Minuum Keyboard Coming for the Moto 360 is Revealed

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
minuum-keyboard-moto-360-animated.gif

A keyboard app for the upcoming Moto 360 Android Wear smartwatch has been revealed. It's called Minuum Keyboard and it looks pretty slick. You can see a demo of it in the animated gif above. It's important to note that initially this is useless because Android Wear does not yet have text input elements built in without the use of voice; however, it's probable the functionality is planned down the line and this is simply Minuum getting ahead of the curve.

It seems like an impressive and creative way to handle a keyboard on a round-faced smart device. What do you guys think?

Source: Minuum

jspradling7

Reaction score
Interesting concept. I saw another idea that had the letters in a ring all around the edge, and you rotated the ring to move the letter you wanted to the 3:00 position. Looked clumsier than this idea.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
not sure how much ill use a kb on a watch but since I do not have one can not say. Guess it is good to have that option though. As far as kb I never saw minuum as a useful kb on my phone or tablet but I think it may end up being a perfect fit for smart watches.

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
I feel this is going to be a lot like the old T9 keyboards before smartphones. If it has good predictive text it may work for short messages.

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
I CANNOT WAIT to witness some fool with his wrist and fist inches from his/her face. Going both blind and crazy trying to hammer out a text message on a curved keyboard a quarter of an inch tall and just over an inch wide.
Seriously... I use a smartwatch and I like my smartwatch, but typing a text? Really?! Not interested.

Just pull your phone out and type. This is just the kind of bad idea that makes people say smartwatches are useless.

[video=youtube;lA6ey1SzHdM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lA6ey1SzHdM[/video]

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
I think it's a cool concept.

SpeJ3435

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
64GB White Nexus 6
I CANNOT WAIT to witness some fool with his wrist and fist inches from his/her face. Going both blind and crazy trying to hammer out a text message on a curved keyboard a quarter of an inch tall and just over an inch wide.

Just wait, next we will have 6" screens on watches...and then they will come out with a smartbracelet because people need something on their other arm because lifting the arm with the smartwatch on it will be too inconvenient.

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
Just wait, next we will have 6" screens on watches...and then they will come out with a smartbracelet because people need something on their other arm because lifting the arm with the smartwatch on it will be too inconvenient.

Nah.. we will never see a 6" Wablet. 5.5" will be the max.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Seriously... I use a smartwatch and I like my smartwatch, but typing a text? Really?! Not interested.

Just pull your phone out and type. This is just the kind of bad idea that makes people say smartwatches are useless.

I can see it for a quick text like "ttyl" or something but yeah if you have to type more than 3-4 words break out the phone.
My fear is some ya-hoo trying to text on their watch and drive. Because you know it is not a matter of if but when someone decide to cause a pile up because he want to talk about what happened at a party.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
I can see it for a quick text like "ttyl" or something but yeah if you have to type more than 3-4 words break out the phone.
My fear is some ya-hoo trying to text on their watch and drive. Because you know it is not a matter of if but when someone decide to cause a pile up because he want to talk about what happened at a party.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2
Good point. We all know the texting and driving is illegal. Not to say that it's not being done. If these devices get the traction that the manufacturers expect, I'm sure the law will be amended to add these devices.

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score

So, in essence, if they don't do things the way you do them, they are stupid? :blink:

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
No, it's called an opinion. I didn't state my way was the right way, I believe it's the more sensible way when this is presented as an alternative. I think a miniature 1/4" by 1" keyboard is a dumb idea and I also believe and if it goes to market a majority of consumers will agree. You can either agree with me or disagree that's what a "forum" is about.

ˈfôrəm/
noun

• 1. a place, meeting, or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged.

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
No, it's called an opinion. I didn't state my way was the right way, I believe it's the more sensible way when this is presented as an alternative. I think a miniature 1/4" by 1" keyboard is a dumb idea and I also believe and if it goes to market a majority of consumers will agree. You can either agree with me or disagree that's what a "forum" is about.

ˈfôrəm/
noun

• 1. a place, meeting, or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged.
You mad bro? :biggrin:

I see the potential not only of these devices, but also of having a silent way to quickly reply to someone. IE: you are sitting in a meeting and can't pull your phone out, you get the following text that displays on the screen:

Incoming message: "We still on for lunch?"

You type out, quickly, silently and without pulling your phone out: "yep"

Pretty sweet. If you don't agree with that then I do NOT think you are fool. That was the exception I took with your original message.

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
I do sound cranky, right!

No, no. Sorry, it reads much much angrier than I am regarding it.
I just think a better solution would be something like a preset scrollable menu of customizable instant replies.

Example: A text arrives and you get 2 nicely sized buttons "OK" or "Reply". If you pick "Reply" it takes you to a scrollable list to select a customized canned response.

I just think that would be better. It's just my opinion, and maybe it's because I have big hands.