Miren (MIUI) Browser.... Blacked Out... UPDATED 1/6

ecsnead69

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
this is the newest version, 1.2

This will install to /data, so just download the app, put it on your SD, select the app, select install, and you are surfing "in the black"....:)

I only themed what I use, if you find some stuff like rss feeds and such that aren't themed, just take a screenshot and send it to me, be sure to include the key strokes to get there so I can look at it to fix it....

Enjoy...........

http://www.***********/file/zuVjPdFZ/BlackedOutMiren2.html

Screenshots are from 1.1, but the look is the same exit that there is now a RSS feeds button on the main menu page....

Last edited:

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
Hadn't tried miren yet, but liked the look and now its all mine hahahahahaha.
Nice job on this.

Sent from somewhere...

OP
ecsnead69

ecsnead69

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Just noticed some issues with white backgrounds in the bookmarks section when you move things around. I will get it fixed and put out an updated version soon....

Sent just before I "Blacked Out"

Reaction score
I can’t seem to get this installed. I followed the instructions in the OP, but it doesn’t install. Any ideas how I to get this on? Also is this the most recent version?

I’m getting the sense that there’s something simple I’m not doing that would facilitate the installation. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

GirLuvsDroid

Reaction score
I can’t seem to get this installed. I followed the instructions in the OP, but it doesn’t install. Any ideas how I to get this on? Also is this the most recent version?

I’m getting the sense that there’s something simple I’m not doing that would facilitate the installation. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Yes, it's the most recent version (I posted the original apk that e.c. themed).

I actually used an update zip to install it to /system/app. If you're going to do this, you need to delete Browser.apk from /system/app first (at least I did). The update zip file is attached.

Reaction score

Yes, it's the most recent version (I posted the original apk that e.c. themed).

I actually used an update zip to install it to /system/app. If you're going to do this, you need to delete Browser.apk from /system/app first (at least I did). The update zip file is attached.

That’s great it worked; it installed via Clockwork recovery with no problem. Thanks so much. It is beautiful! Very cool!

Though I don’t think it is the latest version. I might be mistaken about the actual build number, but the version I just replaced with this black version was 1.1. Build 137 or 139. This black version is 1.1 Build 129.

The version I replaced had these additional features and UI enhancements:

1. A dedicated RSS link on the Miren home page that opened an RSS feeds set up page.
2. A new home screen widget with a display that could be toggled between the RSS news highlights and various website links.
3. New settings to choose whether short pressed links open in the same browser tab, or another browser tab.
4. New settings to choose specific long press responses (I may have the short and long press choices confused, but I do remember that they added additional function and user control)
5. New settings to designate whether a swipe gesture is to be used for page back / forward, or to change to other open browser tabs (if other tabs have been opened).

There may be other features which I had yet to discover. I hadn’t become totally familiar with the update, but you’d probably agree that the short list above represents significant improvements from older versions.

Here is a copy of the backup I have of the version I replaced – I think it is 1.1 Build 137 or 139. Droid forum’s system didn’t accept the apk as a valid file attachment, so I used Root Explorer to zip it. I am new to all of this and it’s the first time I’ve used Root Explorer to create a zip – or created a zip via any means for that matter – so I hope it’s whole and correct.

It has additional features which the black version does not have. Is it possible for you to theme and zip it so it can be installed the same way? (If you’re willing to do it and this zip doesn’t work, please let me know what I need to do to re-send it so you can work with it.)

Thanks again for your help and sharing you knowledge.

GirLuvsDroid

Reaction score
Though I don’t think it is the latest version. I might be mistaken about the actual build number, but the version I just replaced with this black version was 1.1. Build 137 or 139. This black version is 1.1 Build 129.

Do you know when this update became available? It's odd, because I had received several updates to the Miren Browser since I first installed it a month or more ago, but I didn't get this update notice (either as a status bar notification, or in the list of My Apps) and after reading your post, I searched for it it in Market, it is now showing it as Free (so not installed from the Market perspective). I believe it must have updated in the last couple of days after I posted the apk for e.c., but I'm not positive.

Unfortunately, I don't have the skill to do the inversion myself, which is why I asked e.c. to do it in the first place, so it will be up to him whether he wants to go to the effort to black it out again for the update. e.c., I'm sorry about the update!

OP
ecsnead69

ecsnead69

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I will get it done, but it will be a few days. My vacation is over so I don't have as much time to work on stuff....

GirLuvsDroid

Reaction score
I will get it done, but it will be a few days. My vacation is over so I don't have as much time to work on stuff....

