1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Missing Something...

Discussion in 'Bugless' started by BigDaddyN8, Feb 2, 2011.

1. BigDaddyN8

BigDaddyN8 New Member

I recently switched to Bugless 6.2.1 was tired of the lag I was getting from CM, (thinking it was the adw launcher). With BB my first impression was it was a lot smoother. And really liked it..., now 2 days later my phone (D1) is having the same lag I was getting from CM.. when I say lag I mean the transition between pages staggers or stutters a lot, when I use an app and go "home" takes about 5-7 sec before it responds. When dialing the numbers freeze about 2-3 sec before entering. Just seems really slow and I know its not the rom because I flashed the same rom on my wifes phone (also D1) and runs really smooth and very fast! ... Am I missing something? I'm really just looking for speed and no lag in my phone. Any help would be appreciated. Here are some specs on my phone.

Motorola Droid 1
    Bugless Beast 6.2.1
    Slayher 2.6.32.9 Kernal
    Android 2.2.1

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App
  2. huskerkate

huskerkate Premium Member Premium Member

did you put in (or make sure it's already there) samsonite801's lag/redraw fix??

If you use ADW or LauncherPro and if after using your browser, email or any other apps for awhile, then if you press the 'HOME' button, if it takes forever to redraw your home screen, and you are sick of that HORRIBLE LAG, then try this: In a terminal, type su and enter. Then type echo ro.HOME_APP_ADJ=1 >> /data/local.prop and enter. Then reboot. Now evaluate whether or not this fixes your lag. If you want to undo what this command does, simply remove that toggle from: /data/local.prop

To remove the toggle: In Root Explorer, go to /data/, tap Mount R/W at the top, then long-press on local.prop and Open in Text Editor, then delete the line: ro.HOME_APP_ADJ=1.
  3. BigDaddyN8

BigDaddyN8 New Member

I sincerely appreciate your reply, but im kind of new to all this I guess "hacking" stuff,.. that said I'm going to be honest and say I have no idea what your talking about when it comes to terminals and typing things into it.. are there laments terms for this? I'm really sorry and not trying to be a pest by no means. Just a bit frustrating when my wife and I have the same exact thing but mine isn't doing what its suppose to. =\

4. huskerkate

no worries! every phone is different, and reacts differently to different roms, kernels, launchers, etc. your wife's phone may run perfect with BB and ADW, but yours may not. you may need to use GO Launcher, LP+, or try a different rom altogether... but, this lag issue you describe is extremely common with launchers and roms. this fix has worked wonders for many!

download Terminal Emulator from the market. when you open the app, it will be just a blue screen. slide open your keyboard, and then type:

su [enter]
    echo ro.HOME_APP_ADJ=1 >> /data/local.prop [enter]
    reboot [enter]

you'll need to type it EXACTLY as it appears above, with spaces in the correct places (after "echo", "1", and ">>")
  5. BigDaddyN8

BigDaddyN8 New Member

Ok that makes sense lol.. im going to try that now and see how it works, if not.. is there a Rom you suggest that has a better success rate with the D1? One built for speed and some UI benefits? And if so how can I get it. I currently am using 'set cpu' as overclock and using Rom Manager to flash the Roms. Underclock at 500 over 800. Thank you so much again for your help! =) I will let you know how that worked out. (Could just be my phone like you mentioned)

6. BigDaddyN8

BigDaddyN8 New Member

Update: Ok.., did exactly as you said and to be honest it did make a difference, been testing it for about a half hour off and on.. but it still for some reason feels like its missing that "zippy" feeling if that makes sense? But it is noticeably better thank you so much. If you still had any ideas (referring to my previous post) please let me know as im willing to try anything to be 100% satisfied with my phone. =)

7. aDroidman

aDroidman Member

Are you using the stock launcher of BB? If your using something else I suggest you remove it. One of the big problems that causes lag is the dalvik cache. If you clear that or just clear your cache completely it might fix your problem.....to clear your cache you have to reboot into recovery and then clear cache you don't need to wipe unless you want to.

