Missed Calls Issue

ontheway

Reaction score
Hello all,
I am having an issue with missing calls. When someone calls my phone it will ring like normal on their end, but it will not ring at all on my phone. The only way I know that somone has called is if they leave a voicemail or text message me. This only happens if my phone has been sitting with the screen off for awhile. If I have been playing a game or anything then turn the screen off and someone calls its fine, it almost seems like it goes into a hibernation mode and doesn't wake up.

I know its not an issue with data interfering with the cell phone, I have the data always turned off. This happens to both my droid 2's, any ideas? Is it a carrier issue? Thanks.

dssdroid

Reaction score
I'm actually having the same problem. I am able to receive txt and voicemail just fine. When someone calls me the first time, my phone never registers an incoming call (no call log, no ringer, nothing). If the caller then calls me again right away, it ALWAYS works the 2nd time, always. I haven't tested the time between screen standby and incoming calls though.

Hope someone is able to find a solution, I will keep trying as well and report any findings :)

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Have you updated your PRL?

*228 opt 2

Thats all I can think of. Sounds like a carrier issue almost.

dssdroid

Reaction score
guidot, Thanks for the reply. I've tried *228 -> 1, *228 -> 2. I've tried turning Voice Privacy on/off. I've tried doing a factory reset. I called Verizon and they basically had me use another phone (not mine) and did a test call to my phone. Of course this worked (using ontheway's theory), as I did use my phone about 2-3 mins before calling Verizon. I have my phone on maximum power save mode. I'm going to try maximum performance mode to see if that helps. If ontheway's theory is correct, it almost seems like the system "wakes up" on the first call (but doesn't log anything), then the second call always works as the phone would be already "awake". Also, I do get some calls the first time. Again, I can't remember how long the phone's been in standby before the call. It doesn't seem to matter who calls, or even my location. This can happen anywhere I'm at; most of the time I am getting really good coverage (4/5 bars). Hope this helps shed some light on this issue.

OP
O

ontheway

Reaction score
guidot, Thanks for the reply. I've tried *228 -> 1, *228 -> 2. I've tried turning Voice Privacy on/off. I've tried doing a factory reset. I called Verizon and they basically had me use another phone (not mine) and did a test call to my phone. Of course this worked (using ontheway's theory), as I did use my phone about 2-3 mins before calling Verizon. I have my phone on maximum power save mode. I'm going to try maximum performance mode to see if that helps. If ontheway's theory is correct, it almost seems like the system "wakes up" on the first call (but doesn't log anything), then the second call always works as the phone would be already "awake". Also, I do get some calls the first time. Again, I can't remember how long the phone's been in standby before the call. It doesn't seem to matter who calls, or even my location. This can happen anywhere I'm at; most of the time I am getting really good coverage (4/5 bars). Hope this helps shed some light on this issue.

Have you found a solution to this issue?

Lenagainster

Reaction score
Here's my theory: if I call another phone in the same room, both on VZW, I may hear two rings before I hear the other phone ring. If the other phone has Voice Announce enabled, it may cause another delay in that phone responding. Verizon gives 30 seconds, then the call is switched to voicemail. (Many threads have indicated this time can no longer be extended in the system). I think the caller assumes that as soon has he hears the ringback tone, the phone he is calling starts ringing. Not the case. Many callers don't wait the full 30 seconds, and hang up after they hear three or four rings. The phone they are calling may not ring, or only ring once. Missed call. Other times, I think the 'Network' is having a problem locating the phone being called, perhaps due to capacity issues, which eats into the 30 second allotment, and the call goes to voicemail without ever ringing the phone.

Palazuelosva

Reaction score
The last theory sounds reasonable, I some times get voice mails with my phone not ringing @ all

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

jj2palmer

Reaction score
missed calls and frozen phone

So I am having the exact same issue except it is a recent (i.e. last month) issue. I am missing calls and my phone is freezing up just like I used to complain about my Trio doing a few years ago. Droid 2 will be in sleep mode and I can't get it to wake up. It eventually turns off and back on but very unpredictable and very very annoying. Obviously, I miss calls when this happens, but I am also missing calls when the phone is sitting right next to me, on, and never rings.
WTH?? Any ideas???