Misconceptions on "Formating" before installing Mods?

Discussion in 'Blackdroid' started by bodean, Mar 24, 2010.

1. bodean

bodean Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    My understanding is, there is no need to do a full format/wipe if you are updating within the same BASE rom (ie. If you already flashed an ESE53 rom, no need to format again to put another ESE53 rom on).

Is this correct?

2. the blackdroid

the blackdroid Premium Member
    Premium Member Developer

Ratings:
    +0
    This is true in MOST CASES, BUT if you were having issues with the previous roms you should always run all formats and multipul times. Same goes for updating to a new kernel. If you had issues with a previous kernel you should go into the partitions menu inside the clockwork recovery (have to have rom manager installed) then format BOOT at least three times (after you have already downloaded the kernel and put it on your sdcard) then install it from there. :)

3. bodean

bodean Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Interesting. So a clean format to you is reboot into recovery, format the BOOT 3 times, then install the rom? I don't recall seeing a Boot option, will have to look again. I do remember seeing a wipe clean option

4. the blackdroid

the blackdroid Premium Member
    Premium Member Developer

Ratings:
    +0
    yes. I always to that before i make a new nandroid in order to make sure that absolutely no "garbage" as they call it gets left over for my users