have to use something like bettercut to change the icons... or ask a theme dev for his rom to port the icons for him.

I see. I never really looked at the Sense widgets to know if they were the same or not. I assumed so. But BW's sense theme is a bit off. But what about Fancy Widget Pro? Their clock is almost, if not exactly the same. What are they doing different?

there is a BW sense theme that is near identical, you just have to know where to get it :)

the point is, BW put it on the burden of their users, rather than take the heat from HTC, which is fine because there is no way HTC is going to track you down as a single entity and tell you to stop using some theme.

Z

ZeroBarrier

Why do you think the original Fancy Widget isn't in the market anymore? The stock skin on Fancy Widget Pro isn't even sense style, and if a users makes a sense style skin, the dev can't get hit with a C&D order.

And BW looks totally different from the sense weather and time widget; for starters, the space for the flip numbers is more elongated on sense; on BW they look short and fat.

Dj Carpenter

Silver Member
Reaction score

Why do you think the original Fancy Widget isn't in the market anymore? The stock skin on Fancy Widget Pro isn't even sense style, and if a users makes a sense style skin, the dev can't get hit with a C&D order.

And BW looks totally different from the sense weather and time widget; for starters, the space for the flip numbers is more elongated on sense; on BW they look short and fat.

I never saw the original Fancy Widget. I've heard of it and if it's the one included in the UD ROM then I know what it looks like, but I thought FWP looked the same as sense? Oh, it's a skin that looks like the Flip Clock.

And that's what I was thinking. It's awkward looking with the sense theme applied, or what's supposed to be the sense theme.

Reaction score
I keep wanting to like the stock launcher, but its too slow and redraws all the time, even with samsonite's fix. I keep going back to Launcher Pro.

In the latest 0.8.2 update of LauncherPro Plus that came out yesterday, Fede added a new multi-tasking swipe gesture to the dock(s). It displays up to 16 of the most recent used apps. It’s brilliant and takes LPP to another level.

He’s an amazing developer and he’s presently in the process of rewriting Launcher Pro from scratch as a standalone home replacement app; as opposed to being based – as it is now – on the stock Android 2.0 launcher .

Google better try to hire him soon. He’s already created one of the best – if not the best – replacement launchers for Android that by far eclipses the stock Android launcher, and has huge global distribution. At the rate he’s going he might create a standalone that is so unique and popular that Google will have to pay him a few million to get more of the economic pie it generates. I find it hard to imagine that they don’t have their eye on him.

I’m using LP Plus 0.8.2 with signals23 modified LauncherPro Widgets, on Miui 0.12.3.2. I love this ROM and the set up with LPP. The rom blazes with no re-draws from LPP, which integrates super smoothly (of course you have to take the time to tweak LPP settings for your phone).

Anyone who’s a fan of LauncherPro and its widgets should check out signals23 mods:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=783427

Also check out this widget list organizing mod, AppWidgetPicker. It goes real nice with Miui:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=780828

xformulax

Reaction score
yea, his mods are nice... i've been using the XTG full prior to MIUI

Z

ZeroBarrier

That's all fine and dandy, but LP+ is just another home replacement. Sure it has a bunch of added features, but it's base and it's functionality is so similar to the stock launcher that it's not so "next level" as you say it is.

I don't think Google will ever pay him for LP+; remember, Android is open source and they don't sell it (even though I'm fully aware they make profit on it one way or another). So it doesn't make practical business sense to pay a large amount for something so similar and marginally better. They could code a launcher equal to or better than Fede can, and before you say "no they can't; remember they would put a whole team into coding it and Fede is just one guy. The reason they haven't is because they haven't wanted to.

Take for example the Gallery3D's slide show feature, it's so poorly coded. If you plug your phone in to charge and leave the slide show running, the phone will heat up to the point of crashing the entire OS and causing a hard reboot. And yet Google hasn't even fixed it; not even a mention of it.

MIUI Launcher on the other hand is nothing like the stock launcher, it's completely different, and in my honest opinion on a totally different level. I don't get any redraws from the MIUI Launcher even with 158 apps (not including system apps) installed using Apps2EXT. I also don't get any "choppiness" on home screen swiping other people are experiencing, which I fully believe is due to over saturated home screens (widgets, folders, icons, etc.). I do however experience choppy folder scrolling. And it's only going to get better once the MIUI Developers fine tune the launcher to use the Droid/Milestone Hardware acceleration.

But all of this is relative. To each his own. If you like LP+, then good. I used to swear by LP+, but now I love the MIUI Launcher, and I'll never go back. I don't care about the widgets or anything else because MIUI is rocking my world like no other ROM can (and the MIUI Launcher too).