Millennial Media's Q3 Data Shows Ads/Impressions for Android Doubled Over iOS Devices

Discussion in 'Android News' started by dgstorm, Oct 25, 2011.

1. dgstorm

dgstorm Editor in Chief Staff Member Premium Member

[​IMG]

Millennial Media released their third quarter marketing research data. Their data reflects the number of ads/impressions that are viewed on mobile devices. This criterion obviously gives more of an indicator of how much a device is used as opposed to how many there are out there, but it is still statistically significant for judging the relative growth of a product. Apparently, ads/impressions for Android devices doubled over the number of iOS devices. This is based on the quarter that ended last month, and shows that Android accounted for 56% of impressions. As you can see from the pie chart, Apple had 28%, while RIM dropped to a paltry 13% share, with Microsoft and Symbian sticking to their minimal 1%.

If you rank specific devices or manufacturers, instead of Operating Systems, things look different with Apple's iPhone topping a couple of lists. It's interesting to note how many folks are still using older devices, but not really surprising in retrospect. Here are some more lists below:

[​IMG][​IMG]

Source: Android.net via BGR and Millennial Media
  2. kodiak799

kodiak799 Well-Known Member

Interesting, since I think the last time I saw this data, maybe 1Q11 or 4Q10 Android and IOS were neck-and-neck. I wonder how double the ad-impressions translates to profits for developers, since clearly they make less purchase revenue on Android.

Also, I wonder if this is US-only. Because while many questioned the data that Sammie outsold Apple in Q3, the data would suggest HTC and Moto outsold Sammie, as well.
  3. akhenax

akhenax Well-Known Member

The OG Droid is number 4, for the top 20 mobile phones for Q3 2011! :icon_eek:
  4. rck76

rck76 DF Super Moderator Premium Member

Hey, it was awesome until I accidentally broke it.

sent from my liberated bionic using transparent Droid forums
  5. chewy74

chewy74 New Member

Long live the droid!!!

drooooooooid

6. kodiak799

kodiak799 Well-Known Member

I love how Apple has somehow gotten the IPhone counted as one unit in these surveys, eventhough it actually represents 3-4 different models sold in the market at different price points. You might as well combine Moto's Droid, Droid 2, and Droid X (or Sammie's Galaxy S line).

And how is LG Optimus #2? That came out of nowhere.
    1 person likes this.