I don't know how many times/ways I can say how awesome you are! (But I'll keep trying) Thank you, and take your time!

Reaction score

Do you know when this update became available? It's odd, because I had received several updates to the Miren Browser since I first installed it a month or more ago, but I didn't get this update notice (either as a status bar notification, or in the list of My Apps) and after reading your post, I searched for it it in Market, it is now showing it as Free (so not installed from the Market perspective). I believe it must have updated in the last couple of days after I posted the apk for e.c., but I'm not positive.

Unfortunately, I don't have the skill to do the inversion myself, which is why I asked e.c. to do it in the first place, so it will be up to him whether he wants to go to the effort to black it out again for the update. e.c., I'm sorry about the update!

I received it OTA during the last week of December, around the 27th. I had been a solid fan and user of Dolphin (regular, not HD), but when I got wind of Miren via XDA a couple of months ago I tried it out. It was in early beta and I kept close tabs on its progress because it had great early on performance and potential. The developers were in constant dialogue with users via their XDA forum, and were implementing user feedback improvements on a regular basis with constant updates. This was before it hit the market and also before I was using and become a fan of Miui.

In fact it was because of my experience following the early development of Miren that I finally developed enough curiosity and nerve to give Miui a try; I was a diehard Sapphire user, which I really dug because of its stability and CVPCS’s integrity as a developer. It was pretty exciting to follow the Miren development, during which a couple of minor suggestions I gave were implemented.

Anyway, during that period there was some Miren browser-testing.apks that were posted in the XDA thread for those who were following the pre-Market beta to download and test. A couple of them came with notices that the user should expect OTA updates. It’s possible that these updates were targeted specifically to the XDA beta tester downloads; I don’t know if they were.

The version I just sent you though is an OTA update from those XDA beta downloads. I’ve never downloaded Miren from the Market. All of the versions I’ve had were OTA updates from those early XDA downloads, so I don’t know if the version I sent you was on the Market.

I haven’t been following the Miren forums in few weeks. I’ve been using my internet Droid time following and participating in the D1 Miui development/porting roller coaster, which has been a lot of fun.

I looked at the current Market post of it and they have changed the version number to 1.2, I don’t know when this latest Market version came out. This is the first I’ve seen 1.2. The version number was consistently 1.1 for a while, though the build numbers changed. In the screenshot of the home page in the current market post there are 6 dedicated links (in the black version you zipped for me there are 4). They are labeled in Chinese so I can’t read them; perhaps one of them is the RSS link, though the English screenshot of the home page shows only 4 dedicated links: Top Sites; Bookmarks; History; Downloads. The description of recent changes includes the RSS feed reader, the widget, gestures, long-press options, along with other changes.

It’s great that e.c. is willing to theme the version I sent, though I wonder if he’s willing to theme the latest version that is posted in the Market. That is of course if it can be themed. I too don’t have the skill to do this work, nor the time to allow for my learning curve even if I were to attempt it, so I really appreciate the work that e.c. and others like him put into these. Whatever he decides to do is fine. I love the Miren browser. It is the best browser for my needs.

Reaction score

Thanks e.c. and do take your time. In case you decide to theme the latest version, here is a link to the Mrien Browser Google groups page that’s a preview announcement of the latest 1.2 version. It has a link to the download the 1.2 browser-testing.apk. I’m pretty sure it’s the first link listed in the post; I think the two links below it are for testers to provide the developers with foreign language translations.

http://groups.google.com/group/miren-browser/browse_thread/thread/efdb9249bf748a4

The 12/8 date coincides with when I received to the OTA, and they make reference to the Market update coming out a few days later, which means the update probably hit the market in the last day or two.

I don’t know enough to know whether it’s easier to theme the testing-apk or the market version, I just sending it in case it makes your job easier.

GirLuvsDroid

Reaction score
Okay, attached is the latest version from the Market, which has all the features Droidlovingyogi listed. e.c., when you get around to blacking this out again, please use this one (like before, I just changed .apk to .zip for uploading purposes). Thanks again for all the fantastic work you do, e.c.!

UPDATE: Oops, DLY, I didn't see your last post until after I posted this one. e.c., I'm sure they're exactly the same, so use whichever is easiest for you!

Just FYI, my Market is linked to Miren again, and the update is showing now. It was updated in the Market today (1/4).

Last edited:
OP
ecsnead69

ecsnead69

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
OP Updated...........

The newest version has been added to the OP...........