Millennial Media's Q3 Data Shows Ads/Impressions for Android Doubled Over iOS Devices

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
BGR-millennial-q32011-1.jpg

Millennial Media released their third quarter marketing research data. Their data reflects the number of ads/impressions that are viewed on mobile devices. This criterion obviously gives more of an indicator of how much a device is used as opposed to how many there are out there, but it is still statistically significant for judging the relative growth of a product. Apparently, ads/impressions for Android devices doubled over the number of iOS devices. This is based on the quarter that ended last month, and shows that Android accounted for 56% of impressions. As you can see from the pie chart, Apple had 28%, while RIM dropped to a paltry 13% share, with Microsoft and Symbian sticking to their minimal 1%.

If you rank specific devices or manufacturers, instead of Operating Systems, things look different with Apple's iPhone topping a couple of lists. It's interesting to note how many folks are still using older devices, but not really surprising in retrospect. Here are some more lists below:

BGR-millennial-q32011-3.jpg
BGR-millennial-q32011-4.jpg

Source: Android.net via BGR and Millennial Media

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Interesting, since I think the last time I saw this data, maybe 1Q11 or 4Q10 Android and IOS were neck-and-neck. I wonder how double the ad-impressions translates to profits for developers, since clearly they make less purchase revenue on Android.

Also, I wonder if this is US-only. Because while many questioned the data that Sammie outsold Apple in Q3, the data would suggest HTC and Moto outsold Sammie, as well.

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
The OG Droid is number 4, for the top 20 mobile phones for Q3 2011! :icon_eek:

rck76

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
The OG Droid is number 4, for the top 20 mobile phones for Q3 2011! :icon_eek:

Hey, it was awesome until I accidentally broke it.

sent from my liberated bionic using transparent Droid forums

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I love how Apple has somehow gotten the IPhone counted as one unit in these surveys, eventhough it actually represents 3-4 different models sold in the market at different price points. You might as well combine Moto's Droid, Droid 2, and Droid X (or Sammie's Galaxy S line).

And how is LG Optimus #2? That came out of nowhere.