8. mr_silent

mr_silent New Member

Yeah clean the cache and try not to have too many apps installed at once. Also try and keep your homescreen clear of excessive icons. Sounds like a low memory problem. Look into creating a swap file on your sd card as well. The app for it is called Swapper 2 and its available in the market for free.

9. webeougher

webeougher New Member

If you're really willing to do anything, then the first step is learning how to use Clockwork recovery properly WITHOUT ROM Manager. Obviously, different phones perform differently, but ROM Manager seems to botch installation about as often as it gets it right. Also, try to learn as much as you can about overclocking, underclocking, compcache, and using the terminal.

10. huskerkate

depending on the launcher you are using, there are various settings within the launcher itself that you can tweak to improve performance. the names of the settings are different in each launcher, but they are something like: lock home screen, persistent memory, flip speed, elastic effect, etc. just monkey with them a little, and see if you can't make a difference.

cleaning your Dalvik cache every so often (at least once a week), as well as using Cache Cleaner or CacheMate or some similar app to clean your cache at least once every 2-3 days, also helps.

also, you will see a lot better performance if you overclock your kernel. at 800, you will still see some lag. if you install a different kernel (such as a 1000 ghz or 1100 ghz), and overclock to 1000 or 1100, you will see a lot more zip and snap. (i have an 1100 kernel on my D1.) double check on this, but with BB, i don't think you need SetCPU - i think an overclocking function might be part of the menu options for the rom. BEFORE you do any overclocking, tho, be sure to read the thread called Overclocking 101 so you can understand what you are doing.

also, you may just be experiencing the effects of Rule #1 of custom roms: every rom runs differently on each individual phone. for example, BB is a HUGE favorite of rom flashers on this forum. but, on my phone, it just doesn't run very well. for my phone, the same can be said for UD - tons of people swear by it, but it just doesn't like my phone. you just have to try out different roms and find the one that works best for you - it's just a trial and error process. the great thing is (at least for me), flashing roms is fun and addictive, so finding the best rom is a good time!

here is the link to our custom roms section: Custom Roms - Droid Forum - Verizon Droid & the Motorola Droid Forum read thru the threads, look at the screen shots, and start picking ones that interest you, and flash away! try 'em all (i've tried just about every one): actngrezy's Project Elite, Liquid's LFY or LGB, Sourcery, Chevy's SS, Sapphire, UD, Raidzero, etc, etc, etc... :)

i also agree that you'll get better results by manually flashing in recovery, instead of thru RM. i always, and i mean ALWAYS, manually flash thru recovery. RM has some great uses, but it can be glitchy when it comes to dl'ing and installing roms. and, because you are essentially putting on a whole new OS, you want the process to be glitch free! i ALWAYS use my pc to dl the rom and then put it on my sdcard (and don't dl thru RM). then, here is the process i follow, and it never fails me:

1. backup your apps with TiBu (or thru Astro)
    2. create a backup/nandroid of your current rom (so you have something to fall back on if you experience any serious problems flashing a new rom)
    3. boot into recovery
    4. wipe data/factory reset
    5. wipe cache
    6. go into partitions menu, and format boot and format system.
    7. install rom zip from sdcard
    8. reboot
    IMPORTANT – after you sign into Google, and Google syncs all of your data, do not use your phone until the market completely downloads all your apps. let it complete the process before flashing any themes, kernels, whatever
    9. boot into recovery
    10. flash theme (if you desire something other than stock)
    11. reboot
    12. boot into recovery
    13. flash kernel (if you want something other than the stock kernel)
    14. reboot
    15. enjoy!
  11. BigDaddyN8

BigDaddyN8 New Member

Thank you all very much for all your help!! I greatly appreciate it. I'm learning so much and having fun doing it, and I will start downloading from my pc as I have to agree I don't want any glitches. Thanks again! So nice to know we have these forums!!

Sent from my Moto Droid- Bugless Beast 6.2 using DroidForums App